Red MTB w/ gold beard in need of name.

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

I have seen this in several gardens, and on iris sale sites, as the MTB 'Thats Red', but then it should have a red beard - sure looks gold to me!
AIS description: Deep red; beards red.
Does anyone recognize this?
hespiris

Thumbnail by hespiris
South Hamilton, MA

Try 'Cheese and wine'.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Sorry no help here but its nice.

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank you both.

I agree, irisMA, it may be Cheese And Wine. I took this picture at Presby, and it is similar to the one from 'sugarbean' in the Plant Files. I have CAW in my garden, and I will try to note if it develops that ruffle on the falls.

South Hamilton, MA

There are only a few red self MTBs as yet. Note:Cheese & Wine is a diploid & 'That's Red' is a tet.

South Hamilton, MA

I did a little catalog checking: Red Vision (fisher) has a gold beard. You might check it against your Cheese & Wine next spring. since the ABs are by the same hybridizer, the MTBs might also be 'twins' (red vision & that's red). Your source might have had plants by the same hybridizer grow too close to each other.

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the input. With so many existing diploid MTBs, maybe the Dip./Tet. note should be in the new regitration data, like they do for daylilies. It seems we are in the midst of it changing in this class. Being fond of my oldest historics, I hope new diploid MTBs don't get 'bred-out' of existance.

I'll just have to buy all the red MTBs out there...
like I need an excuse to get more! LOL

South Hamilton, MA

Plenty of people work with the diploids, especially Chuck Bushnell & Stephanie Markham. Many of Ken Fisher's plants are mixed chromosome. DH & I also have a few diploid MTBs registered. I use the tets for BB work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.