December Blooms

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Got a few things blooming this morning........actually took the pictures last night and didn't get a chance to post them.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Sinningia 'Flair' - Thanks Raingazer, I love it!!!

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

AV Frosted Flames

Ooops! that's not my picture......wrong file.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2008 5:22 AM

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Buckeye Cranberry Sparkler

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Little Chatterbox

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Heaven's Reflection

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Leading Lady

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Russian AV - Ozornye Volki

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

That's all for now.....gotta get ready to go to a meeting this morning.

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

real beauties there.
mrsbonnie

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

OMG av_ocd_girl You look like you have as many bloomming as gail she always has so many they all look great mine has lost there lust
I have to work on them and get them back up to par with the work I am so trierd that I only have time to sleep and work I have lost so much weight from work I look like one of the kid from Africa with my bone showing But I will be making all kinds of sweets so maybe I will get fat
The only think that is bloomming is my Thanksgiving cactus or if its christmass its early
Take care and will talk with you guys latter
Hugs
Dimmer(AKA) Kim

(Zone 1)

Wow, Rox ... you've got some real beauties! I can see myself easily getting the AV bug again! LOVE the one called 'Heaven's Reflection' ... so pretty. What is the name of that beautiful Strep in your first photo?

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't believe it's December already....

What is the first photo, av_ocd_girl? the strep....all are lovely as always and a pleasure to see. Cranberry Sparkler is my favorite Buckeye.

Thumbnail by GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

We were both asking the same question at the same time, Lin ^_^.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm liking the looks of this baby Glitter Fountain (trailer)..

(Zone 1)

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a variegated AV so pretty! I'm wondering what the blooms look like on that one but who needs blooms with such gorgeous foliage!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Lin :0)

Glitter Fountain (I. Fredette) Semidouble pink/some red fantasy, red sparkle edge. Variegated dark green, cream and pink. Standard trailer

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

is'ent that a begonia?I have never seen a av that looks like that. lol
bonnie

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes it is..it's a tag along with the post ^_^

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Those are pretty blooms, av_ocd_girl!

I've got 9 leaf cups with babies coming up, all stuck in October - Nyaka Trail, Itsuko, Knight Magic, Alan's Fallen Angel, Cambridge Missy, Silly Girl, Little Chippery Trail, Blueberry Mint, and Alamo Frills. It will probably be another month before they will be separable . . .

I've still got 3 leaf cups stuck in August/September that haven't sent babies up yet . . . got good roots, though . . .

Williston, ND

The strep looks like remembering john,it was named after david thompsons late brother
David is a pretty neat guy if you ever get a chance to meet him at a show

JIM

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

You're right Jim, it is 'Remembering John'. I must have been half asleep this morning. I was lucky enough to have met David and his Sister at the 2005 National. They are both really nice people.

I can't believe I forgot to post the name of that strep......then I posted the wrong picture for Frosted Flames. I had to get up WAY too early to go to an AV meeting and Christmas party today. 1 1/2 hr. drive. I just got back about an hour ago.

Of course I had to make the rounds to all the important stores.............Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, and Lowe's. Got a variegated purple optimara from Lowe's.......I figure there aren't that many Optimara Variegates and I should be able to ID it from first class. They also had a $1 rack. I couldn't believe it.....I got a Bromeliad, Birdsnest fern, Cimbidium orchid, and two Agaves in nice pots all for $5. Just one of the pots is worth that, so all in all it was a good plant day.

Lin, I've got some Heaven's reflection babies.....if we get a warm up I'll send some AVs down south to ya! We need more AV addicts on this forum. LOL

Gold, I LOVE that trailer......gotta add that to my infinite must have list. LOL

Syrumani, we'll have to do a trade in the spring. I've got about 40 different leaves down right now and some babies I've already potted up. When my friends heard I was starting over in AVs they all sent me a 'care package' full of leaves.
If your AV leaves are slow to send up babies, could be many causes.......old leaf, planted too deep, or the leaf itself is trying to grow. Try cutting the top 1/2 of the leaf off. It might help.....worth a try. Some violets just seem to take forever no matter what you do.

Here's an old picture of Heaven's Reflection when I had it years ago. Mine's just a baby now.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I might hate these people like Roxanne who can really really grow african violets..........I can't.

I recognized Remembering John as that is my favorite strep (one of my faves)

Two new pics today.
Neil's Lady Charm has her first blooms

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Wild Irish Rose has not stopped blooming for a long time and she is not a big plant.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Oh my goodness ... Rox, that is Stunning!

I was looking through some old pictures earlier today and it made me want to try AV's again! Maybe in the spring I will take the plunge! I keep saying I need to de-clutter! I've been working on it (in my brain anyway!) for over a year now, LOL and haven't gotten very far! When I do get de-cluttered I will have to make myself keep things neat and force myself not to go overboard and try cramming so many plants on the shelves! I really think I can do it ... I think I can, I think I can! ^_^ I just need to make a list of a couple of standards, a couple of trailers etc. and stick to only a couple of each, LOL!

This photo is of one of my stands a year and a half ago:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I have several leaves of Glitter Fountain down as well as dozens of other violet leaves. So, av_ocd_girl...count on some. I have already planned on forceing Lin into adopting a few violets in the spring come heck or high water.
That is so true about cutting the tops of violet leaves especially standards when putting down to root. Some of the ones I didn't cut have grown enormous and are pushing their way out of the prop box and no babies. They are going to be trimmed tomorrow. Some just went ahead and produced plantlets.
Get those shelves ready, Lin!

(Zone 1)

LOL GoldLeaf! I'm gonna try my best!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love this conversation between Goldleaf and Lin! Lin, those avs were beautiful on your stand. You go for it again!
Love
gail

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Keep on her, Gail. Two against one...we'll win.

av_ocd_girl..maybe your new bargain Optimara violet is this one...

Optimara Modesty

(Holtkamp) 12/14/1995 (8328) Single dark blue frilled. Variegated green, cream and variable pink, heart-shaped, hairy, wavy, serrated foliage with red back. Standard

What good deals you got!

(Zone 1)

LOL you two! If I ever do get de-cluttered and decide where I want my plant stands to be located I "might" add a couple of AV's! I just need to get motivated and start spring cleaning, LOL!

Optimara 'Modesty' at the Optimara website: http://www.optimara.com/optimarafieldguide/varietiesm-z/modesty.html

At the AVSA website: http://www.avsa.org/Photographs/OptimaraModestyLrg.jpg#http://../Photographs/OptimaraModestyLrg.jpg%23

Photo in PFP: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/143720/

Williston, ND

plantlady the great bigoldbuck says you must get violets.lol hey if i have to grow a few
so does everyone else LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't have a single one, Jim...........but I am feeling pretty lousy about it............I do have a few leaves down so I may end up with a violet or two.............

A memory from a year ago as Lin says.............
Newtown Shared Venture

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

some minis

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

more minis............
Lin...........we may have to succumb to pressure!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I've waited a long time for this one, grown from a leaf - Optimara Little Diamond.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Rob's Cherry Soda . . . wonder how this close-up will look enlarged?

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh, and Rob's Fuzzy Navel . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, Syrumani, and so neat you grew from a leaf to blooming plant!

Gail, you are so full of it when you say you can't grow violets. Look at those pictures. I'd take some of those minis in a heartbeat.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

AMEN!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That was last year............maybe I will try again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.