What's In Your Garden, Part 4

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Not far away from the croton is this Duranta, Golden Due Drop. It just keeps blooming and getting bigger.

That's it for tonight. Keep warm!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love them all, Jim. Especially the Duranta and Thryallis shrubs!! Great group of people!
So far I haven't had to drive in ice-I work in a county tech school and they close when our area schools close since the kids are from all over. We never had much ice before (just snow) but these days are different-it's like living in North Carolina!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I love those crotons; I've grown them as house plants in the past.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

For those of us who have lived snow deprived lives, thanks so much for the snow gardens. I bet you don't see how beautiful they are. The snow covered walkways, frosted lawns, beige grasses and leafless trees are as beautiful (maybe more so) than the tropical, South Florida gardens, that were part of my native upbringing. I love them both. Thanks Joanne and Kathy for the winter wonderland photos. I took some pics today here in the country. Nothing tropical and no great snow banks. I'll post photos soon. Out of town guests at this time of year put a damper on my DG time. The greens for the soup pot do keep growing though.
Laurel

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Good to see you Laurel!
What a contrast!! The gorgeous icy pics from Kathy ( Klaus really loved your very first one) and Jim's beautiful tropical paradise are sure to please everyone! Nice group pic too!

Thanks Ursula. I heard I missed a holiday party here.

View from the kitchen garden of neighboring mountains.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

My love frogs and festuca glauca.

Christmas beans. These are true limas and are described as having a chestnut flavor.

The chimney is now rebuilt and the new roof went on a two weeks ago. We had our first fire last night. I should take a fire photo. Now back to our company.
Laurel

Laurel, you bet wrong cause I definitely see how beautiful they are (why else would I be out there sliding around and freezing?) but then I didn't have to go anywhere in a car for two days and my heat was on, so I had the wiggle room to actually enjoy the beauty! LOL.

Thumbnail by boojum
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Beautiful pic of the ice, Kathy. Glad you didn't have to travel in it.

Love the color of the roof, Laurel.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, love the frogs! Kathy, I took another look at the sun picture you posted on the 12th and think it is a classic. You should have it framed.

My butterfly gartden is still blooming well. Here is red pentas.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And some yellow lantana. I'm going to have to take the camera back outside and get some more pics. It's in the 70s so it's a treat.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Jim,

Here's my lantana. Froze back on October 15, one month before average first frost date.

Uhhh, if you are having trouble seeing it, it's the bushy sticks just this side of the blue bottle tree.

This would be my winter terrain. Only time to see the frosts would be at 6am while it's still dark and we are scraping the ice off the windshield.

Bet you thought I lived in Fla?

Thumbnail by MollyMc

But, on the brighter side, I am going to cheat. These are blooming in my GH/porch.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And these:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And these

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Love that last one!! Where is Archer/Bronson?

Thanks Boojum, Bronson is about 25 miles SW of Gainesville Fla. North Central Fla.

Ah, been to Ocala and Cedar Key but never Gainesville.

South, TX

My Mutabulis roses are about 10 feet high, bloom all year.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

This is full of blooms now.

South, TX

More flowers and tumbling bunny...

South, TX

Container on my table on the patio.

South, TX

Nasturiums.

South, TX

Well, I will add just one more. Variegated Turk's Cap. I love Turk's Cap. I have three kinds. Reg. red, pink and this variegated with huge blooms.

South, TX

oops

Sally, lovely blooms. I've not seen the varig. Turks cap but love it. Would have the urge to get one if I didn't have a complex about everything variegated dying here.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is wonderful to see your gardens! I really like the Abutilon and the variegated Turk's cap!
Sally, that is a gorgeous Orchid.

South, TX

Thank you.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice posts Sally. Mutabilis does well in Florida too. Keep us up to date with your Texas garden. I lived in San Antonio for a couple of years back in the early 80s and enjoyed it very much.

Molly, welcome to the orchid forum. We used to chat in the Florida forum but I don't get over there very much anymore. My sick mother is a handfull. You are only about 2.5 hours northeast of me but the climate is really different. Our low temp this year has been 41.

Jo, you commented on how you love crotons so I thought I would show you a few more from the garden. I love the shape of the leaves on this one.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This croton with the skinny leaves is called Rembrant's Paintbrush.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is one with a little red in it.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a shrub rose called Carefree Beauty and it is just that. No spraying required.

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I had no idea there were so many crotons. I just know the old multicolored one that I shared legroom with all the drive home from Florida when I was 9 so my dad would stop giving my mom grief about her purchase. Foreshadowing of things to come!!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a Polyantha called La Marne.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Jim, where are your roses located on the property?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy, there is a Croton Society down here that show up at all the plant sales. I'll bet they have 30 or so varieties to sell each time I see them.

It looks like papayas will be on the breakfast table before long. My two trees have made a nice recovery from last year's freeze.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Back in part 3 of this thread, when I was up on the roof, there was a pretty good shot of the rose garden location. See http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5872060. It is a 40 foot in diameter circle with a sidewalk running through it. So, backyard on the left as you are looking toward the lake. Here is a picture of the rose garden in its springtime prime.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Just wonderful Jim!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.