Small lot premits

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

so I found this seed company in the UK that just have to have quite a few seed vars. from so I've started the paperwork and etc for a "small lot "premit. Anyone else every applied? How long does it to take?

Peggy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am curious how it turns out. I have never tried to deal the Feds on any issue that is international.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

is premit the genus or the species? i can't find it in any of my books.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I did the paperwork for this last year and have never actually used it, so I don't even remember what the process would be, but no, it didn't take long. Did the online stuff and then had to drive to their nearest office, which is 20 miles from here and basically just show ID to seal the deal. There are seeds I would like to order from South Africa and should see about what it actually involves. I'm sure someone will pop up here and tell you exactly what you need to know.....

Portland, OR

The process for me was very quick and easy. I too had to go to the local Dept of Agriculture office and the folks were great.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've gotten my Level2 finished but I can't get to the darn epermit page. Keeps telling me "log-in has failed

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I had that problem also and went through, as I recall, their support to fix it finally after going nuts getting nowhere.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've already emailed support...told me to do the same thing I'd just down with no results so now I'mm goona call the 800 Monday.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Woo-Hoo! Being bullheaded and persistant has paid off! I finally got my application thur!!!!!! YAY! Took a little over a week after I got my Level2 but I got in and the app.went thur this morning.

Peggy

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Great! Now you can let us know the process of actually using it...lol.....

Citrus Heights, CA

My input on this issue: I can only speak about Hollyhock seeds. I have been trading seeds internationally for 4 years (we have over 80 kinds), when I send Hollyhock seeds I only have to write on the outside of the envelope what they are and put the words "Small seed Lot" and tell what seeds you are sending Hollyhock etc. (this is was The Dept of Ag told me to do here in CA). No permit just that. The permit issue comes into play when you are shipping a lot (large volume of seeds), but for only a few I think it is under 4 oz. what I was told. If you are going into business however you may need to research further the issue of acquiring a permit or certificate for shipments.
Use caution, there is a website that has all the countries and what they individaully will accept. There are two pdf files that are clear on certificates and what is needed when shipping just be honest on your packages and check with the country you are sending to to see if they are permitted. NOT all countries are the same.
The biggest problem is pests that are transplanted from country to country in seed packages.
Weavils curl up and sleep inside hollyhock seeds so my suggestions is what I do with all seeds is; once cleaned freeze them for 72 hours this will kill anything roaming around that is undesireable. If you get seeds and they are pest free and by the time you get to plant them and you find any pest what has happended is they were harvested and the one doing the harvesting didn't see any bugs but didn't freeze them so soon as the little critters had an opportunity out of the seeds they come!!! (this applies only to the large seeds I have never experienced it with dwarfs like Lavatera or Sylvestris varieties.
Just make sure what you are sending is accepted and what their rules are for seeds.
When bagging your seeds make sure they are PEST FREE and chaff free. Nothing but seeds should be in your shipment otherwise guaranteed they (customs) will discard them and the receipient will NOT get them. Only seeds in envelope and to make it easy for customs put seeds in CLEAR BAGGIES.
I would never recommend doing anything illegal, just follow the rules for where you are sending them. I cannot say about other seeds or plants but Hollyhocks are all I trade and ship. Hope this helps on this subject.

Thumbnail by hollyhocklover
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

The few trades I've done to other countries don't involve any problems with getting seeds to them, just the possibility of having problems getting seeds to arrive here.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I really want seeds I order to get here w/o trouble so I don't mind going to the trouble of appliying for and using a small lot permit. Better safe than sorry. I have had seed confiscated from other countries by customs.

Peggy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.