ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #136 - Holiday Baking Season Begins!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We are continued from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/929405/

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That photo was taken Christmas Eve, 2004. It is the front of my house right after the big ice storm. It was right before we lost power for over 2 weeks.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Jill just made a great post at the end of our last thread
Post #5877997
Which she gave the link to her chocolate chip cookie thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/561548/

I wanted to bring it up here, because I wanted to type a couple recipes also!

Mom just got home from the grocery let me help her and I will be back in a minute.

oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire inside is sooooo delightful , let it snow let it snow , let it snooooooowwwww.
muddy here in our woods. Been inside for two days myself. LOL
just don't want to get dressed. ack.
but i got to pick up the kids today T says i have to :) so he can work on our stinky water .
take care
sue

that is awsome thanks

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Neal...I got the envelope yesterday with the herbs. Thanks so much for doing this. Will get you reimbursed pronto!!! Thanks again.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Neal - Mom brought my envelope in with her.... check will go out tomorrow!

Now I won't have time to type the recipes :-( But will do tonight when I get home. Have awesome candy corn recipe that doesn't get real hard - also an easy chocolate candy for Toni.

Have to grab quick bite, and get ready for work.

Jules

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Think I have time to do the candy one. I have had this for so many years I won't admit to it. I think you could melt the chocolate in the microwave instead of on the stove.

Chocolate Nut Puffs

1-1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter
36 large marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped nuts - we like pecans or sliced almonds

Place marshmallows neatly in rows in an 8" pan. Set aside. In heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter. Heat slowly till melted. Pour chocolate mixture over marshmallows in pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Let set till cooled, then chill. Cut into squares of one marshmallow a piece.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I received my fragrant package today, too. *sniff* garrrrrlic, yum. :) Do you have a PayPal address? Dmail it to me if you would.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh, thank you for the new thread....I was having a lot of trouble getting the other thread to come up.

YEAH, Marcy, with the stairs!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Jules, how well I remember that ice storm!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks MsRobin! The only thing I haven't tried yet is getting down on my knees....and I think it's a bit early for that!

Edited to say...do you realize how many things require you to get on your knees?????
Also wanted to say...Jules...I am gonna try that recipe. It sure looks good!!

This message was edited Dec 10, 2008 6:31 PM

still no tv !!!!
man this sucks
i m soooo bored.
my dishwasher is making a noise too and go figure T just can't hear it . grrrrr
Hey Marcy good going on the stairs ! sorry i forgot to mention it.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Just a flyby to mark the new thread and to say thanks Jules for the candy recipe and Jill for the cookie one! I'll use them both.

Got Chinese food so I am gonna go gobble.

BBL

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey guys and Gals!
I want to say first I believe in the power of prayer. I need some now. I went to Dr. today and got a bad EKG and spent the rest of day in hospital having test done. My regular Dr. also made me a appointment with a local cardiologist ASAP. She said it may be nothing, but the area on the EKG thats not quite right is the same area as my heart was damaged before during the heart attack, so It may be nothing. They did some drug shuffling, so maybe that will help. She even said we may need a stress test. I hate those!! I am not asking for you all to feel sorry for me, just needing some prayer and good energy coming my way. The next 2 weeks are going to be filled with test and Dr. appointments.
George

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

George your prayer circle extends to Cleveland! and Me and Oprah are sending you good vibrations, Buddy!

Be well!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

George, sorry to hear that, and hope you are right that they are only seeing old damage. Ask your doc about doing a nuclear stress test... no walking, it's chemical-induced stress instead, and wears off quickly. Mine was a lot easier on my body than the treadmill...

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Prayers coming your way, George.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

George..... Robyn and I are here for you too!

(((HUGS)))
Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey George...like Darius said..hoping it's old damage they are seeing...but my prayers and thoughts are and will be with you!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Much Love and Smoke coming your way Geo.... I love you ...be sure someone has a way to reach all of us and keep us posted...
Chem Stress are better....but RELAX... I know that alone will stress you but you need to let go...and be quiet....Let me know if you need me....

Neal...Thank you for my goodies....I still have to get next door to get it, if Cookie hasn't absconded with it...I will have her send the payment for all of it, and I will pay her...She is much speedier and more efficient than I am...LOL and thank you for the reminder on changing the addy...Temps are dropping rapidly here from 54 to 30... It was snowning hard and stickin in MOraine when I left the yard at 7:00, but nothing here in Franklin... or south of 675...It was also snowing in Springfield when I left there at 5:15...and down past Enon...It is going to be UGLY in the morning with alot of Black Ice, so be realllly careful out there...

Marcy.. This is what a Felting Needle will do also...One of the OLDER ones.. Each hair is inserted with a Felting needle.. Usually Mohair is used...These are what is called Reborn Dolls unless they are Sculpts as mine were mostly...

Nite all .. Love and hugs... I am dead...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, George, I got your back, wish I had known this before I went to Bible Study, I would have included you on that prayer list. I will certainly put you on the prayer chain my church maintains. Sure hope it is prior damage. Are you feeling good?, Any symptoms of something being wrong?

Darius, didn't say it last night, but glad that you seem to have been given a fairly good report, or did I read that right? A good night's sleep sure cures a lot.

Recipes sound good, but I don't do much candy making or cookie making, as I don't eat sweets, and DH isn't supposed to have them.

Sue, sorry that you still don't have tv. What is the problem anyway?

Today was grocery/errand day, and I finished in almost record time. Did go by the hospital to check on DMIL, and was fortunate enough to be there when the Dr came in. They are trying a new medicine, and if he sees no improvements with that in 24 hours she will be released to go to the nursing home on Friday. He confessed that he doesn't know what else to do for her. They will just be trying to keep her comfortable, and hoping that the breathing problems does not send her back to the hospital/

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

George, no one feels sorry FOR you, we worry WITH you. We hope the best FOR you. We laugh WITH you and feel sad when you do. Chin up. Chest out. It's probably old damage and nothing new. My dad could always feel when something had changed and I think most often he knew more than the doctors and had much stronger faith than they ever did. We'll be waiting for a good report!

Bonnie, I hope your DMIL sees a quick recovery. In the least, I hope they can keep her comfortable and stabilize her meds. It's sad and frustrating to watch those around us suffer or struggle while we feel helpless.

I have to shower in about an hour and go to my 26 week appointment at the OB. Next time I go back, I have to get my rhogam shot, my Strep B test and do the nasty glucose test. I've never had problems before and hope this one is just as boring. Hopefully my blood pressure is still on the lower range so they don't go nuts on me. ;) On the 18th, I enter the third trimester! This seems to be going so slow and so fast at the same time.

The girls get out of school two hours early today. Next week will be wild children with Christmas parties and a one our early dismissal on Friday. Then they'll be home until January 5th. Another mom and I joke that they seem to be home more than they go to school! LOL My oldest two are mad at me. They will be spending break without their cell phones. I had to cut them off the plan to save money, now that their contracts are up. I felt bad doing it since they don't have much else but money is money.

Monday I had to take all my papers to the state office again to keep benefits. I can't believe it's been six months already! Friday, I have to do the WIC stuff again. All these little appointments are stressful and it feels like they go out of their way to make you feel like a jerk.

Here is my latest project. I learned how to make these a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is another. Believe it or not, there is 12 feet of ribbon on there!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess I should have said that these are headbands. LOL I rolled up some white fleece to display them and get pics.

This was the first one I did. Now that I have them figured out, I can play with the pattern. You can do anywhere from one single color up to four different colors or any combination in between.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi guys,

Please forgive me for intruding in your forum, but someone just told me my garden buddy George was having some health concerns. And I thought I'd come over to tell him he was in my prayers, too.

I had just emailed George yesterday about mulching some of the irises he got from me, and he said nothing about any health problems in his return email, just said he was going to mulch the irises.

George, you are in my thoughts and prayers, and I bet it's just some old damage, too. But don't you go out and mulch those irises until you find out what's going on. Your health is paramount. The irises will be fine, and can be easily replaced, where you can't, so take it easy. Bless you.

My husband had a heart attack years ago, and his old damage always shows up on the EKG, too. But stress tests show no further problems, and he has no angina, so everything is good. Hopefully it will be that way for you too.

I will continue to lurk to see how George is doing. The whole thread is pretty interesting, and I can't wait to see how some of the other things mentioned here turn out too, LOL. You sound like a bunch of great folks on this forum.

Polly

Polly, come on in, and join us, you don't necessarily have to live in our area to be a part of this group.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Polly! Welcome to the ORVG. Stop by any time.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the invitation. I may do that. I don't lead a very interesting life, so I would probably bore you all. And I'm definitely a 'not fair weather' friend, as I'm only on the computer in the bad weather. But I truly appreciate the invitation. It's always nice to have friends to talk to on here.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

(((((((((((( George ))))))))))))) and big hug from my Mom too ! She thought you were "delightful."

I have errands to run, so will dash these off quick -

I was babysitting when I was a teenager, and the woman had a package of this caramel corn made for me to take home with me. It was so good, I called her the next day for the recipe. I make it to include in gifts I give to some of our neighbors. It does not get really hard, which is why I like it so much better than other recipes. I have added nuts before, but it doesn't need it.

15 cups popped popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven. Make popcorn. (I use an air popper) Put in 2 - 13 x 9 greased pans, (I use one large turkey size aluminum foil roaster. When I use the roaster, I don't grease it and have not had problems). Mix sugars, butter, salt and Karo in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Heat until bubbly around edge, then cook for 5 minutes. Take off heat, add soda. Stir till foamy. Divide syrup between pans of corn and stir till corn is evenly coated. Bake one hour, stirring well every 15 minutes. Cool, and store in airtight container.

This is one of the easiest of recipes. It's not really a holiday recipe - but I usually make it to take in to work and share with the "guys" - they love it.

Peanut Butter Pie
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
8-10 oz. Cool Whip
2 prepared graham cracker or chocolate cookie crumb pie crusts (store-bought kind)

Cream softened cream cheese in mixer or food processor, then add peanut butter. Cream well. Add powdered sugar, cream well. Fold in Cool Whip by hand until well blended and fluffy. Spoon into pie shells and smooth out. You can decorate top with small chocolate chips, or shaved chocolate if you wish. Refrigerate until firm before serving. Keep refrigerated.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh George....darlin....praying hard for you....and do as Polly says...until you know something please, please don't overdo it as you have a hard time keeping yourself quiet! Now listen to Cookie!

Jules, thank you so much for those recipes, I'll be trying both. Long long time ago there was a restaurant that served peanut butter pie that sounds like this. Seems like every PB pie recipe I come across wants you to make those little crumb things with PB and sugar and that one just comes across as way too sweet for me. This one sounds so much better!

Bertie and I are going to Marvin's Organic Garden's Holiday Party tonight. Food, drinks and garden stuff...what more could you ask for on a cold winter night! I asked Dusty to go but she's been working her arse off and I haven't seen her!

Neal, I'll get your money in the mail tomorrow now that I know Dusty wants me to send for both of us.

Polly, do stay and play with us!! We're a pretty fun group.

Chele, I just can't believe you're almost in your 3rd trimester! I don't think it's going slow at all, but then.....he he...I'm not carrying the little guy around!!

Marcy...glad the knee seems to be healing great. You go girl!

Toni, so glad you're back, we missed you while you were gone.

Isn't Dusty's baby adorable? I just want to hug her!

Bonnie...doesn't DGD ever want to do baking and candy making for the holiday? I have candy to make, but not looking forward to it with this stupid arthritis!

Darius, how goes the coloring? Are you a delightful purple now? ;o) I can't believe you got gas for 1.24...wow...I filled up at $1.49 and thought that was great till you posted!

Ric and Robyn your remodel looks awesome! Now I'm wondering how Robyn is going to have time to do all her wonderful baking for the holiday with all that other work!

Speaking of Robyn well that reminds me of Robin....WHERE ARE YOU??? No excuses now...you aren't gardening much, I'm pretty sure... check in please.

Melissa, don't just drop and run....stay and chat awhile.

If I've missed saying hello it isn't cause I meant to, I caught that CRS thing from Bonnie.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone!
Polly...so nice to meet you!! Join in anytime!
Chele....love the hairbands! I have been trying to get Ashley to wear a head band...but she won't! She is letting her bangs grow out...and it drives grandma crazy to see them in her face! (She doesn't seem to mind!)
So tell me Chele...exactly when is the baby due? I must have missed it?
Jules...that recipe for carmel corn is just like the one Lou posted to do in the microwave! I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Seems like it would be so much less work in the microwave to me!!
Dusty...that baby is adorable! I guess I am the only one who never heard of needle felting! Wow...makes me feel dumb! I sewed for years...made most everything you can think of...and never heard of that! Duhhhhh!!! Guess you can tell I haven't done any for a while!
Well...have to go the the library today. Finished up my last book last night...and I can't stand to be without something to read!! Then I don't know what I'll be getting in to????
Hope you all have a good day! (Geo...thinking about you!!)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

(((George))), keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Try to keep your mind on other things, no help worrying when its not confirmed that there is something to worry about. Easier said than done, but try to envision those valves flowing freely and spring frolics through the garden.

Jules, loving the recipes! The chocolate puffs are a lot like a recipe I saw for Rocky road squares, just using miniature marshmallows instead of big ones. Ooohh, I think I even saw a recipe calling for doing something similar on top of a chocolate sheet cake. Chocolate goodies can never be too rich for me, LOL.

Hi Polly! Good to have ya join us! Enough of your "children" are living in the ORV for you to be an honorary ORVGer, LOL.

Chele, those head bands are adorable! Good job, they look so neat and perfect!

Joyce, that will be fine, whenever its convenient :-) Oh, and by the way, allrecipes.com is featuring Cookie recipes from around the world right now. The party sounds like great fun!

Kimberly, paypal is fine. My id is my email- gemini_sage@yahoo.com

Sue, did you receive your Curry powders? The scent will hit you in the face when you open your mailbox, then you'll bring the mail in drooling, LOL.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, and Marcy I also meant to say Congrats on tackling stairs! Way to go!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Neal!! Good to see you on here!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi, Everyone! Can't complain too much about the weather here...besides it wouldn't do any good if I did. LOL! Had a couple of days of 50's and sunny before the rain (several inches) came in. Past couple of days around 40 and cloudy, but dry.

We had a problem with the computer for a few days, but thanks to DH's persistance, he worked it out.

Lots of great news here and it's always a joy to hear of the accomplishments, successes and recoveries! ((((((Everyone)))))

George, I know this is worrisome for you, but you are in good hands under doctor's care. You have come a long way since the heart attack and whatever this might be, you'll get through it. Keeping a positive attitude goes a long way in overcoming any issues. (((The thoughts and prayers are coming far and wide from all of your friends to give you a big hug!)))

Love the recipes!

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello all!
Thank you all for all the T&P. Yesterday I was in shut down mode. It was a lot to take in. Of course I thought the worst. The thought of going through surgery again was more than my little brain could think of. It was a horrible recovery period. I was so freaked I couldn't even remember who did my surgery or my old cardiologist name was at the doctor's office. I finally took one of my "special" sleepy pills and went to sleep early. Well actually fell asleep on couch with a glass of ice water in my hand and it spilled in my lap! Talk about a wake up! LOL. Then went to bed proper in the bed and rested well.

This morning has been a different story. I have been on the phone with my old heart Doctor's and have all my medical records on the way here. He discharged me 2 years ago because I was doing so well. So after researching the internet and talking to my other Doctors. I think I have found the issue. I was put on a drug about 3 months ago. It could have some heart issues and weight and glucose problems associated with it. Well I have gained an average of 3 lbs a week since being on the drug. My glucose level is up and now heart stuff. So I am meeting with the other Doctor tomorrow at 9:45 am.

I also researched the term the Doctor was talking about yesterday(my brain went to mush when told there may be a problem yesterday) and The posterior branch of the bundle of His is exactly where I had my heart attack. I don't feel completely out of the woods, but think we are on the way. I have no angina and have never had to take a nitro since surgery. I think It's the weight and new pill thats causing the spike in BP. We can fix that! The worst it looks that may happen at this point is "maybe" a pace maker, but I don't think so.

Today I feel so much better. Listening to my new little finches singing and listening to music at the moment. Going to chill today and clean a little. Thank you all again for all the support!
HUGS!! all around!
George

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

George...I say good for you...taking charge!! I think ALL patients should be aware of their problems and research them if they can. I am not one to believe that doctors are gods. They are human beings just like the rest of us. And who knows what day they were absent from class???????? I actually had a nurse tell me that once! I told her something she did NOT know...and she said..oh..I must have been absent from class that day!!! Yeahhhhh...her and how many others???????? Before you all get offended, I am NOT knocking doctors and nurses...just saying ...they are human beings like the rest of us...and they have faults and weaknesses like we ALL do!!
Ok...enough out of me!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

((((George))))

((((Everyone Else))))

Hey George, it certainly sounds better today, thanks to the research that you did. I am sure that once the meds are reviewed, and adjusted, it will all be settled, but I know how news like that can rattle your brain.

To whomever asked, DGD does like to help me cook, but since she is going through the "chubby" stage, I have never encouraged her to eat candy and cookies, at any time of the year. I am not against her eating a bit at the holidays, but making it and having it here would be too much of a temptation. I don't eat sweets, or very little, and DH is not supposed to have them. So I will just live vicariously through cookies eating adventures!!

Today I managed to get all the gifts wrapped and under the tree. I need to dash out and get some tissue paper, for those things I will be putting in gift bags. Will do that first thing in the morning.

Darius, did you get an answer from Dave on the question of selling spices and herbs in the marketplace? I think that would be neat.

Well must head to the kitchen to start something for supper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.