sweet fern

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm looking for a mailorder plant source for these and haven't had much luck yet. I'd like about 25-50 plants. Anybody know where to find some?

Napoleon, OH(Zone 5b)

Fairweather Gardens had sweet-fern in their fall catalog. I haven't received their spring catalog yet but hopefully it will be in it.

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks. Everything i'm finding is pretty pricey so I'm not sure I can meet my goal. I want it as a native browse plant to border the food plots for deer and other wildlife. I have read it makes good winter browse. If I have one or two, they will be eaten to the ground where I will put them. If anyone knows of a restoration type of nursery that might have quantities that would be awesome. Or if youhave soem to share lmk, I have lots of natives to trade come spring!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I can't get a clue as to where you live. But Outback Nursery, just south of St. Paul, MN has it.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Sweet fern grows here in one place that I know of. I read that it is an invasive?? I think it is a beautiful plant but have found the roots go quite deep. Will it start from cuttings???If so, I can get those this spring!!
Debc

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Where'd you read that it's invasive? It's a slow-growing native shrub that's listed as threatened or endangered in some states. The U. Conn. site says it's "hard to transplant and establish under cultivation" and "not easy to find for sale".

Since it's fragrant, I doubt deer would eat it much, but I don't know.

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20o?search=Comptonia+peregrina&guide=Trees

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I looked at your link and indeed that is it. I don't recall where I saw that it was considered an invasive. I will try the stem cutting this summer when I can find it again. I know where it is located, just not exactly which shrub. I am ok with ID-ing plants but I am really a mammalogist. If anyone else is interested, I would surely trade for cuttings this summer when the leaves come out again.
debc

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know if I would call sweetfern invasive, but it certainly is tenacious. And I have seen it as the first plant species (practically) to invade old gravel pits (northern Minnesota), and it produces quite the "carpet" over many years without competition. It is a relatively slow grower.

Regarding propagation, M. Dirr says:
Stem cuttings from mature plants root poorly. Root cuttings work well and the following recipe (PPIPPS 24:364) is foolproof. Roots dug in late winter-early spring, size1/16" wide and 4" long or 3/8" wide and 2" long, fine sand: peat medium, pieces placed horizontally 1/2" deep, develop shoots and additional roots. These can be potted. Young shoots can be easily rooted using 3000ppm IBA-talc, mist. Cuttings 3" longor less work best.

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone for the info. Still no luck. I think I will have to spring for one or two of the more expensive plants and try dividing. I would much rather prefer to find a native source rather than what may be a nursery hybrid. I think that Shooting Star had it, so I may try there. I think one of the reasons it, like many other native shrubs have become increasingly rare is due to overbrowse by deer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.