Off topic here - looking for some tried/true soup recipes

(Zone 4a)

I hope you don't mind me posting this here.....I was thinking - I love homemade soups in the winter time.....I am always trying new recipes. I have a new soup recipe in the crockpot right now as I type. I will only post the recipe if it turns out to be a good one LOL. Just curious to know what your favourite soup recipes are - I would love more ideas too!

North Augusta, ON

I love "leftover soup". Start with your basic onion, celery, carrot mix and add any leftovers in the fridge. Easy to do and always different!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I love soups. You can throw in whatever is at hand. Ham soup was the only way to get my boys to eat peas. Use ham bone, smoked shoulder bone(if made boiled dinner freeze the liquid in ice cube trays then freeze in bag) use as many as you need to make broth. I have even used a ham slice when there is no left overs and a couple cans chicken broth for added flavor. The usual onions celery added too. Add veggies you like including peas, carrots and potatoes. I always add a tbls. or two of brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. When veggies are done, it's soup.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Okay here's another one. A million versions of this one. Portuguese kale soup. Two qts chicken or veg. broth brought to a boil,add 1 pkg. sliced carrots,4 potatoes cut in half length-wise and sliced , peeled seeded and diced tomato, two sliced celery ribs sliced, one onion diced finely,one pkg. frozen chopped kale or fresh if available,one ring(about half a pound) each linguica and chirico casing removed and sliced, 1 can red kidney beans and one can of chic peas. One tbls. brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. A small form of pasta can also be added if desired. Simmer until veggies and linguica are done.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this is my favorite chicken soup

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/simple-chicken-noodle-soup-recipe2/index.html

(Zone 4a)

This is my favourite Broccoli Cheese soup! It is really amazing! I make this all the time!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Quiznos-Broccoli-Cheese-Soup-202318

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I really love homemade soups myself.

I make lentil and ham soup a lot. Don't have a real recipe, but I just cook the lentils together with chopped up ham (usually leftovers from a big ham dinner), celery, carrots (I like the baby carrots that are ready to go, as no work is involved there), chopped onions. Then add whatever seasonings you like. I usually put in sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and ground cinnamon. Add enough water to cover. Cook till lentils are done.

I also make a great chicken or turkey soup, usually with leftover meat. I put in celery, carrots, potatoes, onions and collard greens. Seasonings usually include sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ground cinnamon and poultry seasonings.

The ham soup above can also be made with beans, one kind or a variety.

Pat, that Portuguese kale soup sounds good.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ground cinnamon huh?.... interesting... might have to try that

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I had to google the pasta name to make sure I spelled it correctly:

Cappeletti Soup (or my family version of it...Eth, the RU Queen, and my lovely mom)

2 packages of Cappeletti (dried works best, I like the 3 cheese variety and spinach/cheese)
2 large cans of chicken stock, and 3 cans of water (I fill the chicken stock cans with water after I empty the stock into the stock pot)
2 medium/large cans of stewed tomatoes (I use the Italian Seasoning one)
1 small/medium sized bag of baby carrots(cut into halves)
1 package of celery hearts(chopped into 1/2"-1" chunks)
italian seasoning mix
1 large pack of chicken (I buy the "family pack" of drum sticks and thighs
--------------------------
add chicken stock to stock pot, and water, make it boil.
add all of the chicken to the boiling stock.
add italian seasoning.
let chicken boil for awhile...once the skin starts to peel off...remove chicken from boiling stock (for the love of Pete be careful doing this part, I've burned a finger or two).
After I remove all of the chicken, I put the celery, stewed tomatoes, and carrots into the stock pot.
Once you've added all of the veggies, this is where the work begins.
Peel the skin off the ckicken. "Fork" all of the meat off of the chicken, and place the meat in a bowl, or edge of a cutting board.
After you have done this "fork-shred" the chicken. I have no idea if "fork-shred" is a word or not, but it should be!
Add the "fork-shredded" chicken back into the boiling stock with the veggies.
Add the 2 packages of cappeletti, and cook according to the packages.
The variety of cappeletti I use, I believe it's to boil them for 12-14minutes.
Then, sit back and enjoy.

I have no idea if this is a local soup, or if it's known all over the place. I do know that when I was in the military, depending on what state I was living in, people would look at me like I had 8 heads when I asked about Cappeletti Soup.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 8:37 AM

Sounds good - hot digitiy dog, Balanced meal served with bread.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh gosh I about had a heart attack did you see the fat content on that broccoli cheese soup?????

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love homemade soup but for some reason whenever I try to make soup it doesn't come out for me. The only one that came out OK was a basic chicken noodle.(I usually have no trouble cooking or baking so I have no idea why soup does not come out for me)

I have a recipe for brunswick stew that is like a hearty soup, this is the only one that I've made that came out really good......I'll post it later

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.