Wanted: Plant(s) for shady, damp spot

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

Does anyone have anything they'd like to share for a dark, damp, and shallow patch of dirt? It's about 12" - 15" deep, and pretty much always damp. It get's maybe 2 hours of sun a day. Right now, the only thing that grows in there is mushrooms (too bad I don't know if they are edible).

I'm looking for anything that will give me a splash of color, to brighten the area. Look on my seed list, see if I have anything that would interest you for a trade.

Amanda :)

Amanda,
Are you interested in Ribbon Grass? It likes moist conditions and grows in the shade. I have plenty of it. Bare Root in the spring for postage.
John

go to google.com. Type in shade gardens. See what happens.

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

Do you by chance have a picture of this ribbon grass, diggin?

Boonville, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't have any, but what about iris and calla lilies? I know they are great for swampy areas, just don't know if they need more sun or not.

Angel

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I have an area that is the same way and I made a Hosta/ Fern bed out of it. Unfortunately it may take a couple of months before the Hosta poke their heads up and I do not know how to divide most of my fern. I have a few sword fern you are more than welcome to.......

weebus

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

I've thought about ferns... email me and let me know how you'd like to deal, weebus... :)

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

We have wild ginger, May apples and Hosta in a shady
damp area of our yard. Do not now exact species of
ginger or Hosta. Hosta resembes guardian angel Hosta.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 5a)

I know that Ligularia "The Rocket" loves damp full shade - guess what I have some! The ground is still frozen and they don't like to be moved around alot, but I'm sure I can coax some cuttings for you and they'll be ready to plant in the fall or late summer. Can you wait?

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

Weebus: Here's directions on how to divide any perennials you have (including ferns):

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/tips/flowers/divide.html

Dividing your perennials will increase your garden stock and rejuvenate older plants, keeping them vigorous and blooming freely.

Most plants should be divided every three to five years. Dig and divide coneflowers, garden phlox, foxgloves, Shasta daisies, day lilies, coreopsis and other spring/summer-blooming plants in the early fall to enable their roots to become established before winter.

Ten easy division steps to follow are:

Lift the plant to be divided, taking care not to damage the roots.

Gently shake off loose soil and remove dead leaves and stems.

Separate plants using your hands, a garden spade, fork, or knife.

Discard the center of the clump if weak and woody.

Divide the vigorous plants into clumps of three to five shoots each.

Bearded irises should retain a few inches of rhizome and one fan of leaves, trimmed back halfway.

Prepare your garden soil by adding compost, peat moss, or aged manure, along with a light application of super phosphate or bone meal.

Replant the divided sections to their original depth.

Label your new plants and water thoroughly.

Apply winter mulch after the soil temperature drops following several killing frosts.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Karen,
Can you take cuttings of "The Rocket"? I'm putting some in this year, but thought they could only be grown from divisions of the plant. (or seed of course).

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Amanda,
How many plants did you want - everything here is damp (when not frozen of course) and/or shady. I have oodles of things.

Don't eat the mushrooms, I'd like to get to know you a little better!

Kathleen

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 7th 7:50 PM

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't know if cuttings will work, but I can heel cut from the root ball and maybe get some tiny divisions. I'm still going to try starting cuttings; anyone out there have any advice for seed harvest? Should I just save the whole head or try to separate the seeds from the head? Are the seeds very tiny? My eyes aren't what they used to be...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.