Help! leaving town and it looks ready to bloom - what to do?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I potted up a new hipp. bulb and it's doing beautifully. But we'll be out of town for a few days and I just realized I might miss the big day! Is there a way I can slow it down? If I put it in the garage, which is like 35F, will that slow it down or kill it? Advice?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

don't know carrie. I would think the sudden change may cause the bloom to drop or shrink. Will you be gone more than a few days? My Lady Jane has been blooming since T/giving, and still going strong. Yours should do the same, no?

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Carrie, no expert here, but the flowers last about 1 week each (or more), so maybe you'd be back in time! I would not put it in a cold garage, but if you can place them somewhere around 55-60, it should be enough, I think?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmm maybe I'll just turn the house heat down and move it away from the window? We've been enjoying the other massive bulb (whose proper name I have forgotten) for such a long time, it seems, but I think it finally put out its last four (!) blossoms for Christmas Day. And I potted up the other one so we'd have a succession of blooms, totally blanking on the New Year's Day trip. #2 is just buds, but two strong, healthy, exciting buds, and I seem to recall there is something novel about the inside - Renoir-like, or streaked, or wondrous in some other way! And #1 may yet produce a third bud, it looks like, too. It's so exciting!!! Almost better than real kids - cheaper and less anxiety.

Thanks for the tips, folks! Who got two turtledoves today?

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Carrie,
How are you, was your trip, and did your bulb do?
I think of you often.
Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Sheri! It was lovely, except for two expensive extra days because there were no seats available on the plane - a hazard of standby travel! Came home to a bulb that was politely waiting - moved it back into the sun and shazam, beautiful. If I can find a pic I'll post it.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Cool...er Warm...hehehe..Happy New Year friend!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.