Pardancanda Sangria (candylily) leaf damage.

Sparta, NJ(Zone 6a)

This past season I planted Pardancanda Sangria (candylily) bareroot plants. They got off to a good start, but after the leaves got to be 12" or so, I noticed "runs"- dry, dead lines down the length of the leave, about an eight inch in width. They reminded me of runs in a woman's stocking. The damage occured down the middle of the leaves and not at all on the edges. There was no sign of webbing- or insects (unless they were very small).
The plants flowered, but probably not as nice as they could have- new heathy leaves appeared in the middle of the plant only to develope the same damage days later. I sprayed with an insect killer, but saw no improvement in the new leaves.
Is this an insect problem- or could it be viral? I planted 6 of these among dwarf shrubs in a narrow border- do I need to be ripping them out or is there hope to restore?

Many thanks for any feedback you may have.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Any chance you have a picture?

Sparta, NJ(Zone 6a)

No, Sorry- they're just chewed out parallel lines that go down the lengths of the leaves- I had thought slugs, but I didn't see any evidence of them- I probably just need to hit them with an insecticide early in the season and see what happens...the leaves were very healthy for the first few weeks and I was thrilled because the deer and rabbits ignored them-

I'll give them a second chance next spring and then out they go...the critters may have won the battle, but not the war! Next year I'm working on creating borders with flowering herbs and dwarf (non-invasive) bamboo.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds like it could be the trails of slugs or snails. Try putting Sluggo or Escargo (iron phosphate) under the plants. It kills slugs and snails, and breaks down to feed the plant, too. Not deadly to our furry friends like other snail baits containing metaldehyde. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1423&S=1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.