Snow in TX (proof we're just a TZG wannabe!!!!!)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Would you believe that we have snow in Texas? White rain, sleet, whatever you want to call it, it is STICKING......

Here's a few pictures!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hood of DS's truck......

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

wooden trunk

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Snowcapped Hut as a "makeshift greenhouse".... Good thing, huh? It's supposed to be 32* F in the morning!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Mexican Fan Palm a little while ago

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Top of my car....I scooped up enough to make a snowball to throw at DS.....I took aim and then changed my mind........haha!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Snowball

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Patio Table with nice fall flowers surrounded by SNOW......guess I should change them to "winter" ones......

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That's all for now folks......might be enough to make a snowman later.....an itty bitty miniature one.......maybe! LOL!

Last time we had snow was four years ago. It killed about 1/3 of my plants. Hopefully the ones that aren't in the hut or the swingset greenhouse will make it OK. I may go and cover some of them. This was definately a "surprise". Who ever would have thunk it.......This is SouthEast Texas......!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL!! Welcome to the snowy winter wonderland!!

Here's a pic from yesterday when the snow was really coming down.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Keaau, HI

Brrr! Makes me want to shut the windows and put shoes on.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It's still coming down.....here's a few more.....

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

snow covered sago

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

More snow......

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Snow man

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Majesty Palm (oops I forgot to rotate the picture.....sorry!)

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 2:10 AM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Snow covered makeshift swingset greenhouse......well....it's still holding together.

Hard to believe it's supposed to be 75 on Friday!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Keaau, HI

Snow on a Cycad; that's a 1st!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Daylily bed

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Mexican Fan Palm......

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hawaiian Schefflera

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Keaau, HI

Will those plants survive?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Metro, it may be it's last.....don't think they can take it......

Keaau, HI

Sad to see Texasgal. Those Majesty Palms are endangered too. Is the storm hitting other sensitive areas?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm going to go out with a broom and knock off as much of the snow as possible. It is supposed to snow for at least another hour tho. I'll probably do it again then.

Four years ago the rubber tree was to the edge of the roof when it snowed and it killed it back to where I didn't think it would survive. Four years later and it is almost to the edge of the roof again.......

The banana trees will come back. Not too sure about the Mexican Fan Palms....I think they will be OK. I had quite a few plants that RJ had given me......they are probably damaged. I did put a few under the makeshift green house.

All plumerias were in the GH. The ferns in front of the hut may be OK......they were there before.......only time will tell.....

Fortunately the orchids are here in the house. So beautiful and yet so sad......

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy is just 32 miles from here.....I'm sure he got snow too. I tried to call while ago, but it went to message.

Txflowerlady got snow in DeerPark also......South of here Seabrook and Galveston got snow.....so check out the Texas forum........I'm sure others near here did also!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your compassion, Metro. It is so appreciated!

Jeanne

Keaau, HI

Best of wishes Jeanne. Sounds like you're getting too much experience dealing with unexpected storms. Hope things turn out ok.

Aloha, Dave

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

A few more pictures....too much snow

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Pepper, definately a Winter Wonder Land.....haha

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My cozy corner in Banana Tree Grove by the makeshift GH

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hawaiian Schefflera, brug, bench and beyond

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Some of the plants that RJ gave me......Randy I am so sorry.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Peach hibiscus by the hut makeshift greenhouse

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

One of those leafy antler looking plants that hides my AC unit......

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baton Rouge, LA

We didn't get the snow... just the sleet. If we're going to be so cold, I'd sure appreciate a little of the pretty stuff coming down rather than just this ice! =P

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The table again with more snow on it. I think it has finally stopped snowing.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Jeanne, I am so sorry that you have been hit so badly. Any chance that the snow cover will act like an insulator?
I'll try to help replace some of your plants that don't make it in the spring, if I have anything that you want....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I would gladly send you some Blissful! Love the "pretty stuff" but sure am worried about my tropical plants!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 2:04 AM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Jen, thanks so very much for the offer! You are such a dear!

Some things will pull thru, we'll have to see what doesn't in the Spring. We went out and knocked the snow off of most of them, except that it was still snowing. I'm going to go check and see how much more is on them now.

Dusty, my cat, is sitting outside my door hollering, "Maaaaaa" so I need to go shut him up anyway. He can see the light under my door so he knows I'm up. He is going to wake DS if he keeps it up. I will get back to you later.

Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.