ID anybody?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha,

Can anybody id this plant? I have a couple of these in the garden and have no idea what they are - some type of lily?

Usually we see the bloom in January / February but this particular one is very early this year, perhaps because of the rain we had. I sure would like to get some more even though they only last a few days...

Mahalo.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

A close up of the flower...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
se qld, Australia

It's a Hippeastrum in Australia, or an Amaryllis in the US. Take your pic. :)

Well! Thank you so much, it doesn't look like any of my other Amaryllis, (the plain old boxed ones like Appleblossom), I would never have guessed!

Gosh that was quick!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

maybe this? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/186933/

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Or this? The lower petal looks more like this one (still Hippeastrum, but this would be a hybrid) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/77456/

You guys have nailed it! Thanks so much!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

or this? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/124951/
Dave should pop in any minute, he's marvelous in tagging plants of all kinds!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hugs, Jenny!

this is the last one from me http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/137556/

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jenny...me thinks it is an amarillis that has sort of gone bush around here...they spring up in some places like wildfloers.

Keaau, HI

Hi Jen, the plant is Hippeastrum striatum, the Barbados Lily.

They are widely naturalized in the State of Hawai'i as an escapee from cultivation around 1871. Their blooms can be seen from now till March, with a peak in the beginning of February.
A great place to see lots of these on Maui is along the roadsides of Upper Kula. Here they are common on the Hamakua Coast from Hilo to Waimea.

I transplanted a number of them to my garden years ago; I love the rainy season blooms!

Aloha, Dave

Here in SW Florida they are all over the place too. Very nice.

San Andres, Peten, Guatemala

This is our version of the Barbados Lily which grows wild in the woods and now proliferates in my garden. They all bloom twice a year in unison.

Thumbnail by johnpeten
Keaau, HI

Nice color in that one John!

Although Hippeastrum striatum ranges in color from bright red to orange, the wild Barbados Lilies in Hawai'i are all orange. I guess that means they all originated from the same source.

Mahalo for the info Dave, now I am going to have to go up country on a "gathering" expedition along the road sides! I haven't seen any of them for sale in the usual stores, but I will try the Ace hardware in Kula, that has the best selection of things on the Island IMO.

Yep John, mine are all orange like Dave says - and mine only bloom once a year, not in unison, and then virtually vanish. I wonder if you have genetic variation, or if your climate is perfect for them? I see that you say yours grow in the woods (so I should obviously put mine in a shady place) but are the ones that you have in your garden also in shade? The one in the picture is growing under the lychee tree but only gets shade for about 2 hours during the middle of the day and is surounded by concrete - a pretty warm spot.

So nice to have all the info - thanks guys!

San Andres, Peten, Guatemala

In the garden they are in partial shade. In the woods they are in clearings where they get some sunlight.
They bloom around the time of the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes but this may be just coincidence.

We have a species of Rain Lilies which grow in the woods and in various shady parts of my garden. These clever plants also all bloom in unison at least 4 times a year. Certainly not triggered by rain. After 12 years I haven't figgered out how they do it.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I did an amaryllis trade this spring and they are all starting to bloom now!!!! Say...what is a good fert. for bulbs?

Carol

Keaau, HI

Hey Carol, I use the pelleted chicken manure from BEI in Hilo (by Hilo Shopping Center). It's cheap and has added CaCO2. All of my lily type plants thrive on this and little more (TLC).

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

...thanks Dave. What is the advantage of the pelleted chickiepoop over the non? The added CaCO2? And do you use it for other things....everything? I've been using the regular stinky stuff but Thelma likes to eat it out of the beds...and she gets such terrible gas.... (sorry, gotta tell it like it is)...I would do anything to avoid it!!!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I was advised to use bone meal for bulbs, but this is the first season to add it, so I cannot really say how well it works.

Keaau, HI

Hi Carol, the best advantage is it's easy to spread, and it is a better compost than most of the loose manure on the market since EZ Green went out of business.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmm - gotta try it. Thanks.

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Lovely Amaryllis...we grow them in zone 8, on the SE coast of NC. Mine bloom in June.

karen, who is still in Merida, Yucatan, taking notes and photos of all kinds of plants.

Gotta get me some of that chicken poop - I wonder if the farm supply in Kahalui (our "big" town) has it, will check it out next time I am over there.

My daughter Laurie is going to be moving to the Chapel Hill area in NC soon, wrpdwoman, and she has been wondering what on earth to plant. I will be sure to tell her that Amaryllis do well in your area - they have lots of deer on her new 5 acres though, do they have a chance - the Amaryllis I mean, not the deer! ^_^

Jenn

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi, Jenn,
I hope Laurie enjoys the Chapel Hill area...she can grow many things there, with enough heat for summer veggies, and enough cold for a few bulbs. The deer, however, will probably enjoy the garden as much as she does! I finally put a fence around part of my woods garden, long after installing the fence around the veggie garden. The deer have not eaten my amaryllis, daffodils, iris, datura, clethra or crepe myrtles. They do love, however, my camellias, azaleas, chives, roses, hydrangeas and swamp sunflowers!

Felize ano nuevo!
karen

Thanks for the info Karen, I will be sure to pass it on to Laurie. Right now she is sitting in her NC woods without a tv or a computer, enjoying the peace and quiet and all the wild life (and raking leaves!) She did tell me on the phone today that she has bulbs just poking up, but as yet has no idea what they are.

How lovely that you are spending time in the Yucatan, please share some of your pics when you get home, i would love to see them - Happy new year to you too!

Jenn

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jenny...check out BEI on the island. They will have it.

Kolda, Senegal

Lovely photos.

A neat game to play.

As soon as I get my camera, I will start posting some photos of the ornamentals we have here. Also maybe a little trek into the forest.

-Nathan
Senegal, West Africa

Keaau, HI

Thanks Nathan, It would be great to see the local flora from there! Senegal must have some interesting endemic species. Please show us everything! Especially any plant which you can't identify!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

ditto ditto ditto!!!!!

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi, more id help, please...I understand this plant is called heliconium, but get no hits when I 'dave' it. When I saw it blooming in a friends courtyard in Merida, Yucatan, I thought it was fake! Thanks for your help...
just call me curious karen

Thumbnail by wrpdwoman

Heliconia Rostrata
A beauty!!

Very long lasting as cut flowers too! I have seen these growing wild on the windward side of Maui, they are very striking...

Coushatta, LA

Does anyone have seed to that beautiful Hippastrum striatum?

Aloha,

One of my plants has just finished blooming - I will keep an eye out for seed, but I haven't ever seen them so far. Mine seem to produce bulbets (is that a word?). If I get seed you are welcome to some cowpea...I am not too sure what the regulations are about sending bulbs to the mainland...

Keaau, HI

Same thing with my plants; I've been growing them for about 12 years and haven't seen them produce seed.

I will try crossing the flowers.

Coushatta, LA

I will have some seed to very beautiful old hybrid Hippastrum and would gladly trade seeds for any Hippastrum,Crinum and rain lily.I also have some lilium formosum seeds now.Let me know.

What will you cross them with Dave ? Themselves ? I haven't ever seen any bees around the plants and I have lots of bees in the garden, could that be what you are thinking with your experiment?

Keaau, HI

Yes Jen, rubbing the pollen covered anthers of one flower onto the stigma of another. It often works out that the stigma of one flower is not receptive of pollen while it's anthers are producing pollen; this helps to insure cross pollination.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hey Dave: I have a totally OT project...want to help me? I want to pollinate my strongylodon and I am stumped about the flower parts and some of the 'particulars of the plant'. I can't find the pistil!!!! Can you help?

carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.