Farm Journal Dec. 17th through 24th

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

We've certainly had our share of winter weather here in the Midwest.. How is everyone doing? and how is your weather?

I hear geese flying overhead as I write this and looking out my window I see a couple of birds that like to hide in the large yews that grow up around my house.. There is a bit of snow cover here, about an inch and a half with a little crunchy ice under that.

We got our farm lease signed this year.. That is always a huge relief.. I really like the guys that rent from us and they are easy to work with.. It gets a little complicated with my Brother, sister and I all owning adjoining property.. I like to try to market it together.. We gave them a little bit better deal on price per acre this year.. They have had two really bad years in a row.. We also have a cousin negotiate with us.. Since neither me or my husband have ever put in row crops ourselves and he does, it is good to have that man in the middle.

I learned a lot today.. Anyone heard of corn that is distasteful to corn borers? Forget the producer of it.. But it also doesn't break down in the field as well and cows won't eat it.?

I had the day off and it was nice to check the cows and horses in the daylight.. Won't need to haul out hay till Saturday.. Lost a calf and that really surprised me..

So, off to work on supper.. put wood in the stove.. relax after a busy day.

kj

This thread has 32 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!