Hello from the U.P.

Quinnesec, MI(Zone 4a)

I am new to this site and just wanted to say hello. I am from Iron Mountain Mi

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

howdy do. !!! And welcome .
My dahlia tubers are living in Iron Mt. this winter.
I'm already tired of winter, sheez, we still have a way to go, eh?

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi I have a girlfriend whom just got married and she was in ironwood now she moved to wisconsin....anywhere nearby you? :o)
Welcome to Daves, everyones very nice and if you need any know how on anything I'm sure you can find it here!!

Delane

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Oh my God! SOmeone who lives farther north than I do! Welcome!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi from mid Michigan (where it is warmer!)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi and welcome to the site!
glad to have you with us!

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

My mom grew up in Iron Mountain. We are west coasters now but I'll be watching this thread. I am carrying on the family traditions and growing rutabegas and making sauerkraut here in Oregon, LOL.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Welcome to this site. How is the snow up there? I spend the winter in Florida, but my daughter is in Bad Axe having a snow day, and hating every minute of it. LOL

I forgot to say that my mom still makes pasties!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh be still my heart....pasties!!!!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Pasties...oh my.....yummy....need a good way to make them...besides buy them...winter...I can not go up there....sorry that is a summer..place...smiles..Diana...

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Pasties,YUMMMMMM! Those are some of my favorite things to eat.

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

Well, I watch the weather channel every day and think of you people "up there" in Mich. Wish I could send you some warm weather. Been working in the yard today, pretty nice outside about 55, I'm guessing. Ok, stay warm untill spring.
We did have rain last week, about 3 in. It all soaked in. Usually when we get that much rain the river floods. But, we have not had rain for ages.
Blessings,
JoAnne

Thumbnail by jcoats123
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome tkujala to Dave's and to the Michigan forum. We're so glad you've joined. Tell us about your garden.

Brenda

Quinnesec, MI(Zone 4a)

I don't actually have a garden of my own. No Time. I have a small Landscaping business and spend all my time taking care of other people's gardens, and my mothers flower gardens.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome, nice to have ya!!!!

Cindy

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow the U.P. is a georgeous place!!! We went to the taq... falls a couple of summers ago. We love the U.P. Just peaceful and beautiful Welcome to the site. I would love to see some photos of your gardens you work on. New ideas are always welcome here. I do not think Ive ever been to Ironwood that I can think of....
Georgeous photo jcoats123! This is us right now!!! Will see the gound again in April maybe!!

Well have fun on the Michigan forum. Welcome again! Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome I'm late but a heart felt howdy non the less I love the U.P. we go to Curtis in the summer I don't think I'v ever crossed the bridge that it did not rain at least 1/2 the time I was there but I love it any ways;0)
Gloria

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Holy Wah, Gloria, keep crossing the bridge, we've been in a drought for the last two years.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I think I'll wait till this summer!! or I think you might get ice the last time I was there in the winter I never seen so much snow LOL ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have never been in the UP in the winter but have heard many stories.... I think I will stay here. We get enough snow for my likings.... Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well lets just say it was butt deep to a tall person and I'm 5-2 a real work out in the woods
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh no you weren't stuck there until spring were you?? LOL. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

NO thank God but I did a lot of praying to get back across the bridge deer season 1996 never again!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Any luck with the hunt?? That year?

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well no I was waist deep in snow but had a great time in deer camp around a big camp fire wink wink!!!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is one for you...it is utube.....Is this what it was like? my goodness...lol...take a look...

http://www.maniacworld.com/dog-having-a-blast-in-the-snow.html

smiles...Diana copy and paste it...it is worth it..lol...

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

That is so hilarious!!!! Loved it. I always forget about u-tube... Will have to check it out some more. Ronna

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Omgosh that was awesome!!...Now thats what winter is all about! ^_^

Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks for the laugh! Today's news had me feeling blue and I NEEDED that!

By the way, I've been going to Curtis for the past 40+ years. Just thinking about it cheers me too.

Anybody know any Petrowski family in the UP?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

hey ByndeweedBeth... What is the weather like for you in Oregan??? Are you up to your tushie in snow? We really don't have that much right now. Well Kristi_L sure hope your feeling better now. Sorry about the news you got. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Kristi-L where are you in Curtis? our friends have a place there you turn by the post office down by the lake love it there !!!
Gloria

Kalamazoo, MI

Gloria,
I've been down Strawe Road many times! Our family, including aunt, uncle, cousins, and grandparents rented cottages on the south lake for a few summers. When my grandfather retired my grandparents moved up there, just outside of town on the way into town on the south lake. When my aunt and uncle retired they move up about two miles past town on the big lake. My uncle is still there--at the ripe age of 88, so we go up to see him several times a year. He keeps busy with his flower garden, mowing the big lawn, taking care of the snow, and all of the wood he uses to heat his sorta big house. Our Saint Bernard LOVES it up there, especially in the winter. She eats the snow and loves to smell all of the wildlife scents. I sometimes dream of retiring up there, but I don't think my husband is too crazy about the idea. It's such a nice area--not fancy, but lots of family memories there.

Thanks, Ronna
Most of us in the Detroit area were feeling bad yesterday, but it sounds as though help may be on the way, so we're better. :-)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I see you all are auto workers huh? Sad, sure hope everything in uphill... Really scary times right now.

Kalamazoo, MI

We're not auto workers but many of our neighbors are. We just really feel for them.

Hello there UP folks. We just had a little bit of snow (you would laugh it how little) last night. Maybe less than 1 inch? It's really unusual for us to get snow, we are in the Willamette Valley. The gardening zone is 7-8 so we don't get too cold.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

hi tkujula
Hi welcome to the michigan gardening site. i like to hear about
the up and all that.
Sheri

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

ByndeweedBeth.... One inch???? Wow we got around five-seven inches on friday. Boy it snow and blew so hard. Then it rained in between.... Cold. But we were suppose to get up to 12' so I guess we are blessed that, that did not happen!!! It has been a very snowy winter already. Its not even winter yet. Last year we got so much snow!!! For days in a row it snowed and blew. Well thats winter in Michigan! Have a great weekend. Ronna ( nice to hear from the oregon part of the US!) I did not relize that you has such a warm climate.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

11in here yesterday and drifting up to 4-5 foot!
winter is here!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.