Fiberglass Greenhouse Material, New Generation UV Protected

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I am researching greenhouse options and am interested in anyone's opinion or experience with the new UV fiberglass resin greenhouses. I had one 23 years ago, and left it behind after only two years. I don't know how it aged, but have seen many older ones while driving around the countryside that have yellowed or browned with age. I have been looking at the twinwall polycarb material with an aluminum frame, but the polycarb always seems flimsy when I see it up close. I am back to considering a fiberglass one piece molded design and I understand that the new resin has a UV stabilizer in the mix. There is one company on the Washington coast, Solar Gem, that has on top of the UV resin a smooth hard UV gel coat. This sounds like a good durable material, however, there is that lingering wonder about the yellowing or darkening in future years. Is there anyone out there that has had one of these newer UV protected fiberglass houses for a number of years that can attest to the longevity of the material staying clear?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I hope to get pics up today, but I'm using a single wall poly, and it's not flimsy at all on a 20 x 40 house, and it only took 2 of us to get it tight. The biggest help was the use of wiggle wire for the roof covering. You can put that up on youtube, and check it out.

I had originally planned to use rigid panels, mainly for aesthetics, as the greenhouse is commercial in nature, but on our private property. I just couldn't justify the $3500 cost in comparison with the under $300 cost of the poly. This is the 6 mil 4 yr plastic, and if I even get 3 years out of it, I'll come out much better cost wise, including labor than the rigid panels that are rated for 15-20 years, but will only last about 10-12 in the Florida sun. Twenty year roof shingles, only last about 12 years here, to put it in perspective.

Chris

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you for your response Chris, I took a look at your Thread with the progress pictures. That is a really nice design, and I agree that for a greenhouse that big poly sheeting is the way to go. Your cost per year on the poly at say $100 per year is much better than the $3,600 polycarb divided by 12 years, or $300 per year. By framing , you made the roof look much better than the standard Hoop/Quanset rounded style of an average hoop house. The benches are really well designed in yours, and the drop down side windows are a great idea too. In my case I am looking at a much smaller size (8X12). That's why I was considering solid materials. That said, however, I'm thinking now maybe a smaller version of your style with the poly sheeting might be more cost effective for me too. The hard fiberglass units I was looking at are around $3,000 for an 8X12 size. I'd have to pencil out the materials to build a small one like yours, it sounds like I would be saving over the long run.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks. I had to take aesthetics into consideration, as it can be seen from out pool area.. While a bit more costlier than a hoop house, should we ever decide to sell this house. I don't feel it will be a "must come down" thought for any potential buyer. This will be my primary house as I get benches and such built for the rest of the area.

., Fully loaded, it came in well under half of some of the nicer kits,

Please feel free to borrow, and/or improve upon any part of the design. I picked and chose what I liked and disliked of many houses I came across, traveling throughout the industry.

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.