Mulches

Kannapolis, NC

I've tried different things for mulching my plants. Last product we've used is pine bark mulch, the finer grind. I used cypress mulch until I read about the shortage of cypress trees as a result of this mulch. Also, DH bought from someone a mulch that I absolutely hate. It is nothing but wood chips, and rather large ones at that. That stuff will never break down! AND every time I work in one of the beds where it was applied, I always end up grabbing hold of a sharp end. We're gradually getting rid of that stuff. Pine needles here are very expensive but look great. I've heard of cocoa hulls, but haven't seen any at the garden centers here. We have a large yard, so anything over $2.50 a bag would bankrupt us! The natural area, of course, is mulched with leaves every fall, so that's not an issue.

Anyone have any other suggestions? BTW, I don't like those colored mulches at all.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

After using a few different types of mulch, I've settled with the fine pine bark mulch, which seems to be a bit superior for overall purposes.
Rj

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Occasionally, I am the beneficiary of free mulch, some of which is rather chunky.
While I prefer a finer mulch, I also appreciate it as a temporary cover.
When I'm ready to replace it with something finer, I transfer the chunky stuff to the orchard & spread it as a base for a compost pile. It takes longer to break down, but eventually becomes a very nice mulch. I have also used it in my veg garden.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I use leaf mulch every fall, plus some grass clippings occasionally. In spring or early summer I apply wood bark mulch over top of anything that remains. I've tried all types, from the big chunks to finely shredded. This past summer I used pine fines for the first time and I liked it a lot. It has to break down and feed the soil much faster than larger pieces. Time will tell how much it does for the soil I guess.

Karen

Keystone Heights, FL(Zone 8b)

Everything I can mow goes down as mulch. I've even had to switch to using paper for my compost browns because I'm not willing to let a leaf or blade of grass get away. I have even been known to beg for bags of leaves from other people. It breaks down and is absorbed twice a year, but those are nutrients that go back into the bed. Plus in some places, any wood lying on the grounds attracts termites. I know they are just doing their job, but I don't want to feed the little jokers.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I snagged 6 big lawn and leaf bags from my father in law yesterday. I'm going to mow them over and stick them in my compost pile until I get my flower beds set up.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The neighbors think I'm a bit whacked...the lawn service bags all the leaves and clippings separately, and it only takes 1/2 a block for me to pick up the bags and fill the explorer..
I dump it on the beds usually from now until summer, then give it a rest for a while. Everything grows huge.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

rjudd - Isn't that the best way to know if you are truly a Gardener - your neighbors (and family members) think you're "a bit whacked"! LOL Samantha

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have just begun to appreciate mulch....to keep weeds down. I use everything I prune, cut off/back/up, ANYthing as mulch. In the current storm we have lost two trees (fell down) and I will stomp all over and run the mower over the small branches and use them as mulch. After I have dug out a bed or pruned way back, I try to run over it all with the lawn mower...makes great mulch!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...your probabably right Samantha.

What trees did you loose Carol? Hope not any of the palms.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Two of the Ohia (a native tall skinny tree) went over: one from a rotten trunk and one was uprooted. The second one totally crushed a Versefeltia splendida - and missed everything else! The Ohia are so shallowly rooted they topple quite easily. it has been raining non stop so we haven't gone out to clean up!!! Too busy staying dry and warm!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh yeah, those are the tree's that are first to appear after a volcanic eruption...right?
It's been weird as heck here..it seems like Florida's weather took a vacation over here, and they got our weather. A few floridians have said it's frozen several times already. Every week we go through:
Sat-Sun - begins very warm, ending with a cold front, dropping 20 or more degrees
Sun-Mon - remains cold in the high 40's
tue - wed warming trend
thur-sat high 70's and lows are in the 60's
Repeat

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

but then I should note that today it's 65 in NewYork and 47F here.
all that hot air that blew through here the last 4 days is making it's way up north

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here in Cincinnati, it was 60 on Friday, 70 yesterday (Saturday), in the 40s today. Also was 3 degrees last Sunday and Monday, so go figure.

Karen

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes, Randy...the Ohias are those trees.

Our temps are in the mid-60s with 5-8 inches of rain a day...we have windows but many of our windows are just screens...like the lanai where I am right now...and everything is WET. We can't hear the news on the TV for the sound of the rain...really very tropical but too darn cold! at night I have a heating pad at my feet so I can sleep (DH, who is skinny as a rail is too hot with the comforter on and I need another one!!!).

C

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah..yes, that night time rain made me sleep so good.
It beats taking the water truck around though right?
We're down right spring like today.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Hemophobic, instead of buying mulch by the bag, try looking into getting a delivery of bulk mulch. Even though I have a small garden, I need about 25 bags of mulch a year. Even at the lowest prices, that's more than I want to pay. A good mulch runs around $20-$30 a yard here. And I find these much better than the bagged mulches. If you have or know someone with a pickup, there's no delivery charge.
Jo-Ann

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You also might try renting a chipper shredder and do alot of pruning!!!!

Kannapolis, NC

Thanks, everyone. I know the mulch would be cheaper by the yard, and we've actually purchased it that way, but moving it is a real pain in the back! The bags are easier for us to handle and even though it's more expensive, I guess we'll just have to take the hit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.