Approaching winter

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

I didnt get much done this year that I dreamed of doing and now with every cooling night I feel the chill in my bones and know winter is coming before Im ready once again. I love the seasons but Id like for once to feel as if Id captured one little glimpse of summer. Anyone else in my boat or am I riding the waves alone? so much undone and little time to do it.

Longview, TX

You must be from up north. I live in Texas where it is still hot. I am ready for fall. It is a break from the heat. Sorry that you are in a colder place. When it is very hot, I wish I was closer to the north!! I wish I lived in the NW US....in a nice mountain area. Oh well...dream on....lol.
KELLY333

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I've been doing nothing much but working in my gardens - YOU'VE been a very busy person with all your disaster work- and I still haven't accomplished much more than I used to in a good week only a few years ago. I love fall, always have, and I'm hoping we have a good long one with mild temps and enough sun and rain. I'd also like world peace, ethical governments and an end to all discrimination, but who knows, it's all POSSIBLE...

Yes Kelly I do live in the mts of PA. I can feel the difference in the weather in the last week in my bones. I was in Houston for a month and couldnt take the heat much.Kathleen I look at the weeds in my garden and could cry but then I look at the blooms I do have and am glad I decided Id invest what time I could in gardening again. I was lucky enough to get two boys from the firehouse to help me with some things-but i cant let them weed-id end up with a weed garden for sure. They are good boys but unless something is flowering they dont know what it might be.I did get my hotbeds made and ready for seeds this week-a little late-but should be ok for perreniel seeds yet.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi marclay, We are not experiencing any cooler weather yet but it is rraining and I am in such pain in my legs that it hurtsa to just sit here at the computer. I didn't get much done during the summer either . with the heat and hubbies surgery time was a commodity that I had very little of.
Since joining daves I have aqired so many different seeds that I am hoping when fall arrives I will be able to get all my beds reworked and in the spring start filling them with all the beautiful plants that I hope to grow from all these seeds. I also love the change of seasons expeciall spring and fall but with them comes the aches and pain but at least I am still able to get around some and enjoy them. Its good to have you back on the site. You were missed by all. your friend, Janet

Thanks Janet I missed al of you too-I dont carry my laptop with me in the field-much too busy. I am looking to plant quite a lot of the seeds Ive acquired in my hotbeds this week between trips to DE and MD. One of my medics bought a house and had all her windows replaced so I got her storm sashes to put on top of my seed beds when it gets too cold. I need to get my trees and shrubs and heathers into a holding bed too before too much longer. I rode around a little after lunch just to see the goldenrod-joe pye and irone=weed and wild purple and white asters. I could get a lot of those wildflower seeds if anyone is interested.Im sorry you are hurting Janet-I walk as much as I can but broke down and ordered ahandicapped sticker for my truck because I just cant walk a far piece anymore. I dont know what people will think seeing my red light on my vehicle and yet a handicapped sticker-but I can still get in the ambulance an do patient care even tho someone else has now to go over the banks and bring them to me. I broke down and use a wheelchair and electric carts everywhere in arports too-cant do it otherwise. When Im out I just drive and go to meetings every day so the walking involved is minimal except in airports. I used to run thru OHare with the best of them-no more.Take care all.Shirley

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Shirley, the "wildflowers" that you mentioned are keeping my gardens quite bright right now. Last year, I decided that if they are selling goldenrod and asters and Joe Pye-weed for good money, why not just take advantage of my own private bounty! LOL, my family thought I'd lost my mind, but they're getting used to it, and this year, I've vowed to cut it all back before it goes to seed. Well, maybe not the asters. I guess it COULD be thought of as adaptive gardening...

Kathleen There is nothing prettier than a field of goldenrod edged with ironweed. My whole upper lot is filled right now.I have found that if the plants closest the house are pinched back early they get really full and beaautiful.Someones weed is always someone elses treasured flower.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Marclay I can understand your feelings of the red light and the decal. But you know what my lawyer said when I was fighting for my disability and they wanted to know if I still drove. He said "she is disabled, not dead!" That made perfect since to me. I took care of my hubby in the hospial during his surgery but if I had to go up and down those floors all day I would never be able to. My wal-mart knows me well. I don't even have to ask anymore for the key to the electric cart they see me and know what i need. I came to use these chairs after alot of self arguing. I finally decided that if i was going to take my kids shopping and enjoy the time with them then I had to sit. My girls are angels they don't seem to mind the chair. I was afraid they would be embarrassed and all.
Those beautiful flowers you are talking about must be ssomething.
I would love some seed if you do collect some. But please don't go out of your way just for me. janet

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

We always seem to feel that way marclay. It seems we are ready to go in the spring and then it gets so hot that we all we want to do is stay inside, then before you know summer is gone. I look at fall as a great time though. I love to get out and do some planting when the tempature is cooler. Then we sit back and enjoy it next spring.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

GH can back me up on this: I grow waaaay too much from seed every winter. I always think we'll make new beds, but then something seems to happen. Either the money isn't there, I aggravate my back by doing too much too soon, I hurt myself like I did this spring when I tore ligaments in my ankle...It's like clockwork, you guys!

Then, I am in a blind panic and guilty because I can't get them all planted like I'd envisioned. I do my best to keep them all fertilized and watered, but you know how quickly pots dry out, especially cellpacks.

I cease to see my seedlings as the wonderful possibilities they are and start looking at them as liabilities just sucking the energy from me. Aaaaaaaargh! So, I resolve to be more conservative in my sowing plans next time around.

And I start out that way....But you know....

This year I will be more realistic. :o) GH just grinned as I read him that last line, by the way.

This message was edited Tuesday, Sep 11th 1:21 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.