Trading advice please

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hello,
I offered my Clematis tangutica seeds at the trading forum, and I received so many requests, I really need to make this right! I have never traded clematis seeds before, and would like to learn what is considered a fair amount to send? If anyone has pictures to illustrate a fair, generous trade for me that would help even more...
Thanks!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Usually you ask the person you are trading with..for some want seed for seed..say for instance your trader sends 5 seeds of theirs for 5 of yours...I had one lady on here that I traded with that said she wanted 25 seeds ...so it can vary...I've always considered 5-10 to be plenty...Jeanne

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Jeanne...
I had a person ask me for 100 seeds!
Do clematis seeds all look alike? Because mine are so tiny, I find it difficult to even count them....unless I am mistaken?
Does anybody pleeeaase have any pictures of tangutica seeds? I don't want to make a fool of myself by sending the wrong stuff! : 0 !

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just be upfront about what you have, especially if you end up putting fewer than, say, 20 seeds per packet in order to be able to meet all requests. With perennials, especially, you shouldn't need to send loads of seed. Maybe the person asking for 100 seeds had a fence s/he was trying to cover... but if so, it would be appropriate for them to trade an similar amount of something you wanted, or perhaps to trade several kinds of seed in return.

I don't worry a lot about trying to make trades "equal," because it all seems to work out anyway... but I do want to be sure the other person is happy with what I'm sending, and if I don't think I can satisfy them, then I bow out of the trade. Some people are just harder to please than others.

The seeds should be brown, somewhat flattened things at the ends of the fluffy bits of the clematis seed heads.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Absolutely,
I'm always generous with my seeds but when I got a request for 100-150 seeds I thought perhaps I had been sending the wrong quantities!

Also, does anybody know if species seeds are supposed to be smaller than large flower hybrids? The few photos I was able to find didn't show tanguticas specifically, but the seeds were all larger than the ones I have...

Thanks again.
Roberta

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure... do we have a clematis forum? That might be a place to check about the seeds.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh golly, I am *in* the clematis forum! Found my way here through the "recent posts" list, LOL.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

lol, aren't we in the clematis forum?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

LOL!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Duh...LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just clicked on the thread title from my home page and honestly didn't realize where I was until I hit "send" and saw "return to Clematis forum" as one of my options.

So, we are among experts... somebody help with the seed question!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

yeah, somebody.....heeeelp! : )

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

For easy-to-find common seeds, usually 25 is the standard number that are traded, unless stipulated. I've traded for a little as 3 seeds, since they were hard-to-find or rare. Large seeds are usually traded between 12-15. Small seeds are usually traded at 25. If you only have 12 seeds to trade, then that is what you state. Have I confused you enough yet?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You might consider a new thread for help in identifying the seeds or checking about their size... a new subject line would help catch some eyes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.