CLOSED: Looking for cotton seed

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Would love to have some Erlene's Green or the brown or tan colored cotton to grow. You would think that living in Alabama cotton seed would be easy to come by but it isn't.

My grand-daughter is a budding gardener at 2 years old and this would be interesting for her to watch grow.

If anyone has any, just see my trade list and let me know if you are interested in trading.

http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?list=have&member=bamagirl35973

Thanks,
Wanda

This message was edited Nov 30, 2008 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wanda -

i recently snatched a bunch of seed for purple cotton a guy hereabouts was growing for its decorativeness . . . lovely blossoms and doggoned if i did not snap a pic of them while they had blooms so i do not have an example to share with you. if you are interested nonetheless i'd be glad to do a trade with you for Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum).

just lemme know. ATBTY ! ~ ŁazŁo

Thumbnail by LazLo
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

There was a thread about this last year. The problem is cotton is regulated in places where it's grown commerically. Might have been on the SC forum. Let's see if I can find it.

The end result is you probably won't get into any trouble but people simply don't sell cotton seeds unless you're in the business.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

That sounds great LazLo, I would love some of the purple cotton! I will get your Crimson Clover seed in the mail to you tomorrow.

CoreHHI, I figure that there was some kind of regulation here because our seed coop could not sell any to me. I stopped at a few other seed stores around and they couldn't or wouldn't sell any either.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wanda - they will be tossed into the wind for you tomorrow morning! ~ Łaz

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wanda:

here is a link that may be useful for your quest => http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/54243/

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow last i looked they had three colors. wow purple my favorite color. you would think all of us this way would have cotton seeds available but even here in Sc we dont.

been wanting pink for years but all we have is white growing and just aint ventured out into cotton fields yet for any of that yet myself. which would be easy as they leave alot un picked now a days.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

My daughter recently brought home some cotton from the playground at school. I thought I'd plant the seeds for her, and emailed the science teacher to find out what kind it was, as it had obviously come from their gardens.

She, very politely, asked me not to plant it unless I registered with Clemson Univ. (and paid a $40 fee). They then come out and put a boll weevil trap in your crop, and monitor it. If they are found, the crop can then be destroyed. They are very seriously trying to keep boll weevils from getting back into SC.

An interesting learning experience. I wonder if neighboring states have the same restrictions?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

We do here. That why you can't get cotton seed in Al. Took them forever to try and eradicate the boll weevil, here to but cotton also gets lots of fungal diseases that can spread to your other plants.

If ya want somethign for her to grow, I have some sunflower seeds , have some minature tomatoes and while I don't have any more left right now, there is a little minature pea plant that just kids size. Makes the pea flowers and then makes little peas about 2" long for kids to pick and eat.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks starlight1153 for the info. I did call our extension office here in Cherokee county and they said that I could grow a small amount of ornamental cotton but that I would have to call and let them know. He didn't know if there would be a fee but if there is it would be very small. I think that they charge 2 or 3 dollars an acre for farmers.

Thanks on the offer for the other seeds, that is very kind of you but I have other seeds to grow for her. I just wanted her to watch the cotton grow and see the end results. Since I have talked to the county extension office, I will feel better about growing it. I sure didn't want to grow something that I wasn't supposed to.

I'll let ya'll know the outcome of my cotton growing experience later on next year.:>)
Wanda

Mesilla Park, NM

The cotton fields here don't get completely harvested and the wind blows cotton all over the place. This year I had a cotton plant grow on it's own and it is blooming now. I heard about the weevils, or is it Evils..lol.

I've not seen any other color than the white.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.