Chrysanthemum ?

Sydney, Australia

Hi all. Another ID. The nearest I can get to it is chrysanthemum 'Kathleen Olsen' (which is a double)
Any ideas?
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Gosh Steve, it looks like my old Shastas! What is the foliage like?

I thought Shasta daisy too. Hi Sue ...missed you ^_^

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

If its flowering round about this time of the year give or take a few weeks ...I'd go with Sue &Chrissy...Shasta Daisy

Thumbnail by brical1
Sydney, Australia

Hi all. Shasta Daisy it is. Brical1 - Photo showing flower and foliage is exact match and is flowering now. Time to do some reading on Shasta.
Thanks - Another question answered. (there will be more! stay tuned to this channel)
Cheers
Steve

Christchurch, New Zealand

I had them here & finally after many hard prunings, digging half out to attempt some control I sprayed mine with round up.
I did like the flowers but talk about snail heaven...
and it was pushing the garden edging out of shape.
In the right place it should be great but who ever planted it here was crazy!
Or had a very different vision of how the garden should look.
Now I am looking long and hard at some Japanese anemone that just won't stay where it was put...

Sydney, Australia

Geez Dalfyre,
The conditions must be spot on where you are if they are so vigorous! Round up is reserved for morning glory, onion weed, wandering dew, weed thing, other weed thing and anything that looks like a weed! Maybe the previous owners of this property had the right idea. The Shastas have been placed around the bases of the crepe myrtles. I'm guessing for support as they grow into the lower branches and maybe to keep them in check via competition. Mind you 12 months of observation does not make me any sort of expert! (your place isn't called Triffid Park is it? - marching shastas, anemone)
Cheers
Steve

lol - when I moved in this place was so overgrown my Mum couldn't believe I bought it...
But it was perfect for my dogs & they have 'helped' with gardening too.
They dug out a den behind a shrub that promptly died - luckily it was on my list to get rid of.
We had a few working bees here, I have filled 3, 6 metre skips with pruning...
plus all the stuff I hid by digging a trench & burying it & the assorted trailer loads that went off to the dump.
My hubby told me that I must get his written permission before pruning anything now.
As long as I clean up the mess he doesn't really mind.
I managed to eradicate the convovulus ... touch wood!
Helps that my neighbours are keen gardeners & we hit it both sides of the fence.
Mum's neighbours thought it was so pretty they cultivated it.

Sydney, Australia

Really? Is convolvulus a weed? Had it on my list of "like to plant"
3 x 6m skips? That's a massive amount of pruning. This is why I bought a mulcher.
I'm sure your convolvulus is the same as my morning glory problem,
Good thing weeding is supposed to be relaxing! The dog has not been to
the holiday house yet. Probably because she does not dig! Written permission not required here because I am the boss. (ain't typing grand! She can't hear me!)
Cheers
Steve

lol - there are different convovulus types, nasty viney spreading one that grows from the tiniest left over but of stem or root...
that is the demon weed that is hard to kill.
I think there are shrubby ones that are domesticated & don't turn into evil triffids.
Would you like a dog that digs?
I have two...
I wanted to hire Chita out as a plumbers apprentice.She has a knack for unearthing pipes.
And she can dig enormous holes.'
She hollowed out a den behind a shrub that was a good 4 ft deep & about the same wide.
Hubby once found her deep in a hole -- only her backside was above ground.
And that was in less than an hour of being outside.
If I could have trained her to dig in a straight line I could have made a fortune.

Sydney, Australia

Dalfrye,
Chita could have a job digging bores.
Ours goes down 6 metres. I'm sure by the sounds of it she would have done the job.
No sorry. Don't need digging dogs. Can't imagine a dog that would dig it's own size in an hour!
Your convolvulus problem is exactly same as my morning glory problem. Where a node hits the ground it takes root. Persist and you will achieve.
Steve

Gisborne, New Zealand

Steve Morning glory is the "restrained' form of convolvulous depending on how you feel at the time. The shastas can be a problem up here as well. They just take over and then are the devil to get rid of they are so tough.. Makes alovely show when in flower though...

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Lesley and Dalfyre, Steve and Brical,
I keep my shastas in check with the lawn mower! LOL
Also, I regularly cut the flowers for arrangements, which extends the flowering season and exhausts the growth so they die back a little each winter. I really haven't had a problem with them getting out of control, and in fact, spread them about a bit, as they are such a reliable bloomer.
Brical, I loved your oleander flowers over in the other thread. You were right, so pretty.
Morning glory here, is a problem also. I have a customer who has it growing through the fence from two neighbouring properties. I would like to cut and paint with glysophate, but it rains nearly every day, making herbicide application moot for the moment. I have noticed a white one along the highway. Does anyone know if it too is as weedy as the common purple?

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Your yard looks lovely Sue.

Sydney, Australia

Hi Sue,
If I were a Shasta I would not dare leave that garden. Thought you were joking about the mower until I looked at the pic. They are lovely. Not a problem at all in Sussex Inlet either.
Awchid if my morning glory is the restrained convolvulous then I will never doubt the toughness of a kiwi again. I know that there is another metre on the mg now because I have been away for a week.
Can't wait to get down there for round 792 of the fight! Actually thinking of starting a stink with the neighbours via the local council. It is a declared noxious weed in NSW and must be removed if it is on your property.
Steve

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi Steve here is a little tip that may help, get a flower flask from the florists, or several, they are quite cheap. Make a small hole in the lid
Put in some straight weed killer. Cut the running morning glory at a place that is likely to suck up the liquid and poke it through the hole until it is resting in the weedkiller. You will probably have to top up once or twice. If you use several flasks you will be attacking the pest from several directions.. This is good for killing off Ivy's and other vine type pests. I have managed to clear out several spots using this method.. and yes I still have more coming in from under the fence. The Ivy has gone though.. Give this a try.
Lesley..

Sydney, Australia

Great tip Lesley.
I'll give it a go. Sounds as though it would be a winner.
Could even hang the flask on the top of the fence for what comes over!
Steve

ha - I had ivy coming from next door so stood on a block & sprayed round up over the fence.
The house was vacant at the time - hubby reckoned I should have just gone up the drive & nuked their weeds as a neighbourly gesture...
I think what you call morning glory is convovulus...
I had friends that called it 'Grandma pop out of bed'...
if you squeeze the flower in the right spot it jumps off the stalk.

Sydney, Australia

Dalfyre,
Yep. Just wiki'd it. Same family so guessing same plant! Want to go next door to nuke the thing but i'm afraid I might get lost in the grass! Will try your tip but feel that unless it's fixed from the neighbouring property I might as well surrender. Time for an offensive! They don't live there. It is a neglected holiday shed so I reserve my right to be proactive! If I don't come back ... it's been nice talking to you.
Steve

Gisborne, New Zealand

I told you it was the same plant,, just depends how much you hate it at the time as to what you call it. It is quite hard to be savage at something called morning glory, but quite easy to savage a convolvulus and I think Chrissy said something about a white one.. They are just as bad .. and a kinda pinky one... All mongrels..

Careful Steve - long grass = snakes....
won't your local council do anything about it?
I remember years ago when we lived in Brisbane friends had neighbours that didn't believe in cutting the lawn.
The council wasn't having any of that - between rats, snakes & the fire hazard they had plenty of reason to lay down the law.

Sydney, Australia

Hi all.
The next step is the council. The internet is a wonderful thing and even before buying we were able to find out who is fighting with who via archived council meetings. Seems the place next door has been a blight for years. Without causing ww3 we will be stating our case. I am sure they will respond accordingly once they inspect it. When we first met the owners (it is a holiday house) they said "did you notice that someone broke into our house" I said "is that a house?" They laughed. I was serious.
Thought it was a shed of some sort. When we first met the couple across the road they said "what are you going to do about that?" pointing to the shed. In other words - please complain ... we have. It's a haven for critters with the bus, rusted box trailer, cement mixer, termite infested wood pile, rusted boat trailer, caravan, brick piles .... anyway I think you understand. It makes our place look really good.
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman

I love that house!
Always had a thing for older cottages/villas.
The first home I ever bought was an old cottage that had been 'modernised' in the 70's.
Every bit of character had been ripped out, unsympathetic extensions removed the verandah...
it was a real ugly old hovel.
Wish I could go back & renovate it my way, I know exactly what I would do to it.
Sadly my builder partner made it even worse...
he would get an idea & start ripping things out or building over cupboards...
but true to the cliche he never finished any of the things he started
we sold the cottage to a developer & went our separate ways.

Sydney, Australia

'tis a nice cottage. Built 1952. We have not needed to do anything major renovation wise. Talked about adding a room at the back then decided it was a holiday house after all. We really want to keep the feel and look of the place. Patched, painted, blinds, took up the carpet and had the floor boards polished. It's been 12 months and nearly done. Can't wait because the garden awaits renovation. The weed issue has been a big one but I think I have broken the cycle by removing flower heads and seeds whilst removing the larger weeds completely. The rest has been just tending what's there and gathering new material.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.