Which Passionflower for Gulf Frits?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Which would be the best passionflower to get for the Gulf Frits in Central Florida. Is there one that's "tamer" then the others?
I know it can get out of control, so would plant in a large pot w/ a post up the middle so I can mow around it. Don't want it getting into my horse pastures.
I figured out I can pull the seed pods off the Milkweed and that should help keep that contained, but I have the same concerns about the passionflower.
Advice please??????????
mj

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have just the regular purple Passion flower that you can buy at walmart or home depot. I have those cats on it now. I have other passionflowers but they are inn pots because I don't trust them not to freeze. I don't know if those cats will eat any kind of passionflower but the definately eat these. I think it is PASSIFLORA X ALATOCAERULEA.

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

They go crazy for the native Louisiana passion vine. Cats keep it covered. It's also a common purple/white flower.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Will these cats eat any passion vine? I have some cats in the house that were started on my outside passion flower. Can I feed them the leases off the passion vines I have in the house where it is above freezing?

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

The native corky-stemmed passionflower, Passiflora suberosa, is an excellent butterfly attractant.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The only one they don't like I seem to remember someone saying was the red bloom ones.
In the house they will feed on what you give them even if it is different from the plant you got them from, they are not picky.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Has anyone grown P. suberosa in 8A or 8B? Some sources say they may get down to 15° outside without dying. Of course, I assume it would die to the ground in winter even if it survived (like my P. foetida var. gossypifolia often does).

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I grew the red passion vine last year, and cats loved it.

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a hypothesis on Gulf Frits' preferrences on which kind of Passionflower. They're like children from different part of the world, whose acquired tastes are entirely varied. For instance; I've the native passion flower vine, P. incarnata in my garden, I also have grown 'Lady Margaret' (red Passy), 'Lavender Lady' Passy, and a blue Passy called P. caerulea. I've not seen any cats. on any other passy that I raised in the garden but the old fashioned P. incarnata. Where as I've seen many gardener from Texas that sworn her/their G.Frits are crazy about their P. caerulea. Now, Martha has G.Frits that prefer her red passy. So that leave me the conclusion that they'll eat what's readily available, and develope the acquired taste.
Kim

This is/was my Amethyst 'Lavender Lady' Passy, which was hardy only 2 years in my zone in a protected corner of the garden. Last year I've looked for the flower, but I believe frost has gotten it on its 3rd year in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This one a friend gave me for my retirement last year. It smelled wonderful; it is 'incense'. If I lost it this winter, I will be so dissappointed. It has died back unlike my 'blue crown that is still green and growing.

edited (may pop didn't but will come back)

This message was edited Mar 15, 2009 9:43 AM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

My GF's use my P. incarnata, P. caerulea, P. foetida var. gossypifolia, Incense, P. lutea and P. affinis. P. incarnata, P. lutea and P. affinis are native. P. foetida is native to Mexico. Incense is a cross between P. incarnata and another species that I don't remember. Now, they do have their preferences. The P. affinis and P. lutea aren't used often...but, then again, I don't have much of either one.

Incense comes back for me every year! I'm just wondering why your maypop is still going. Mine goes dormant in winter and comes back every spring.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well now you have me wondering. This was sold to me as a May Pop a couple years ago. This picture was taken in January this year; after a couple freezes had already happened.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

P. incense is so attractive! My P. caerulea got submerged in the water for several days this winter, I hope it survives. I can't wait until our growing seasons resume. I missed my butterflies garden!

mj, being where you're. Your choices of passies are limitless. Good lucks.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the flower last September. There is Crossvine and Morning Glory on that fence also.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sheila, the pix you've above looks very much like Passy caerulea -- the blue hardy passy. Mine stays evergreen, though dorman somewhat (no new growth during the winter). Then when spring arrives-- their growth resume and take off like a bang wagon. No cats were found on them the past several years though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, that's it. Passy caerulea is the name. Linda, your vote please?

Yes, P. caerulea....I knew I've never had the Incense keep its foliage through winter!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No, the incense has died back. But I have two others. One I thought was 'Maypop' and the other 'Blue Crown'; both still thriving.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 6:18 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sheila, the commonly known 'Maypop' is also known as Passy incarnata -- our native Passy. Maypop dies back to the ground in my zone, and doesn't 'Pop' back out of the ground until May, so I assumed that is how they were nicknamed 'Maypop'? lol, I am just guessing. 'cause there were time I got impatient waiting for them to pop out of the ground while anticipating my butterflies G.Frits. ^_^

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Kim, I like the supposition you made about different tastes. I'll bet you are right.

My P. coccinea (Red Star Passion vine) is my only Passi, so I can't speak for cat preferences with only one kind in my garden. I have really wanted a P. incarnata, and I ordered three from Parks for spring shipping. They will be in 3-inch pots. Will they be large enough to vine up and make flowers the first year? I can't wait to get them.

Martha

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been looking at my pictures of the two vines and I think the two that are in different locations and green right now are the caerulea as you said. I do have the Maypop incarnata in the same spot but further down; but the only thing I see now is the caerulea passy.
Thanks to both of you for getting me straight on the two.
I still hope I didn't loose the Incense, I will have to buy another if so.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Sheila, I meant to tell you how exquisite your pic of "Incense" is.

Martha

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Martha; the smell was twice as bold!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

T & M seeds Co. carries/advertise for a P. coccinea. They sort of reminding me of my 'Lady Margaret' passy (this variety lived x2 years in my garden and was gone too). The pix looks so pretty. P. incarnata or the native Maypop is very resilence! Watch out! Once you plant them in the garden in our climate, they're there to stay and spread (underground). Not to mention their viable seedpods if eaten and spread about by birds and others critters in the garden. I think your seedlings passionflower vine will mature and flower within one season if the growing condition is favorable. Oh how I love all those passies! I meant I love their beautiful blooms and not some of their habits. I love my butterflies even more, so there! ^_^

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

My goodness, I did not know they were invasive. And I ordered THREE P. incarnatas!!!

Kim, I have another version of why the flower is called Maypop. When I was very young, my mom told me that in late summer when the fruit is ripe for eating apply pressure to open the fruit. This causes the fruit to "pop." I'll bet there are 101 tales about why the Maypop was so called!

Martha

mw..........I'd be happy to take one off your hands.......;-)
mj

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 7:27 AM

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 9:11 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

^_^ Martha, we're creating tales of the Maypops for the next gardening generation. ^_^

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok here is another. I had a ripe seed that was a dark yellow. When I went to pull it off the vine, I pressed it a bit hard I guess....and it made a loud pop as it burst open! It was dry and full of air on the inside.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

mj, P. incarnata in no way is one you'd like to tame. If I lived in warmer zones there are hybrid Passies that I would deffinately go after. For instance this 'Lavender Lady' boys! Don't I miss this beautiful vine in my garden. I assume they would do better where you're. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sheila, we need to get together, you and I and Martha to compile a list of tales on Maypops. lol.

Oh here is another passy that I'd love to see hardy in my zone, which it isn't. But for the 2-3 years they lasted. They were well worth it.

Passy 'Lady Margaret':

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I want it for the butterflies!!! They'll keep it in check.
I have the Lady Margaret.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ooooohhh... I like the Lady! I need to look for that one.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sheila, both 'ladies' survived winter x3 years in my garden, then they are but a memory now. I believe I've got them from one of the boxes stores in the spring. I'll be looking for them again, I'm certain of that.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Kim, Lady Margaret is GORGEOUS. So is Lavender Lady. Her stamens bloom so tall about the flower. She wants to be noticed, huh!!

Martha

I was in lowes today and they had passion vines on sale for 10.00 in a 3 gallon pot. course it didn't say what variety but the flower is purple.
When I asked the "plant expert" he told me it was in fact the kind the butterflies like to eat and I asked if he was sure cause there are different purple ones. So I get home and look up the "id' code on the tag and it's NOT incarnta. It's Passion x alto-caerulea. Will the Zebra Longwings and Gulf Frits use this one for a host plant?
errrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm taking it back if it's not.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I think so. I think I bought this one as "Blue Sky". The cats stripped mine down to nothing last year.

jlp222,
well i decided to keep it. we're starting to get bf's back I haven't seen any gulf frits or zebra's but YST, BST and sulphers so rest so be along shortly!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.