Rylaff, thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Dear Rylaff,

this is the first year the tiny Gloriosa tubers you sent me a couple years ago are blooming, and such beautiful flowers! My heart is full of joy every time I look at them (many times a day ;o).

A Gardener's patience is rewarded!

Thank you very much dear Rylaff for letting me have these beauties.

Big bear hug,

Ursula

Thumbnail by Ursula
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi Ursula!
Did you leave your gloriosas in the ground? I'm curious as I planted one and it's got 3 leaves now, and it's in the ground! It's been in the 50's here and I wonder if they can stay in there?

Hey, this week I planted the seeds I got from you...they're in the fridge, wish me good luck! : )

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hi Rob!

My Gloriosa tubers have so far been planted in a pot, since I still live in an apartment in the city (will move to the countryside very soon with lots of gardening space available).

During the first years I brought the pots with the dormant plants into the apartment, thinking they are tropical plants that would not appreciate our winter. This proved to be a mistake and when I read that Rylaff (in a colder climate than mine) leaves them in the garden, I decided to run the risk and leave the pot on the balcony. I think they were grateful for the Winter cold (it's late Spring down here) and have not only reproduced baby tubers but have many flower buds as well.

I feel so grateful for Rylaff to trade for them with me and one more time feel reassured that being a patient gardener is always rewarded!

I wish you good luck with your seeds! Keep me posted how they do for you.

A new bud opening

Thumbnail by Ursula
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

That's awesome Ursula! : )

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Rylaff is in zone 8b and grows hers in the ground, so I think you are safe to leave them in your zone, Rob. I'm sure Rylaff will answer you, though, when she has time.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Kay!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just saw this.Dont know how I missed it. Yes, mine remains in the ground and make baby tubers.So glad you are able to enjoy them Ursula!!!!

Hi, Lisa!!! I hope you didn't lose many plants with the cold weather.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

this last cold blast got quite a few, including a banana tree with a huge bloom and baby bananas. Got stuck at work and got home so late that I just fell into the bed. Didnt cover a thing. Lost some stuff that was on my porch. Luckily, all my plumerias and adeniums were still stored in the spa room.

Yeah for you!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

This Fall (your Spring), I will plant them in the soil (no longer in pots). I can hardly wait for next season to see them bloom again!

Hugs!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Gosh I think I killed my last tuber...I checked on it and there's no sign of life...is it too early?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yep, probably too early. I cant kill mine. They come up all over the place. I dont have to do anything special.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Rylaff. If mine doesn't come back, would you have some for trade? I grow all sorts of vines, feel free to look through my tradelist...
Rob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.