got to love Michigan!!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow is it raining at your house? we just had a BIG old thunder storm at least all the snow slid off the new metal roof we put on this summer now I have to go shovel it off the walk before the kids come for our Christmas dinner I think I'll wait for it to stop raining though it says its 43 out side right now !!! have a great day and stay dry ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It has been raining off and on here at our place. I'm glad some of the snow is melting. It will make room for all the new snow we'll be getting later on. It's foggy here. Glad we don't have to go anywhere. The dogs hate this weather. They don't like getting wet. :)

Lachine, MI

Yes, we have rain too!
Did anyone get their ark done?
This has been the weirdest winter I can remember!
Its also foggy here. Thick as pea-soup!
I've heard that Alpena has standing water everywhere.
My cat isn't too fond of the wet either! LOL

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

We had an old fashioned thunder storm with lightning!! Then the fog rolled in - thicker than pea soup and it rained cats and dogs. Fog seems to be lifting, but all is not done....wind and snow coming. BUT the days are getting longer!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

yaa for longer days the kids were here today for dinner they left a while ago some to Vasser and some to Aulburn I don't like them driving in this fog but there all grown up and think I'm just a silly mom the wind has realy picked up here and the rain is comming down I don't want to go out but Traveler will in a while I might need some hip boots ;0)
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

SURFS UP!!!!!!
Holy cow the winds are unreal out here in OZ
yesterday it melted and rained all day and today the fields are full!
there are white caps and its splashing up on the road and freezing
IS IT SPRING YET!!??????

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We're having wild weather here too. We lost our power around 12:30 last night. Thank God I have a back-up whole house generator that comes on automatically as soon as it senses the power is out. It is still running. I reported the outage right away last night. My generator runs on propane so we'll have to get out there to check our levels in our 500 gallon tank. I sure don't want to run out and not have heat with my mom as old as she is. We're babysitting the little granddaughter as well for the weekend and she's got some kind of viurs. She threw up her breakfast this morning. I'm praying I don't come down with this crud. Hubby is nursing a bad cold. I don't know what else could go wrong. Our vehicles are locked up in the garage and the openers are not on the generator so we can't go anywhere not that we'd want to. :)

I can see grass!! That is one good thing. The snow is melting and will make room for more to come. We still have a lot of snow but up around the house I can see grass in big spots.

The windmill down at the pond is going crazy. It pumps oxygen into the pond. The fish must be wondering what the heck is going on. ha ha ha

Hang onto your hats everyone. I'm going to go call Consumer's Power to see if there is an update on when our power will come back on.

Brenda

Man....I am down in the dumps...must be the after holiday blues....no sun...wild winds...dirty house...no ambition...plus lost the ring my DM gave me (it's been gone for 3 months) I've searched everywhere...it was her wedding ring and cannot be replaced....sigh...I need sun

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh sarv I'm so sorry you feel crappy...I've been feeling that way too...
I know when I lose things as precious as that ring I ask
God to reveal to me where it is.....so pray,pray pray.
Yes it has alot to do with the sun...it came out here today amazingly...
and I pepped right up!!

I hope you find that ring and I hope you feel better soon....

^_^

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know we really are a trio huh? I'v been kinda down also. The weather has been anything but down right? Its been blowing every where warm, rain, fog, snow, blizzard and thunder storms almost all in one week! Yeah you need some help looking? I live in Plainwell not to far from G.R. Well all of the Christmas stuff is put away. The village is down. That is an afternoon job in its self. Now the dining room looks bare. I shouldv'e taken a picture for you to see it. Every year it grows everyone buys me new pieces. My husband had to build be a new "strip" for this year lol. I really enjoy it though. Fun to collect the little pieces, will have to go looking for the after christmas bargains... Again! Have a great week. May it be filled with good news. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i too need some sunshine!!! sigh!

have you checked out the classified
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bulletins/all/

or the market place
http://davesgarden.com/products/market/

or the co-ops
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/groupbuy/all/

im always shopping for a deal and a garden boost! ;)

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Goooooooood Morning Michigan Gardeners....

It's a new day....yesterday is gone! thank the lawd....We lost power yesterday morning at 7:am....Wild blowing like crazy and must of snapped some of these antiquated poles Consumer's Power calls power poles....Thankfully we have two generators, and we got those hooked up. We were bracing ourselves for a 3 day wait....When I called for restoration I was told Tuesday at noon...but last night around 8 pm....it was restored... Amazing how we are so dependent on our creature comforts....I know for sure I would not make it if I lived in the 1800's. With all that rain, we still have alot of snow out in the fields....keeping fingers crossed the AuGres River does not decide to go over its banks, as I have about 1 mile of it that runs through my property....

sarv.......I will say a few prayers for you to St.Anthony...he is the patron saint and founder of lost items.....keeping fingers crossed for you that your ring will come up.....

Deann

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Good morning !!! well with the wind yesterday I could not get on line don't know why Loon I'm glad your power is back on and sarv I sure hope you find your ring I all ways look in the most unlikly places and thats where i FIND THINGS we still have snow but its icy on top so Realy slippery I don't like the fact that the ground is showing around some of the flower bed the snow was such a good cover for them
every one have a great day its back to work for me
Gloria ;0)

Looks like the sun may show it's face here today...it will be a welcome sight for sure. Plans for the day are to call the docs office and see when I can get DH in (he's been fussing with a bad leg for 4 months and I'm sick of it!!)

Next is a huge closet - referred to as the 'junk' closet. It's getting cleaned out. I'm planning on doing one a day and that will make a dent into my organization. Need to order some petunia seed too...

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Sarv...another thought (ring) do you have grandkids?? My neighbor once lost her ring
and as she was a few years later cleaning out some toys to get rid of from her kids she found her ring in a ride on toy under the seat, you know how they have "compartments" on the seats...and low and behold there it was...someone liked it so much he thought he would take it for a ride. My son was they same way with anything sparkling and shiny...
I still remember when he was between 2-3 we were in Sears and I turned to check on him and he was trying to stuff a watch off those tables they stick in the ailses in his tiny litttle pocket as a manager conveintly strolls by....I almost had a stroke right there...he was so mad he couldn't have it and my older one was just a giggling away that devilish giggle...
It wasn't funny at the time but I look back now and think about him trying so hard to shove it in his little pocket and he was so little...yeah so he's been a crook from way back when...LOL. I will keep praying that you find your ring....the sun is peeking here WOO HOOO what a welcome sight...

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!! ^_^

Delane

deth....I wore the ring when I was visiting my sister...took it off at night and put it on the nightstand. Couldn't find it the next day, but thought I had stashed it in my suitcase. Got home and it wasn't anywhere in my suitcase...called my sister and she couldn't find it either. sigh....I am careless ...

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

awe I'm sorry....my husband bought me a pair of diamond earrings, not huge ones...lol
anyways I was in the show with my son and I always check them and one was gone....I had a heart attack my son went to the front desk to see if anyone turned it in and no one had...
I felt so sick.....a few months later I was vacuuming the kitchen floors and I was near the dishwasher and low and behold the vacuum must of helped pull it to the front and I seen it and threw the vacuum back so it would n't get sucked up.....ughh I was so happy. I prayed to find that to and I did! I don't really wear them anymore that was to close of a call I need to get them reposted with screw on backs... The sun is out here what a complete difference it makes...instant energy!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

my wedding ring ,and band came up missing 2 yrs.ago. we've checked everywhere!But i've never checked way back behind my dishwasher.Tomorrow i'm pulling my dishwasher out and checking way back UNDER it!! Thanks for the idea.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

It is alays fun to find something you know has been lost for awhile. Kinda like Christmas huh? Wow a wedding righ missing huh? Hope you find it!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh dear I sure hope you find it....that has to be a horrible feeling to say the least!!

Whats everyone doing tomorrow evening???

Almont, MI

Monday morning we weren't doing anything, as of 7:30 that night we were having company, and this evening confirmed at least four tables for a euchre tournament. and I have a cold. Why do I do this to myself?

Because I love having my friends and family over. I also mean "over", most spend the night so I also do a breakfast.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

that sounds like a great time to me
i need to play euchre!!!

i have had a cold since right before Christmas and its starting
to get a lil better now!

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Dori, I hope you didn't catch it from me LOL. I was so sick both my eyes swelled shut and I couldn't see the puter to read DG. Wound up with a sinus infection, but am much better now. I hope no one else gets this as it is not pretty!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh wow you guys Please don't send it this way!!!! I hope you are all feeling better to day for the big New Years night we are not doing any thing I have to work today and tomarrow the little mister played drums in a band for so long I got to the point that home on New Years was the only place I wanted to be hes like that also now that he dosent play any more
have a great day and for all of you that are going out to night please be safe ;0)
Gloria

Well, we WERE going to the movies and out to dinner, but now we're babysitting the DGkids. Oh well, we can do the movies another day...

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Well you could rent a movie and make pop corn throw pillows on the floor and still have a movie night
or go out side and make a fire and roast hot dogs I loved doing that when my grand kids were younger now there to old for THE KIDDIE STUFF shame too cuz I still like to do that;0)
Gloria

DGs's are both under two.....I'm not taking them outside!!! They'll both be in bed by 8:30pm....the oldest one who is 12 was invited to a party, but it's still up in the air whether he will be going to that or coming here...he likes to stay up until midnight and I can never make it...(hope he goes to the party!!)

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

We are getting together with DS"s girlfriend's parents....were having dinner going to the show and coming back here for cards,games,and watch the ball drop and then sing Happy Birthday to girlfriends father...he's a new year baby....and then we'll have cake.
Most excitement I've had since July....and looking forword to it....

Happy New Year Everyone! Be safe if your out on the roads tonight....
And may we all have a safe, healthy, peaceful, and prosperous 2009!!

God Bless Everyone!! ^_^

Delane

Sand Lake, MI

On a sad note, I am glad to know I am not the only one with a habit of losing nice jewelry. I have put the screw backs on my diamond earrings because I lost 2 pair. Unbearable. Then last Christmas I lost my beautiful 10 anniversary ring. Still can't find it. Sarv, I hope your ring turns up in the most unlikely place.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't look out the window. I don't go out doors. well, except to give hay to horses and feed and water the chickens, who mumble and grumble. They don't come out of the
stinky hen house nearly at all. ugh. Mr. Bocker asked me for a air cleaner the other day. I told him to get his hen girls laying eggs and I would consider it.

Did anyone read that funny story about where does their seeds come from ? this gal got asparagus shipped to her in "time to plant them" in December, in WI.!!!!

I can almost get excited about the seed catalogs starting to arrive. Not quite. I told DH to bring up my light system and trays he built a few years ago end of January. We have a little teener GH that I can transfer the seedlings to in March now. Thank God. No more blown over seedlings, washed out seedlings, rained away snowed up drought dried hurricane blown dog dug chicken picked seed packs.
The gh is 6 foot by 8 foot, but has managed to withstand the 60mph winds we had the other day, and the blizzard and wind driven ice. Nice.

This is the year we are cutting the chickens wings. I am so sick of them destroying my gardens. I don't want to hear from anyone telling me, "oh thats so mean". I couldn't kill our turkey for thanksgiving this year, because my girlfriend Linda flew out here to save its life. so, we had an Otto's turkey instead.

I am glad everyone is getting through the winter.
Cottage, your DH had surgery? All betta now? Good wishes for him!
Regards to all
sheri

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

sheri sounds like some one needs big shot of sunshine ;0) I'll be whining this summer when stuff starts comming up and Traveler starts pulling it up any one got suggestions on how to keep a Lab pup out of the garden ????
have a great day
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I thought of you Gloria, last night when my big lab decided to half lay on my lap while watching a movie, what was with that? He is doing strange things lately that he has never done before. Getting old, I guess.

I am not sure how to keep Traveler out of the garden. Why does he play in there? The only problems I have with my dog is that he steps on stuff he shouldn't. I will never forget the time we were in the swamp one spring and DH called to me to see the largest Jack in the pulput he had ever seen, before I got there, the dog (wondering what was so exciting) stepped right on it and broke it down into the mud. I then heard. "don't bother coming over here, it is gone"

They can be brats sometimes.

I have never had chickens, but I am not sure that would be mean to clip their wings, if it keeps them safer and keeps them out of trouble. Would be no different than declawing a cat, or putting a dog on a leash to me. But, then again,I think it is ok to raise chickens for eggs and dinner. Sounds like your chickens have a pretty good time.

Almont, MI

Early this fall my 115lb. yellow lab spotted a squirrel running into the greenhouse solid full of mums. He did one complete "lap" in the mums, (which were tight but not touching) the squirrel came out my end, followed by the dog, it spotted me and turned and went right back in. Followed by the dog. Lap 2. My dog's name is Tucker the neighbors used to wonder what the heck I was yelling all the time. Finally both exited the greenhouse and I just stood there not knowing if I wanted to go see the damage. I finally went in, one (1) mum tipped over, nothing else touched, not even a broken arm!

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 11:50 AM

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Sheri,

Years ago I helped a girlfriend clip her friend's chicken's wings. I was younger and skinnier then and my job was to run them down and catch them. OMG, we laughed so hard trying to catch those chickens. I'd hold them and she'd clip just one wing. You don't have to clip both. If one wing is cut they can't fly. It took us all afternoon to get the job done. I still smile thinking about the experience. I'm sure I couldn't do that again. We've tossed around the idea of getting some chickens. The neighbors have them along with two cows and some pigs. I'm still thinking about it. :) We do like fresh eggs. Last summer we bartered. I let them in to pick veggies in the garden and they brought me fresh eggs. Works for me. :)

The sun is shining here. I'm glad. When I don't see the sun I get sad. Hubby and I have been watching a lot of movies on TV. Not much else to do in the winter here. We're not into winter sports like snowmobiling or ice fishing.

It won't be long before spring comes. December is long gone and before you know it January will be gone too. The next 8 weeks are the roughest. I bought a Farmer's Almanac and it predicts an early spring. If they are right we might be able to get our gardens planted a couple weeks early. Says we'll have normal temps this summer with less than normal precipitation. I'd love to get a headstart on the garden. I skimmed it fast but will go back and re-read it again.

Hang in there everybody. We can get through this together. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

cparts Traveler is on the couch with me every night like that I just want to teach him that he can't be in there with me or run by and nip the flowers off in passing like he was doing last fall but he will be a year old July 3 so maybe he will be a little calmer (sure he will) ;0)
Gloria

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

We went to the show last night and seen Marley and Me....
What a good show!! really makes you appreciate your animals all the more!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

awww I heard it was a sad show is that true? I love animal movies they seem to always tug at your heart string, mine at least! My youngest daught absolutley love home ward bound and milo and otis when she was around 3-6.. almost evey day she would watch them. She knoew all the words by heart. So cute. Ronna

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Well yeah it is a tear jerker...everyone was sniffling....but it was a really good movie.
No garbage language and raunchy scenes just a good family movie...a true story as well.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I will not go to a animal tear jerker. Hooch and me was the final straw.
sher

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

did you see all the new co-ops starting ......hostas and messenger and canna and pepper seeds!??

my road is solid ice! my sis had to stop here at 7am because the highway was solid ice and she hit a bump and was side ways across all 3 lanes and then back across the other way so she got off at wilder road and followed the salt truck but had to pass him because he was doing like 2mph
She got here and crawled in my ice steps and up to a bedroom= didn't know she was even here till i got up and Kegan ask if that was Aunt Dar's truck in the driveway! lol I did hear the door open but thought is was DH

sure wish spring would get here!!!
ive already ordered plants and lilies!
have tulips in the cellar that i will have to get planted first!! snickerz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.