ID between 2 similar iris please.

Merino, Australia

I have just bought an iris named as Rare Treat, I want to be sure I have the right one. I did have one a few years ago that was nearly identical with the name Classic Look. The difference seems to be in the beards. One has blue beards, the other has white beards. I have checked on Plant Files , but it seems both are listed under both names Can anyone help ? I would also be interested in knowing the parents of both . Thank you Jean.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

From the AIS register:

Quoting:
RARE TREAT
(Schreiner's, R. 1987) Sdlg. S 796-W. TB, 34" (86 cm), EM
Ruffled white ground plicata, 1/4" cornflower blue (HCC 742) stitching around edge of S. and F.; blue (742) beard. Blue Staccato X N 1180-3: (Quiet Times x Socialite). Schreiner's 1987, AM 1992

CLASSIC LOOK
(Schreiner, R. 1992) Sdlg. AA 2169-C. TB, 36" (91 cm), EM
Ruffled white (RHS 155D) ground plicata with blue (94A) markings; beards yellow, tipped blue. Go Around X T 1800-1: (C 1080-3: ((Full Circle x Rococo) x (Arpege sib x (Rococo x Emma Cook))) x Spinning Wheel). Schreiner 1992, HM 1994, AM 1996

Rare Treat in PF http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36217/

Classic Look in PF http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/34500/

Merino, Australia

Thank you very much Joan. The one I had growing before definitely had a white beard and I wanted to get it again.
There are so many similar out there. It was sold to me as Classic Look , so that person was wrong.
i will check more closely next time. Thanks again. Jean.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

You're welcome! I hope you find the Iris you are looking for.

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

It is rather rare to get a fully white beard on a blue plicata. Autumn Circus is listed as one - but most the others have at least some color. Hemstitched's is listed as pale blue white.

Could you get back to your original source and get another of it - maybe your best chance of getting what you had.
Good Luck.

Merino, Australia

Thanks for the comments. Maybe the one I had was just a fluke . The place I bought it from is no longer there.
All Irises are lovely anyway.
I am very attached to my 200 and am trying to make sure I have the correct info on each one.
Jean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.