Jaded!

Sydney, Australia

Hi All,
Seeking advice on moving this 1.5m Jade. It has left it's pot and gone wandering over the years. I would like to move it but am unsure if cutting a thick root will cause deadly damage. Has anyone done something like this before and do you have any tips / advice? Don't want to be the grim reaper for something that has obviously been around a while.
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Sydney, Australia

The plant

Thumbnail by Budgieman

Steve it is only a giant succulent ...every piece will grow in free draining medium ...you can give it a bit of a haircut and chop the root without much harm.It is considered a very lucky plant to have growing at the front door (said to usher in wealth).

Alstonville, Australia

Chrissy,
My 94 yr old Aunty told me to have a Jade at the front & back door so you will never be poor.
We are not struggling so may be she was right. I still have the two she gave me many years ago.
Have a safe and Happy Festive Season all
Hel

Thumbnail by hel
Merino, Australia

Maybe I should move ours into pots for the back and front doors.
I don't remember ever being anything else but poor.
That sure is a large jade Steve, I've found they survive anything. Sort of the cockroach of the plant world.
I saw one once in an old derelict house and it looked like a tree. Must have been very old.
Jean.

Sydney, Australia

Thanks all.
Chrissy you have confirmed my thoughts. I suspect there is still a large amount of root in the pot. It appears I will need to plant another at the front door as all of our money must be escaping through it!
Jean this one has lichen on it which adds to it's charm. Don't think I'll be around long enough to be able to sit under it for afternoon tea.
Cheers and thanks
Steve

Good luck with it Steve ...our garden goddess sue cuts little pieces and plants them up in cute pots so they look like bonsias ...she sells them and they are snapped up.
hel I see you know what brings good luck ...round objects and golden flowers ...very pretty (in threes too).
Have a peaceful and happy christmas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.