triple layer poly hoophouseand how to make it work!

Muncie, IN(Zone 5b)

If you already have a double layer inflated hoophouse and want to possibly save some money, I'd heard you could put a third layer of poly and another inflation fan on it. But no one had any details on exactly how to do it.
Well we originally put our first two layers of poly on with wiggle wire, and I thought you could just put the third layer on over the top of those layers, like I do with the shadecloth and just tack it on with another piece of wiggle wire and inflate it with another fan. So we put it on and turned the fan on and waited, and it never inflated. I thought we needed a bigger fan or we put the plastic on too tight, so we loosened it up some but that didn't help either.
Well, we figured out what was wrong. You have to take the wiggle wire off that holds the first two layers on, then add the third layer and attach all of it with the same wire at the same time. That pinches all the pieces together and makes them airtight enough that your inflation fans will work. But if you put that third one on separate like we did at first, the wire makes a gap and you can't put enough inflation fans to inflate it. The air leaks out on all the edges too fast. We even tried my hubby's air compressor just to see if we could get it inflated and no it didn't even work.
Thought any of you considering this might want to know how to do this since it seems to actually be helping some on the LP bill. We have a 20x20 that we overwinter banana plants and baskets for spring cuttings in and it has to be 55 degrees, so any savings should really add up in Jan and Feb.

Monticello, IA

Would you mind showing me a picture?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I hadn't heard about a triple layer.... I've been rather un-impressed with the double layer without going for a third!

I wonder if it's just because there's not a lot of mass in there yet? I sure hope, 'cause I'm pretty disappointed, so far.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.