tree farm look

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

for a natural look and as a boom to wildlife, it is recommended to space your tree
plantings and not plant in rows strictly , so how does one accomplish this when it is
much easier to count 10 paces for planting 30 feet apart ? and having a few
rows to make sure they is enough space between trees with 1 or more acres to
plant ?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Are you planting all the same species? If this isn't woodlot management with the intent to harvest timber, then there are three possibilities. You could plant overlapping rings of trees. You could plant in clusters of three with small clearings between the clusters. With the space your talking about, my recommendation would be curved rows. In other words don't pace off 30 feet in a straight line. Mother Nature isn't as tidy as humans in arranging things there is an element of randomness. Curves and circles can help produce a more natural planting.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

As someone with more than enough Wisconsin ancestors, I'd recommend (and would've thought you'd have thought) to have some of the local finest - Old Style, Leinenkugel's, etc. - before going out to pace off the 30 foot distances. Not in a blizzard, mind you, but when you still have enough wits to come in from the cold.

You'll be guaranteed not to strike off too many dead straight lines, and it'll look like Ma Nature did it all herself.

You aren't going to see the bare ground in Rhinelander for some time anyway, I'd imagine.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

my dad planted in zone 5b southwest michigan, he planted red oak and
walnut in rows when planting 20 acres, as a windbreak he clustered
norway spruce(beautiful) white oak, walnut from his boyhood tree, so far
i have tried native white spruce, red pine, white pine and balsam fir;
more experimental are bur oak and white oak, anything that will grow
in a harsh climate, ( although zone 3b) rhinelander area sometimes acts
like zone 2 since it is far from the microclimates of the great lakes.
i tried to space the plantings but not rows, and not always 10 paces,
some clusters , some open areas from poor boggy soil, drink pabst,
old milwakee and other rotgut beer. lol

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's a nice array of genus/species. Lucky neighbors and wildlife. Your local beer distributers have to love it too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.