Arum italicum info? in the bulb forum please???

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Not meaning to crosspost but the DG search function "isn't"...

This plant is listed as both bulb and perennial. I am hoping for someone with experience at growing these please.

This was posted in the bulb forum and if you can offer assistance, I will be grateful! pod

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934074/

Thumbnail by podster
Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Here is some information about the Arum Italicum ... http://www.phillipoliver.net/sgitalianarum.htm

I have grown it successfully in Zone 6a and planted it last year in Zone 7b. It is not at its full potential in Zone 7b. I enjoy the green and white color it brings to the flowerbed. It has a very unusual flower, but I have not seen the seeds. The two colors make it attractive and able to stand out in a shady flowerbed. I have not seen it invade in either zone. I'm sure you will like it!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the encouragement and for the link. I will check it out.

I do love the variegation but am surpised as the height of the plant and the size of the leaves are smaller than expected. I wonder if that is due to it being potted?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Arum italicum thrives here on complete neglect.
It's unusual dormancy pattern led to it's wrongful relegation to the compost heap many years ago.
Much to my astonishment, it thrives there, with total neglect.
It has tripled in size, easily.
It is definitely a conversation piece,
due to it's unexpected shocking berry display and counterintuitive leafing schedule.

Excellent! I was suspicious of the fertile potting soil and consistant moisture. Need to stuff them in the sorry soil here. And maybe supplement with a little compost ~ LOL

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine grow well in plain soil, not amended, and not watered often. They do very well. The first couple of years, they spread very slightly. Last year, their third year, they multiplied more, but certainly not invasively.

I am so amazed at the wide range of climates that these are suited to. Why is it they are not more common? I'd never seen them except in one of my plant books. Then, I started shopping for them. The ones I received are the first I have seen. When I got them and potted them they died and if I hadn't read that they only grew in winter, I "would" have chunked them into the compost. Now you have me excited. Now to decide what else to interplant so it has interest in summer too.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

The Arum italicum is much more attractive than Pachysandra, which you could compare it to in leaf color and height. If you have something to interplant with the Arum italicum like Winter Aconite (Eranthis hyemalis), Dwarf Iris, Crocus, Grape Hyacinth, or Allium Moly which would all have a slightly different bloom time, those would show it off even more.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Here in zone5a,it grows well in poor dry soil.Mine do not seem to know the seasons.They sprout,bloom,make seedheads,and start all over again.They often come up right through the snow,during the winter.

Lynn

These are really neat plants, I wonder why they aren't in more use. How large do the leaves on yours get Lynn? And how tall are they?

My leaves get about 5-6 inches long and a little less wide.The plant itself is not very tall,perhaps 12 inches.The blooms are hidden under the leaves,kind of a Jack In The Pulpit look.The seeds or berries are very bright orange and only get about 6 inches tall and almost look like a flower.When they come up.the leaves are either dormant or in the process of going dormant,so they stand out nicely.Mine are in very dry shade.The occasional one that pops up in better soil,such as around my hostas,gets pulled and tossed or just moved to another location.Even if you pull it up and it looks like you have no roots,it will grow if you just stick it in the ground.It looks dead,but comes back.
I suspect the reason they are not really grown widely,is because they would be too invasive.Under better conditions,such as a little more water,light or fertilizer, I think they would spread much like Muscari (grape hyacinth) does here.I don't think I have a picture to post,but yesterday one was growing new leaves,even though we had below 0 temps last week.We are having a bad ice storm tonight,so I will see what it looks like tomorrow.

Lynn

Thanks for the info Lynn ~ sorry about the ice storm though. That can deal some real misery. I suspect you are right on the growing conditions which suits me fine. If they thrive on minimal care, it will be my kind of plant! Appreciate the size information so I know how they will do where I planted them. Stay warm!

Thanks Podster.The ice was terrible last night and there were a lot of accidents,but the wind blew so hard all night (and the city salted the streets) and today it looks as if nothing happened

Lynn

Danville, IN

I would venture to say that the reason this plant isn't more widely grown, or even offered for sale, is that for most of the normal growing season (especially in colder zones) it's dormant. How can garden centers sell a perennial that from May until August (the prime plant-buying time) presents itself as a pot of topsoil... no flowers or leaves! Possibly, they would sell in early spring if the garden center can protect the fall crop of leaves from winter freezing and handling damage, but the flowers don't usually appear until the plant is in the ground for a few years. The seed stalks, if present, are fragile and wouldn't present well either in most garden center cases. The same problem occurs with Helleborus species (Lenten Roses). Unless you are a savvy gardener, or willing to trust a knowledgeable salesperson, most people don't buy either plant, and so they miss out on great additions to their shade gardens! Luckily, there are sites like Dave's Garden for information, and some great gardens that showcase unusual, underused perennials.

I agree that this plant would not be feasible in the northern climates. One of my reference books lists them for zones 5 to 9. I do enjoy being able to find "hands on" information such as this by simply asking questions on Daves Garden. It is easier to learn from someone elses mistakes. 8 )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.