Strobilanthes dyeriana

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Aka Persian shield.This is a new acquisition for me .Anyone else growing it &how has it performed for you?.Please share..

Thumbnail by brical1

It's very pretty Judy ...it is related to my goldfussia, does not like wet feet or cold but if it is like mine it is quite carefree. The new growth gives you the pretty colour so clip regularly, mine sulked through the cold wet winters but comes back ok when it is warm again.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

He, he, I have one and have totally ignored it. Its not very happy!
Maybe I'll take your advice Chrissy and give it a little clip.

Gisborne, New Zealand

A very pretty colour, is it related to the coleus. The leaf texture looks similar.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I grow it and it is not fussy. Once established it needs very little extra water, of course we have year round rain here in FL. Does best in part day sun, but, I don't give it much attention.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Merino, Australia

Brical, I bought a small plant a few weeks ago and it had a label that said it was Persian Shield , strobilanthes gossypinus. . It looks nothing like your Persian Shield. Is it the same family or just a similar name ?
I loved the leaves when I saw it. The label says it will grow to around 1 metre.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jean, see here> http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=strobilanthes+gossypinus&fr=vz-portal&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8 seems your plant is not only stunning, but, correctly labeled.

Zinnias that have nothing to do with the topic......

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is an interesting source for plants in AU http://www.greenhillspropagation.com.au/#

May be the source of your Strobilanthes gossypinus, they even list their retailers by state.

Another photo that has no relationship with the topic....

Merino, Australia

Thank you for the info Dale. Mine is living in the shadehouse at the moment. It is so pretty and unusual. .
Jean.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Holy cow, Gale is the second photo a "Crown of Thorns"? If so is it a X and with what? Mine only has a couple of small flowers in a bunch and perhaps a deeper red.
Your photos are not "Off topic". I think every thing is "On topic" as long as it has something to do with living.
Father Christmas has been here and I think gets to you later on.
Best Wishes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.