It snowed and it's cold and no one has BLANKET!!! (Yay!)

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

I would take some pics for you all, but it is hard to keep the camera warm. But I am so excited! Everyone is just peachy out there and no one is wearing blankets! Even Annie! Woohoo! You guys don't realize (well I am sure you do) just how liberating it is not to have to blanket.
So far Annie has only worn a wind/rain sheet when the wind is howling, and when it snowed (lots) the other night she was out wandering around in it- no shivering- no discomfort!! Everyone else is just in their winter woolies God gave them and everyone is fine! I have had Annie for 18 years, and I have NEVER been able to get her to grow enough hair to let her go without a blanket. She was born in Phoenix, and we spent her whole life there until summer before last. What would happen there is that it would stay in the 100's through October, then go down to the 70's and 80's in November. But every year, it seems, it would snap down into the 30's around TG, and she would be shivering and jumping up and down in her stall. Then I would have to break out her blanket- and from then on until spring that was it- she had a blanket on. When we were showing the first 10 years that was fine- blanket came out far earlier- but after she was retired from the ring I wanted her to be a horse and it never worked.
Last year here in Colorado was her first, as well as Faust's and both of them got blankets on starting in Sept. for Annie and October for Faust. Annie's big blanket is 450 gm weight and waterproof etc. She even has a neck protector too- last year there were days that horse was covered from the tips of her ears to the middle of her tail! Even Trouble wore a blanket for a while- she was pregnant with Athena and there were days she was really cold.
And of course all the joy of taking them off or changing the weights when it warmed up went along with that.....

But NOT THIS YEAR!! Yay! Everyone is a horse and everyone has hair!!! So much healthier for everyone and I don't have to worry if someone is getting overheated while I am gone for the day.

I know- it's the little things.

Kathy

This thread has 43 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!