anvil

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know where i could get a used or new anvil? I still like to do some repair work the old fashioned way. I know that they come in different wieghts, and i would like to have a fairly heavy one.
I'm willing to drive a couple of hundred miles for one in good shape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Larry Lane

111 Flamingo Drive
Brunswick, Georgia 31523

Phone----912-267-1060

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if you google farrier supplies, you'll find a lot of links to anvil sales.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Thank you trackinsand, i'll get right to it now.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you're welcome!

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

The new ones were rather expensive but i guess you get what you pay for. I found a farrier in the area but haven't talked to him yet. I would like to check out his set up. Only 40 miles away.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if you have an "in" with a farrier, he can get it for you wholesale, i would think. you could also visit some local horse farms or look up farriers in the yellow pages. there are probably more than you think. shoeing horses is a big business. might even find an old guy with one he'd let you have cheap.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You may also want to post an ad under farm equipment wanted in the Georgia Market Bulletin http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_39654299_40311428,00.html Lots of family farmers had anvils in the forties and fifties as part of the farm shop. Some of them may still be sitting in sheds as smithing has become a thing of the past, except for the few farriers.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

hey trackinsand, i've just found the farriers phone number. Strangely enough we have about 6 horse riding clubs here in Glynn Co. and none live here. All are out of town. Yes, i've heard they make good $$.

Also, i called one of my nephews that does farm work, he told me he gave away a 100lb. anvil not long ago.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

let me tell ya, they earn every penny they make......that is HARD work!

don't be too quick to buy one.....you'll find one if you hunt around long enough. good luck! i don't know if you're in the town or country, but small farming communities usually have a small local paper. you could put a want ad in one of those.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Hi Farmerdill, i receive the Market Bulletin twice a month. I got my latest one this past wednesday. A man was advertising several anvils in it from Austell Ga. I talked to him this morning. He is selling anvils from 100lbs. to over 400lbs., prices are a little steep but he said Austell was 2 miles from "Six Flags" and was about a 2 & 1/2 hour drive from here. I've driven to Six Flags before and it seemed more like about 4 & 1/2 hours. I'm going to check my map on that one and check my Bulletin archives and see what i can find. I'm also going to run an ad in it in the Wanted section.

Still looking......

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Great idea, i live in the country, but had not thought about running an ad in the 1 caution light towns around here. Your right, i've decided not to rush in. There are probably lots of them rusting away in delapidated old buildings. Thanks for the excellent idea about the rural town newspapers.

Larry

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

i just talked to the farrier and it was a no go, but he said he would keep his eyes open for me. He works a lot on St. Simons Island in the same county as me.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lol on the caution light! we have one red light in town. if you sneeze you miss half of main street.

i guarantee you put an ad in and you'll have one soon!

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

hey you're living in high cotton with a redlight in town, there must be at least 4 zippy marts out there.

thanks again for the cool tip, i hope so.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

keep me updated!

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Will do trackinsand,
Happy Holidays

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Just had to put my 2 cents in re: one light towns.

High cotton indeed ( a phrase I haven't heard in a long time) to have a light. We just got a 4 way stop a couple of years ago. A light is a few thousands heads of population away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.