Wollemi pines

Almont, MI

I asked for a Wollemi pine for Xmas. The story is fascinating, Am I going to be sorry? Does anyone have one?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Indoors only for you (it is only hardy down to about -8°C). When it gets too large (which it will, fairly quickly), just coppice it and it will re-grow from the stump.

Resin

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I've had mine for two years, they don't grow all that fast. They seem to grow in spurts.

Almont, MI

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure they weren't so touchy I'd kill right off the bat. I did decide to wait til the middle of Feb. to order so it can go right into my greenhouse to get a good start instead of the dry house.

Newark, CA

Good site on Araucarias

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph27.htm

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

What adventurous (oblivious) gardener has pushed the hardiness limit the most for a Wollemi?
Surely, there are disasters / successes out there?

(Zone 6b)

They've been planted in and around the Washington D.C. area and have survived going on 3 winters now. I've also heard a couple of reports of people planting them out in zone 6 areas in protected spots and so far have had success. But it's been way too short of a time to know how they'll end up. Most would probably bet they'll get killed back to the ground or completely killed in the long run in zone 6. But you never know 100% unless you try!

Almont, MI

Not going to worry about planting it outside, planning on keeping it potted to bring in in the winter. Will order it in a couple more weeks when this cold weather breaks.

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

Mine succumbed only to being left in a pot and not getting enough water, not to the freezes (admittedly nothing under 20F or so). I might give them another shot once I'm not so busy -- and maybe the price will have come down a bit by then?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.