December - the end of the 2008 orchid season

Jacksonville, FL

ok..it helps to attach a picture if I want people to see it.

Thumbnail by chubbydoll
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ohhhh, I love those nice Cymbidiums!!!
And Ludisias are such pretty Christmas blooms, aren't they?

Kathy, doesn't the Tuberolabium smell delicious?? I love it!!

My Bc Princess Teresa 'Princess Michiko' is almost done opening 6 spikes this season. The scent is beautiful spicy floral - very pretty!!!
The flowers are large and floofy.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And more of Princess Michiko

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ascocentrum christensonianum took its sweet time to open -
This one doesn't grow large, the whole plant measures less than a foot, and it spikes several times a year.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a sufficiently weird one, I love the way the spots on this little shoe sparkle in the sun.
Zootrophion serpens

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looking at the plant straight on, you can't see the blooms at all. But there are several "slippers" hidden amongst the foliage.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pleurothallis alata
Putting it into proper perspective, the whole pot measures 1.5 inches!!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The teensy flowers are tough to photograph for me.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

attempt of a sideway view -

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And Restrepia cuprea - this Restrepia has slightly larger flowers than my other Restrepias.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Showing this little bug from the side

Thumbnail by RUK
Jacksonville, FL

RUK....I LOVE the alata, so tiny. I must get one! And the zootrophion..is amazing!! It reminds me of all the nepthens I love!!!

Yes the cym are fabulous. I got them at Publix ( a grocery store chain here in the south) of all places. I am sure I probably paid too much for them but I have never seen any available to me locally so I nabbed my favorite 2 there. THey had a green one( which I covet also), some white ones and a few lavender ones. they also had a dusty pink one that had pink spots on the lip instead of red like the rest. At $30 a piece 2 was my limit, especially with x-mas almost here. Maybe Santa will bring me the green one!!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Ursula, for some reason, the zootrophion reminds me of Audry II from 'Little Shop of Horrors". My word, Lady, you must have a Gazillion plants with all your posts. Very jealous here.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Ursula has such great ones. I never get tired of seeing them over and over. Love the Zootrophion serpens-like a spotted wooden shoe.

The Tuberolabium has only one flower open and the scent is already heavenly!!

Catt. minerva today-all 4 flowers have opened.

Thumbnail by boojum
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

My what lovelies you all have there. I love that Princess Michiko. Do you do anything special to get so many blooms at the same time. Mine mostly come up in sequence.

Fred

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Boo, RUK, congrats. on the flowering of all. Ursula, have thought of growing Restrepia. Any different than Catts? Boo, the Minerva is gorgeous. Has it a scent? Lee

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks.
Fred, the first spike of the Princess Michiko was open about 2 weeks ago, but I waited to take a picture until the others had pretty much caught up. Works ok with Cattleyas most of the time, since the flowers are usually long lasting.

Lee, my Restrepias seem to be happy in dappled sunshine/less sun than Cattleyas. I have them in CHC mix from Kelley's corner and give them a daily rain shower. I do not find them difficult at all. I like these cute little wiggly bugs.

Kathy, I love the Minerva!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

RUK, don't they so look like roaches in a way. lol.. Lee

Now Lee did ya hafta put roaches in my ole brain???
BTW, no scent on Minerva but lots of scent from the Tube (almonds) and the Eria (lemons). No wonder I can't stop eating! Minerva starts out with lots of color and fades over time.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Oh Boo, so sorry but I meant it in the nicest possible way. LOL I had seen them in 'Floras Orchids' and have been fascinated by them. Ursula, without knowing it, has planted a thought. Lee

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Ursula, that Catt is stunning!

We actually had a glimpse of sun today. Hit 63 F yesterday! Only 36 F today but suppose to reach 50 F again tomorrow. Crazy weather for us.

Congrats on the sun-we have none today!

Okay, I need help!! I'm constantly killing my fancy jewel orchids. Today Macodes lowii and Dossinia mamorata var. dayii are looking ill in their sphagnum (@$#^&R&^*_ ). What does anyone suggest for medium? I thought of a cymbidium mix (a touch of sphagnum, coconut coir, perlite, and small rocks. Any thoughts?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

My one jewel is thriving in a combo AV soil and bark mix--it was an experiment

I have my Ludisia Discolor in potting soil, I don't water it often. It bloomrd beautifully last year.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My LC Irene's Song X Mari's Song X Irene Finney has put on yet another bloom. I wonder why they didn't give poor Ms. Finney a song?

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Jacksonville, FL

my Ludisia is also in potting soil...but inside a terraium, with my potted paphs and a small potted nepethens pitcher plant.

I water maybe one every 7-10 days depending on the dryness of the soil.

These two jewel orchids are a lot fussier than my Ludisia discolor.
Jim, I think you should just add song in parentheses! What a beauty!

I am very excited because I finally have a spike on one of the many cymbidiums.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Boo-are cymbidiums difficult to grow up here? I see the small ones for sale in Logees catalogue and have been considering getting one

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

chubbydoll, you have acquired a couple of nice cymbidiums.

Ursula,another great display, the Restrepia is great.

Lovely colors and shading in your LC Jim.

Hi Ken! I don't have any trouble growing cymbidiums-just getting them to spike!!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Jim, it's been a long time since I've seen such beautiful colors on a Lc. Congrats. Does is have a fragrance? Lee
Hello Boo and you, too, RUK when you come on line. Lee

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Stunning Catt Jim!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Spikes on a non-warmth-tolerant Cymbidium? I would be ecstatified!! :-)

Jim, the Irene Finney x is a beauty, gorgeous picture too!

My Bc Princess Teresa 'Princess Michiko' is now fully open, here is another pic - 6 spikes! The paler bloom in front opened last. Did I mention that I love that plant?

Thumbnail by RUK
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Phoebe, I think Cymbidiums would be easier for you to grow than me. They are one of two species that survived a freeze when I lost a large collection. They give so many flowers compared to plant size and can really be managed like indoor/outdoor plants. Try to grow them. There are a lot of new minis out now (and I don't know their cultural requirements). I have Fairy Rouge "Lavender Falls" and Leodogren "Craddlemont". I'm not sure all my quotations are in the right place, but both plants have been in my possession for over twenty years, That must say something about their sturdiness.
Laurel

Phoebe, I would think Cymbidiums would be easier for you to grow than me. They are one of two species that survived a freeze when I lost a large collection. They give so many flowers compared to plant size and can really be managed like indoor/outdoor plants. Try to grow them. There are a lot of new minis out now (and I don't know their cultural requirements). I curreently have Fairy Rouge "Lavender Falls" and Leodogren "Craddlemont". I'm not sure all my quotations are in the right place, but both plants have been in my possesion for over twenty years, That must say something about there sturdiness.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Ouch, pressed twice after editing.

Which one is that, Laurel? It looks like a mini, yes?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice! Also, I just found a great website(vendor's)that show's the different types of orchids, and their specific culture needs--really helpful for this novice.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Jim,
almost unreal colors.

Fred

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Ursula, I certainly see why you love the Bc. Princess Teresa. Stunningly beautiful!!! Laurel, the cymb. is a beautiful color and I really need to get over my reluctance of growing them and AT LEAST give them a try.
Now Kathy, where are your most recent pics. I know you have oodles in bloom.
Take care all. Lee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.