What weird weather we're having #6

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/928510/

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Well, I'll say it again. Hi all, sounds like everyone is geared up for the storm. Here's a pic of our place on the 27th of Jan this yr.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

And DH plowing the driveway so we could get out. LOL

Thumbnail by gardener105
(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

It is cold and raining.....mom gave me an Electric Lap Robe for my BD and I am making good use of it right now....and probably much more later from the sounds of the weather....

Love the Snow Pictures....it is so beautiful just about anywhere when it snows.....I love it if I don't have to be out in it.

Lowell.....we were just kids hadn't really decided what we wanted to do or where we wanted to settle....were checking out the Eugene area and the place out in Lowell happened to be what we could afford at the time....from there we were in Ashland/Medford for while, San Francisco, Oroville CA., Vancouver B.C.....ended up back in Olympia until we became Bicycle Gypsies and moved around a good bit working for several of the big bicycle corporations.....

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Tricia, the next time you're down this way you should go by Lowell, if you haven't already. You remember the big hill that lowell sits beneath right? Lowell Butte (used to be called Dissapointment Butte). Anyhow, there are houses now that go almost to the top of that Butte. They are are farely large houses being maybe 2-3500sq. feet. A few of them are even in the $million+ price range. Sort of hard to believe huh?

cute cartoon on Hosta's and deer. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/931924/

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

zhinu have you considered selling prints of your bridge in the snow. I would love to have one for my Christmas displays.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Well it sounds like nasty weather is coming and I got back home this afternoon with my new pal. The Song Dog Kennels were so interesting and the Indian dogs are beautiful. When I first got there I spotted a dark brown female standing off a ways and looking at me. The breeder was introducing me to a few of the adult dogs that he said might be a good match for me but I kept looking at the brown one. Then he said "I have one that is a little shy but she is the sweetest dog in the world" and he called out "Koka Koka" and over came the brown one I had been watching. From that moment on, after a few sniffs, she would not leave my side and she is now asleep by my feet. She is 4 and has had 2 litters and was then neutered since Kim (the half Blackfoot Indian guy) won't breed a dog more than twice to prevent inbreeding. She is quiet, obedient, sweet, loves riding in the car, and loves loves loves to run and chase balls. She is making friends with my cats but the cats are not liking this one bit! She stayed in a hotel room with me in Grants Pass last night and slept very soundly. She is a little freaked out by the noise of cars since she was on a ranch/vineyard but with a lot of walks and talks I think she will adjust to that. So I have found a new companion and I am so happy! Here she is surveying the scene.

Thumbnail by Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

Her eyes are not really 2 different colors!

Thumbnail by Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

watching the cats

Thumbnail by Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

she seems to like the stair landing

Thumbnail by Portland1
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful dog. Congratulations on the new member of the family!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Zhinu - I do hope your DMIL joins us here at DG and becomes addicted just like I have!

rc -I decided to heed the weather report you posted and did not go to Oakridge to visit my sister. I thought it best to just get back home before the storm. The driving was nasty with a lot of dense fog and LOTS of trucks. I just ran to the market and got all the stuff to make soup so this weekend it will be hibernation time with the new dog.

Kokapelli is that little Indian guy with the flute and that is who Koka was named after. My sister thought it was "good luck" but that little flute player represents fertility - just what I need!
As though 61 with 7 kids isn't enough! Once a year many of the people who got Indian dogs from the Song Dog Kennels meet back at the kennels with their dogs to get acquainted and share dog stories. Isn't that great?

I hope you all stay safe and warm through the storm.

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Congratulations! She looks beautiful. Glad to hear you made it home safe before the weather turned nasty. We'll be looking for more wonderful photos of your new gal in the future.

Eugene, OR

Portland....Congratulations...I was hoping you'd check in tonight. What a beautiful dog!! You can see the intelligence in her eyes. And she looks perfectly calm and at peace. Sounds like it was love at first sight for both of you.

Had to go to town for DH's doc appt. so we picked up things to last a few days. LOL If need be we could eat out of our freezer for a month! But ya need veggies, milk, etc. right? It started raining right on cue, just before 1:00. It's been windy (sometimes quite windy) and raining most of the evening. Letting up a little now. Still have wind warnings through the night, but it sounds like it's worse on the coast. Still hope it's not as bad as think.

Portland, your Koka is a beautiful dog. I love the ritch brown color. I'm house sitting out in a tiny town in between Cottage Grove and Cresswell right now. But, i had to go home tonight to grab a few things, thats where I'm at right now. Anyhow. Up to Oakridge, things are fine. But, about 3 mi. past Oakridge it is snowing heavily. I talked with some folks who had just come down off the pass and they said that they were driving through blizzard like conditions for about a 15 mi. stretch up there and that it took about an hour to drive those 15 mi. So even if Oakridge is fine, it still sounds as if avoiding Willamette Pass was a very wise decision. So far, wind, rain, snow, all the usuals, but we still have power, that's good. The T.v. is out, so a tree or two must have already come down, or someone drove somwhere that they shouldn't have. we'll hope for a tree.

I'm stocking up too Sally :-p There's hardly a stitch of anything where I'm staying. Lots of Dog and Cat food though! So the pets are good to go:-p

Eugene, OR

Sounds like you need to hit the store LOL Are you near Saginaw, I have a friend who lives there. Our TV is o.k. but that's a different system there. Got caught in Saginaw once, when it was snowing, took me a long time getting home. I was glad everyone else wanted to drive as slow as I did. LOL Even the truckers were slow!! It's not that much higher, but I know she always gets it worse than we do.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

Not a very good picture, but here's Mom's bears.

I always turn them so she can see them from the window.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2008 10:16 PM

Thumbnail by Sally_OR

Yep, that's the place. lol. Wow, someone who actually knows where Saginaw is! That doesn't happen very often. Which means that you also know why they need a house/pet sitter. Yeah, it's not really higher, but it just doesn't get much sun there, so I think it's always a couple of degrees cooler. Glad that you made it out of there. Your lights look great. Nice job.

What's your friends' name Sally? I've only met maybe three people here in Saginaw. But, knowing just 3 people gives about a 10% chance that I know your friend! (more like 5% chance, but it seems like 10 :-p )

Eugene, OR

Her name is Helen, left after the railroad tracks, next right, green mail box partway up the hill on the left.

Eugene, OR

She was a hair dresser and now she does people out of her house. She was a friend of mom and dad's. So I used to take mom there to get her done. Mom can't walk up her hill anymore, so I had to find another place. And Helen is in her 80's and it's harder for her to do hair, so I stopped going too.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hey all. havent been on for awhile. lovely dog... and lites! cheery :) what do you guys think about this suppossed snow were suppossed to get this weekend? here comes the crazy weather again. i ended up working in the rain for about 3 hours today finishing up a landscaping project for a client for her "xmas party' tonight. what a pain.. i was drenched!!! ( i do landscaping during the day) our schedule went like this this week... mon-cut and remove old sod... tues get top soil delivered and haul and spread it (stinkkyyy!!!, grass will love it) wed... go pick up 1,300lbs. flagstone to border 50 long flower bed (fun fun) and pick out and bring over about 50 1 gallon plants... set all the flagstone and stashed the plants.... thur- drove to eugene to pick up about 650 sq. ft sod then drive back and installed jsut over 1/2 of it and today finished installing it and then as soon as we were through with that the rain started. my partner had to leave and i was there another 3 hours in the rain planting and doing clean up... (cooolllddd and wet!) but the up side is she already has had 4 calls about who did it and her bosses wife was there while we were finishing up and loved it. gave them a bunch of cards to pass out at party so MAYBE (keeping fingers crossed) i will get a bunch more clients out of this! that would be great!! will shoot yousome pics when i get a chance. i

its stroming like crazy now.. gonna be a windy night. bundle up everyone!! :-P

Eugene, OR

I heard it was hitting the coast hard. It's so calm right now you wouldn't even know there was a storm. Wind is still popping up now and then. But it's stopped raining.

shokami2..sounds like you had your hands full this week. Post the pics when you can.

Helen was such a kick, everytime we went, we couldn't begin to guess what she had done to her house. She is constantly redecorating. Repainting walls, furniture, new pictures, new drapes, etc. And it was always lovely, she'd paint a wall red, tie in the furniture somehow, put up new curtains, or a swag, new pictures, etc. It was really fun.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I just came home from the neighbor's house. It snowed for about 10 minutes, but has turned to rain now.

Eugene, OR

I think the cold part is tomorrow night. I'm glad that so far we don't have the winds they predicted.

It was bizarre shopping today, everyone was doing the same thing. Stocking up, batteries, generators, food, water, etc. Saw a guy in HD buying styrofoam blocks that looked like they would fit the vents around the house. Didn't have time to check it out (DH figured out we stopped at 8 places today) but I want to check those out. If they fit mom's it would be better than the pieces of foam I cut. Mine have covers, but they're thin. Note to self...check those out next time at HD.

Eugene, OR

Well, it just started snowing/raining so maybe I'll get up to white wonderland tomorrow. The flakes are pretty big, so it may stick. Only saw it because the motion light came on....raccoon on the deck, looks so pathetic.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Redchic, you might check for a satellite dish - sometimes they get filled up with snow and that ruins the reception. If you can reach up to clear them out, you might get TV back.

My commute took twice as long tonight because of the high winds on Lake Washing. It was treacherous going over the bridge - the floating part of the bridge was moving, the bus was getting rocked with high winds and the waves were splashing over the south side across all four lanes. If I'd been in a little sedan, I would have lost visibility in between each wiper stroke. Was so happy to finally get across (and my feet were wet and I had to go to the bathroom!!).

It feels cold here, but not bitter cold - yet. The winds have died down for us - they were the worst during the day today. I heard earlier tonight that the storm system took a different track than what was anticipated, so the winter storm warning for this area was actually "called off".

Portland, I'm glad you're back and that you and your girl bonded so quickly and so easily. She looks like a doll - how fun for you.

Sally, you are such a good daughter. I love that your mom can see her bears out the window for Christmas.

Eugene, OR

I put them there for her, not the neighbors ^_^.

If you're warning was called off, I'd hate to see how much worse it would have been!! Sounds like a scary ride to me!

I forgot about the satellite dish, we have one too and that is usually my chore, to brush out the snow. I put a plastic bag over the receptor if it gets too nasty. My friend in Saginaw didn't even have cable until recently. What's really strange about me not thinking of the dish......I helped build the DirecTV Satellite. That was my job for 35 years. LOL

ahhhh, I almost feel sorry for those raccoons. Almost, but not quite.

Shokami, wow, you've had a hard week. But hopefully it will all pay off in the end. Hopefully they paid you well for having all of this an such a short time frame. What sort of plants went in? Anything interesting?

I never thought of Styrofoam blocks for those vents. What a great idea!

Such a small world Sally! So, the place that I'm staying in is just a little farther up that same rd, but on the rt. side. Unfortunately Helen is not one of the few that I've met, but it sounds as if I should! She sounds like she's quite a character. Maybe if I'm having a 'hair emergency' I should call her?! :-p I think that she lives within a house or two of some person that has about 5 dogs, which is 5 unruly dogs too many. They are all crammed into this kennel that is muddy in the winter and they are truly aggressive and mean dogs. I always fear that one or all of them is going to clear the kennel fence and maul the dogs and I. Molly, the resident cat, just came in and has a couple of snow flakes on her. I guess it's snowing out.

Portland, I think that you probably made the right decision about going through. When I went back through Oakridge, at about 10 pm. it was snowing quite well until a few miles north of town. the rest of the highway had lots of sitting water on it, so it's going to be an ice rink here soon. There wasn't a single car coming down of the pass, so I can only guess that it had temporarily closed or most everyone is voluntarily stopping up there. I checked on the Santiam pass on I-5, it said it was requiring traction tires or chains as well as temporary delays.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2008 9:24 AM

Katie, that's a great idea, but I have cable tv ^_^ When I wrote earlier I had stopped at home to grab some things, got on the computer for a bit and of course got into DG and talked for a bit, and tried to turn on the tv while I was packing a few things. TV was just a blue screen. I've been back at the place where I'm house sitting, Saginaw for a couple hours now. I've been trying to get some heat out to the pump house here. There's also TV here!
What a trip you had getting home! I'm sooooo glad to hear that you made it home all right. What a scary event to be on a shaking bridge! OMG. That would terribly freak me out. I'm glad that the wind has died down for you. What a video that would've made if someone were able to record it and stand still enough to do it.

Eugene, OR

Quite a character is exactly right. The stories she could tell!! And when she was doing my hair she would yank it around, til I had to tell her to ease up (and I can deal with a lot). But she gave such good haircuts, hard to find these days. She has this huge garden and grows a little of everything. I'm sure you would like her.

Stopped snowing, just left a dusting that won't last long. I'm sure the traffic on 58 won't be so heavy for the next few days.

I'm going to look for the green mailbox tomorrow and see if she has to deal with that silly neighbor with the dogs. Hmmm.... I do need a haircut :-p the cat just thought about going outside. she turned around and came back in. Must still be cold.

Eugene, OR

I just checked and they've eliminated our wind alert as well. Yeah!! Just the storm warning for Sat and Sun now.

Wahoo.... that's great news!

Portland.... I went to check the weather forcast for Oakridge area just now. A "blizzard storm warning" was the headline. It's been a really, really long time since I've seen a blizzard storm warning. Here's the copy, and what you were smart to just keep right on going through!

Blizzard Warning for Cascades In Lane County, OR
until 12 pm PST, Sat., Dec. 13, 2008

Local Radar MapWhat's This?
Updated 13 Dec 2008 2:40 am Local Time
Enlarge Map | Weather in Motion®

Get WeatherReady
Prepare for Winter Storms
Tips for Snow & Ice Removal
Get Live Traffic Reports
Driving in Snow & Ice
Wintry Precipitation Explained
Issued by The National Weather Service
Portland, OR
7:35 pm PST, Fri., Dec. 12, 2008

... BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM PST SATURDAY FOR THE NORTHERN OREGON CASCADES... THE CASCADES IN LANE COUNTY AND THE SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADES...

A BLIZZARD WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM PST SATURDAY.

HEAVY SNOW IS FALLING IN THE SOUTH WASHINGTON AND NORTH AND CENTRAL OREGON CASCADES THIS EVENING... AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING. SNOW AMOUNTS THROUGH SATURDAY COULD REACH 2 TO 4 FEET... WITH WINDS THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING FREQUENTLY GUSTING TO 25 TO 35 MPH OR HIGHER IN MUCH OF THE CASCADES. WINDS WILL GUST AS HIGH AS 50 MPH AT TIMES THROUGH TONIGHT OVER THE HIGHER RIDGES. THIS WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH WHITE OUT CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR SHOWED THE SNOW INCREASING THIS EVENING BEHIND A PACIFIC COLD FRONT. STRONG ONSHORE FLOW BEHIND THE FRONT WILL MAINTAIN HEAVY SNOW IN THE CASCADES TONIGHT AND SATURDAY. AS COLDER AIR MOVES INTO THE AREA... THE SNOW LEVEL WILL CONTINUE TO FALL THROUGH TONIGHT... REACHING DOWN TO BETWEEN 500 AND 1000 FEET SATURDAY.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS... MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED... STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

More Information
... A STRONG WINTER STORM CONTINUES TO BRING SNOW AND WIND TO THE HIGHER TERRAIN THROUGH TONIGHT... SIGNIFICANT SNOW MAY AFFECT EVEN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON BY SUNDAY...

.A STRONG PACIFIC WINTER STORM IS MOVING THROUGH THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST THIS EVNEING AND WILL MOVE EAST OF THE AREA TONIGHT AND SATURDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE HEAVY SNOW OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON THROUGH SATURDAY AS THE SNOW LEVEL LOWERS TO BETWEEN 500 AND 1000 FEET BY SATURDAY. STRONG WINDS WILL PRODUCE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS OVER THE HIGHER CASCADES... WITH CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW EVEN AT LOWER ELEVATIONS OF THE MOUNTAINS.

A SECOND SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP IN ITS WAKE AND TRANSITION DOWN THE COAST BRINGING FAVORABLE FLOW AND MOISTURE FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OVER MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA INCLUDING THE WILLAMETTE VALLEY FLOOR.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I somehow lost you, didn't fine the 'NEW ROOM' LOL
Hope you all fare well during this storm.

Portland, Kudos on you new found friend she has wisdom in those eyes will be a very good friend for you, that is the same way I found my Lab Ester after I lost my Buddy. She has so bonded to me by saving her from the kennels she came from, she was 2 when I got her, she is now 7. The funny thing about the day I got her, she was terrified of getting in a car, had never been out of the kennel. Now OH please I want to go, and jumps in and loves it, can't leave her behind or she will pout. LOL
Have a Happy day
Tills

Thumbnail by tillysrat

that's Ok Tilly, we all get a little lost sometime! Ester is sweet.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

WOw. Its calm as clam here, and not cold.
Hope you all well be OKay.
Nite Nite time for me
Hugs to to you all
Tills

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Portland, your Koka is beautiful. Seems she knew that you were there just to get her. :) I love the color of her fur. Will be looking forward to more pics in the days to come.

Be safe everyone. Lots of people up in the northeast are w/o power. There are quite a few DGers that we haven't heard from, so I'm assuming they are affected.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.