December - the end of the 2008 orchid season

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Blc Ellen Kobayashi is now fully open. The flowers are huge.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

my preference is always lavender or green
Here is Blc. Young Kong 'Sun #16' HCC/AOS making an appearance. Just testing the new world on a first bloom.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

and of course dressy is now fully awake

Thumbnail by fredrump
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Janet - sorry your Epi I sent didn't make it. If it is any consolation, I killed the first one I got also. I bought it from the annual orchid show here about 10 yrs ago and also put it in too much shade, not realizing that it was somewhat of a sun-lover. I've mailed plants to Canada (and received plants from eBay purchases). It just involves filling out a Customs Form. If you declare on the form exactly what plant you are sending and include the info that it is bare root (no soil or orchid planting medium), it should go through without the need for a quarantine.

Jeremy

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fred, they are all simply gorgeous. I can see why the green with contrasting lips is very attractive. And I am certainly partial to the beautiful pink, I am very much reminded of my Bc Princess Teresa.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Great show, Fred. I especially like Blc. Young Kong 'Sun #16' . I used to be the only lavender/green lover here. I'm glad to have company! One of the reasons I got this cym. I also like any very blue toned pinks (like Blc Ellen Kobayashi) and also peach-salmon colors, too.

Thumbnail by boojum

Fred - Your Green Veil 'Dressy' has the truest emerald green that I've ever seen in any flower. Really beautiful!

Jeremy

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I guess one has to give a lot of credit to the hybridizers who created these beautiful colors. Still, they are part of nature in mixed breed fashion.

I'm just fascinated by my giant Blc Ellen Kobayashi. I had to take a better shot with a dark background to bring the colors out and save for my picture collection. Maybe I can get more flowers at the same time the next time this plant blooms. Right now it's only two but maybe that's why they are so big. The plant itself is quite humongous. The earlier sheaths didn't make it into flowering. I still think it's lack of enough light.

So that's my New Year's resolution - provide a place with more light for my orchids. We'll see how long that takes.

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Jeremy,
the dressy is more green in the picture then in reality. The picture has more dark green. When I look at the flower in the light aginst the sun the green is lighter with a touch of yellow but it still is a very beautiful orchid.

Fred

PS OK I'm off to meet with Dutchlady and hubby for lunch and take some phals from them into adoptive care. My phals seem to have found the perfect place in my sunroom. Lots of light but filtered via screen and e-type double glass. I think that keeps harmful rays out of the way.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Jeremy. Joy, I will D-mail you

Hey!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!

Thumbnail by boojum
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Kathy and a Happy New Year to all of my friends at Dave's.

Jim

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Best Wishes for a Healthy and Happy Year from Ursula to all my friends here too.

Thumbnail by RUK

Ursula did you mean from you or from Ursula the phaius???

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

From both! :-) Good eye, Kathy!!

Phaiocalanthe Kryptonite 'Ursula' is starting to open this week.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

OK folks, let's close this chapter and head off toward 2009 at:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938519/

Hmmm. That slash in front needs to go. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938519/

Happy New Year to all! Here's a clickable link to the new thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938519/

Jeremy

Boojum - great minds think alike, I guess. LOL I was typing at the same time you were.

Jeremy

Just a bunch of helpful orchid folks!!

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Jeremy,
If you are up for it, maybe we can do a trade of some type in the spring. I know it is hard for you to mail plants, and I tried everything with that one, and hated to see it finally bite the dust. No big deal, if not.
Janet

NabetOS, I will send you something approximating a bushel basket of my (as yet, no positive I.D.) orange Epidendrum. LOL I now know a lot more about growing it myself and can provide more specific instructions for its care. It does seem impossible for me to ever settle down long enough to box plants and mail them. If I have spare moments, I wander out to my garden and the moments become hours and days and I get so ethereal that I often levitate to other dimensions. LOL At one time, I had made a deal with a local DGer to be my "surrogate mailer" in exchange for her to have open access to cuttings or divisions from any plant in my botanical collection. (I think she got the short end of that deal as I gladly give away any plants that are available with no reciprocation required.) I did begin to catch up on some of the hundred or so (I'm not kidding) unfulfilled plant promises. They are all plants for postage (except one, that did leave me bad feedback for my negligence in mailing trade plants), so my guilt and shame is lessened by the lack of quid pro quo in the plant deals. I generally start plants to root with the best of intentions at the time I promise a plant, but then the plant reaches a mature enough stage to be sent out for adoption and they sit for months/years in dejection, ever reminding me of what a deadbeat plant trader I truly am.

My current scheme is to invite the local DGer's over for a "Boxing Day" (but not when the Canadians celebrate it) where I will have all the plants lined up with boxes to match the size of the plant and the label information available for the intended recipient, provide some tea and cookies, and allow all that attend to have the opportunity of a short course with hands-on experience to learn the fine art of mailing plants. LOL I hope that will relieve me somewhat of this onerous burden of disgrace that I harbor each time I see one of the unmailed plants pitifully awaiting a new home.

Jeremy

Jeremy, we all have our cross to bear. How delightful to get to know your fun flaws. We are all guilty of plant crimes. At least you keep them alive (hint, hint).

Jacksonville, FL

I can vouch for JEremy's generosity. Everytime I leave his house it seems I have a trunk full!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.