Wheelbarrow substitute?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

I'm a C6 quad who puts knobby mountain bike tires on his manual wheelchair and tackles gardening tasks solo. Trouble is, my lap can only hold so much. I end up making repeated trips over the lawn to haul tools, soil, plant waste, etc.

I can't push a wheelbarrow, because although my arms are strong they're busy pushing on my wheels.

I'd like to pull some kind of "trailer" with a capacity comparable to a wheelbarrow's. It would have to be relatively low to the ground, stable, easy to attach & detach, and with wide wheels that won't carve ruts on a lawn ... almost like the stereotypical little red wagon, but bigger.

I'm open to buying a good "trailer" if such a thing exists, or modifying something else to create a solution. Any suggestions/ideas?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh, sounds familiar! I like the mountain bike tire idea! I use an electric WC. My first thought is one of those grocery carts that is supposed to fit onto a wheelchair? You'd have to adapt the tires. But that goes before you, not behind you. And then what I do is just use a huge apron with lots of pockets. But I get a lot of help...

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Good Luck Puddle, I hope you find what you need.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a lighter version of the steel carts the nurseries use:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_208007_208007

Hmmm. Light is always good. I'll have to look for something with higher sides, though. Bigger wheels or tires too, to keep a loaded cart from bogging down in the lawn.

It's a start. :)

Kempner, TX(Zone 8b)

How about a bicycle trailer
Here is a site to build your own looks easy enough to build and modify.

http://www.carryfreedom.com/bamboo.html

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

dear Puddle Pirate
lowes carries a garden wagon which has the big wheels you need and higher sides that can drop down to use as a flat bed waggon if need be. Its yellow metal with mesh sides. I couldnt find it on their site however. I have one and love it.. cost was about 85.00 and to me worth every penny

Very interesting. Is it a Lowe's brand wagon, or does someone else manufacture it?

Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a little yellow wagon like this:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_KsIijKKZx7c/SJifU7XviBI/AAAAAAAAAlI/D3h1idinr_k/s1600-h/swimming.jpg

It also has a latch in front so you can dump it like a dump truck. I got it at Home Depot.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

some one else makes it but lowes sells it..they will assemble it for you at No Charge
I have a semi hilly uneven yard (almost an acre) and with my disability can still move alot with it.. Ive used it to haul everything from fire wood to potting soil and lots of stuff.. like I said its not cheap but it was worth it to me.. its made my life easier

Anything that makes our lives easier is worth every penny.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Absolutely!

How big of an edge can you get over with your wheelchair? My DH is finishing up on my new greenhouse. It has about a 2 inch ledge at the door frame (double door wide). I'm thinking of having my son build a shallow ramp in and out when he comes to visit, for later on and now if I'm using a cart. My mental health is already improving being able to get out in the sun even when it is cold outside.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 11:25 AM

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

have him build the ramps..it will make things so much easier even now. Its a PITA to get stuff over a lip. I was wheel chair bound for about 12 months after my accident A dear friend came over and built ramps for me so I could get outside to my garage and on to my patio.. they were godsends!! if fact when I sold my home the new buyers told me they were going to keep them in place for when they had their parents over
Go ahead and do it youll be glad you did!

I can easily bump over a 2" ledge, and with enough momentum I can hop up 5".

Then again, my abilities exceed most C6 quads. It also helps to have a very light Quickie GTi.

I think a trip to Lowe's is in order. I'll combine it with a trip to Gander Mountain to get a revolver. By the time I'm done, my wheelchair will have a "trailer", a holster, and maybe even some neon underneath. It'll be pimped out!

OK, no neon. :)

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 4:27 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

A revolver?

I'd get a leather whip instead.

Yep. A revolver.

http://brainshavings.com/2004/10/bleg-best-pistol-for-concealed.html

Carrie, with a motorized chair, could you get over a 2 inch lip?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

With a running start. Actually it would depend on which chair - I've had a couple - how gradual of a lip - like a garage door, sharp like newly-poured concrete curb is harder than a nice worn-down edge. Oh, that's not clear at all. I wouldn't build a 2" lip into my plans, but if I came across one in my travels, I would attempt it.

I do understand Carrie, thanks for the input.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.