Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by melody
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Beautiful photo!

Marlton, NJ

What a lovely shot of the little guy, he looks wonderful surrounded by the roses!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

I have a little 'wild' area with some black willow, this pink rose and some ditch lilies. The Mockingbirds build there every year. It's fun to watch them raise their family. (both parents were sitting about 6' above my head and not happy that their offspring was the subject of a photo shoot. I didn't linger.)

(Zone 1)

What a great shot of that precious little baby Mocker!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

He/she couldn't have posed any better. It was one of those Kodak Moments.

(Zone 1)

Don't you just love the Kodak Moments! Most of my shots are of birds visiting the feeders and I'm always thrilled when I finally get a nice shot of a bird in a tree, or near blooming flowers. I love Mockingbirds but they always seem to nest low in the shrubbery, and boy will the parents ever defend their territory when young are in the nest! I've been dive bombed and screeched at in my yard in the past when they've nested in a Hibiscus bush or other shrubbery. I guess they just don't understand that I have yard work to do, LOL.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, the adults aren't a bit timid, and neither was this fledgling. He looked me over carefully, and I could tell by the gleam in his eye that he'd probably be a handful if picked up. I got quite a few shots of him/her while sitting there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.