Sawdust?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have access to a bunch of sawdust and bark shreds at a small lumber operation here and I thought to use it as mulch. It is untreated and the trees are Myrtle and a bit of a mix.

Anyone have any ideas as to why not? I thought to water it down with EM once it is spread.

I have too many areas to weed, especially around daylillies and other bulbs...thought this would help.

Carol

PS The picture is just for decoration!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

A double whammy....what about shredded computer paper? Just found an endless supply!!! Could the shredded paper be layered thinly as "dry organic matter"... any horrified responses?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

It'll try to blow away. Plus, it's kind of unsightly. But it's a nice source of carbon, and the worms like it.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

PP...you speak of the shredded paper? I agree...great splashes of WHITE....but in the compost I think it will work....

We get so much rain that the sawdust will stay damp...so I don't worry about blowing away too much....I don't mind the look as long as the weeds don't come....and when the plants grow together and the weeds can't get in, won't have to use it....

Thanks

I compost all of my junk mail that's non-glossy. I run it through my shredder first, mix it with mushed-up wet cardboard from any boxes I have lying around, add a layer of used coffee grounds from the local coffee shop, and the worms arrive right quick!

As for the sawdust, it might be OK as mulch I guess. I wonder if it'll get compacted so much that it'll hamper water absorption?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Interesting thought about the compaction. HMMmmmm Maybe if I mix it with leaves and other stuff....

Good idea. Bigger chunks might make the mulch more permeable. Let us know how it goes.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

the coffee dyes the paper tan, eh? My shredded paper tended to reform itself into a sheet of paper when I just sprinkled it on, dry. Sawdust I find in manure seems to stay fluffy.

What's that pretty bush?

In a roundabout way, yes. The coffee grounds bring worms & the paper goes tan thanks to all the worm poo. ;)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

If you put some molassas (spray on) witht he coffee grounds, the 'good bacteria' would grow...more worms....!!

That tree is a Bauhinia...Hong Kong Orchid Tree. One of my favorites!!!!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Shredded paper works great for us, as we get lots of moisture in the form of rain, so it doesn't blow away. The worms flock to it & when mixed with manure, it stays on the warm side.
I have an endless supply from my workplace; one way I use it is to top off the compost bins after adding food scraps - keeps the odors down & gives a place for small critters to burrow for the winter.
I also used 9 sacks full (with shreddings still in sacks) to build a temporary shelter for my more tender plants & others that were still potted up. Looks similar to an igloo!
We've had below normal temps this past week & lots of snow/ice, so I figured these huge bags of shreddings might be decent insulation. When I checked yesterday, all the plants were happy & warm, albeit a bit confused...
Not sure how long this will work, but if it gets them through the worst of the winter weather, then it was a worthy experiment.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Great news, Katye...I know Sammamish and know how cold it gets!!!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

AH - did you get up my way last summer? Next time you're in the neighbourhood, give a shout. We could do an impromptu "Nursery Tour specializing in Acquisitions"...
And be so very glad you're not here now...it has been reduced to "Snow Acquisitions".

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Going to be in B'ham Feb 4-9...hope you are thawed out by then!!! Actually it IS cold here...closed all the windows in the bedroom...down to 57 deg. with the wind coming off the snow capped mountain!!! I kid you not!

Carol

Sounds like skiing weather, Carol.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

poor Carol= she may have to put on socks!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I've used shredded (non-glossy) paper for years as my "brown" in my compost bins. Has worked great. I also use shredded paper directly in the garden, wet it down, and then top it with bark mulch. I've also used dampened newspaper and cardboard pieces whole as a great weed block, then topped that with bark mulch. The advantage to using the shredded paper in the garden is that my bulbs can grow through it.

Both methods work really well!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Oh, you guys! Actually, I have fuzzy slippers (like boots) and a polarfleece robe!

Imapigeon...good news! I am inspired! I do have the shredded paper and some green waste I am cutting as I prune all the gingers and heliconias...will cover the paper with that...until I get some mulch from greenwaste!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.