A Healthy Blood-Sugar Diet

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've had a few questions, and offered up a few d-mails with the details. I'm going to guess I'm not the only one that struggles with blood glucose issues, whether hypoglycemia like I have, or diabetes. So, here's the scoop. Feel free to fire questions at me - I've studied this in insane detail, and I'm pretty confident it's a good path to follow.

Medicines...
L-Glutamine - 1000mg daily (1hour before breakfast)
With breakfast...
Two chewable fiber pills
Chromium Picolinate - 500mg daily
Generic Women's Multivitamin
(I'm also on Vit E daily, but that's got nothing to do with blood sugar)

Breakfast, consist of any one of the following:
*Whole-grain slow cook oatmeal
*Whole-grain cold cereal with low-fat, vanilla-flavored soy milk (or 1% cows milk)
*One egg, two pieces of whole-wheat toast , sometimes one piece of sausage
*Whole-wheat pancakes, or flax-seed waffles
*ONE Small Piece of fruit added to any of the above
*Coffee

Lunch, consist of a combination of:
*One Fruit
*Two Vegetables (cup of cooked or raw green veggies, or carrots, or a green leafie salad)
- Note: I stay away from iceberg lettuce for the most part - it's water & fiber, and not real nutrient rich
*Lean Protein - beans, or small 4oz piece of cooked meat
*Three Servings of Whole Wheat Carbs - Triscuits (generic without MSG), bread, brown rice, whole wheat cous cous

Dinner, combination of:
*Two to Four Vegetables
*Two Carbs
*6oz lean protein

Snacks , mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and late-evening (any one of the items listed)
*Crackers & Pnut butter
*Low-fat, low-sugar yogurt - I aim for yogurts with 10g sugar or less
*Low-sugar granola bar - again, less than 10g
*Cheese, Pepperoni, Crackers

Allowable Drinks,
Diet soda
Diet-caffeine free soda
Diet-water adder powders
Water
Water
Coffee
Tea
Water

I will usually allow one or two "treats" per week. These can be something like 2-3 small sugary cookies, a tiny candy bar (one of those bite-size buggers), reg sugar in my am coffee, or a small dish of reguar ice cream.

Eating small portions, and eating every 2-3 hours keeps my blood sugar moderate and in-control. I exercise pretty regular, and pretty strenous, either riding my horses, or doing barn chores. Living alone, in the country, there's always some hard work to get done, and I'm the one to do it.

I'm not on any prescription medicaion, and on this diet, I've been able to avoid a massive sugar-crash for nearly 5 months. I don't get groggy sleepie in the afternoons or evenings, and I've been able to control nearly all low-sugar symptoms. On this diet, I can feel my sugar drop when it's near 70, rather than getting sick when it's near 50.

Hope this is helpful for anyone trying to get a "healthy diet" going ...
-Jennifer

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!