Left Overs

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is what I have done in the past with left overs.
I have a "Leftover pot luck "dinner.
It is strictly informal and every one who has them, brings their leftovers.
Those who dont have any come anyway and we clean up everything.
It's a great way to have friends in who didn't come to Turkey Day.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That sounds like fun, JoAnn. Hey, who is the handsome fella in the picture?

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I scanned this card I got when I turned 70.
He looks pretty left over dont you think?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great idea

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Yup!

Definetly not my type of guy!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Well, everyone can sure come to my house! We have so many leftovers that we will be growing feathers by the end of the week!!

Love the scan, Jo Ann.

Actually, in all honesty, I have to freeze some of the Thanksgiving goodies in order to make a delicious turkey casserole later in the month.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That sounds good. I like turkey Tetrazinni

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

"Love the scan, JoAnn."

LOL! Candyce, you're a poet and didn't know it (or maybe you did!).

Karen

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I made a turkey casserole last night, but I don't like heated up left over turkey. The taste seems to change. I much prefer cold turkey sandwiches. Anyone else notice this?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree, and I dont like leftover chicken either .
The taste is foul lol

State of..., MA(Zone 6a)

We have finished with all the gravy and side dishes and all that is left is a lot of turkey. Turkey casa dias and pasta with broccoli, garlic, oil, grated cheese, tomatoes and turkey, are the two meals we have made with it so far. Tonight we are finally having lamb chops! [g]

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks- - that reminds me to take hamburger out of the freezer

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I, too, don't like turkey heated up unless it's in a casserole. I didn't buy a bigenough one for leftovers this year. WHAT WAS I THINKIN?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You were probably thinkin you wouldnt have to disguise the funny tastin left over turkey another year.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree with you guys. Leftover heated turkey is just not as good a fresh. Too bad it can't taste that good all the time! I do like it cold in sandwiches, though. I 'm gonna make a turkey soup. I often do that with chicken, too. Maybe I have enough for a casserole, too, or maybe a pot pie. Hmmmm...... Sounds good to me!

Karen

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am just starting to make soup from a carcass of the smoked turkey my DH made today. I have some root veggies (sweet potato, turnips, carrots, parsnips) that we had extra of but, didn't cook along with some onions that I dug from the garden yesterday and garlic and herbs that I am oven roasting today. I will puree the stock and the roasted vegetables to freeze for a velvety lush smokey soup for later in the winter. Nothing makes me happier than left overs. I will freeze the last of the turkey meat separately which I love to add to our homemade tomato sauce and serve over pasta. That smoky taste from the turkey is also great in chili. I just read how to do home made smoked chilies in the coop forum in a prospective pepper seed coop. Worth a look. Great collection of seeds. Patti

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I ate all my leftovers. :( I will take donations. :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Soup is done and it is yummy. I am freezing it in batches for later in the winter. I made a smoked turkey salad tonight with apples, dried cherries, and chutney with curried mayo dressing. I do love left overs, especial turkey. AYankeeCat, but I don't think it would mail well. Sorry. Patti

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The person in the photo at the top of this thread looks like he has centuries of ancient wisdom to share. I look at that wise face and think, "I could learn a lot from him". If he is a leftover, I'd be honored to take him home.
Laurel

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Laurel.
To me he looks like someone who has lost touch with the times and his image.
When I was younger and really hot. They would hit on me thinking because I drove a full size van I was a bar fly of some sort and looking for a lusty old geezer.
NOW , befor any of you lady vad drivers get on my back remember that is MY experience and not intended to insult anyone.
ODDD how thirty years later and a Honda CRV changes things.
I wonder howwwwwwww? lol

This message was edited Dec 4, 2008 5:48 AM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I drive an aging green honda crv. I am now almost officially old too. 13 months to 65. Don't feel it yet in my mind, but my body is a sore mess. I look at it that my DM is going on 94 and is very spry so I should have 30 more years at least or at least I hope so. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your mind will outlast your body.
I started feeling my age about ten years ago I'm 73 in January.
My mind is still good and its frustrating to have to garden in short spurts and be in pain too.
Ahh well onward and upward to the Motrin.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I hear you, Jo Ann. I'm right behind ya!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

To me he looks like a proud, Native American, from the S.W. who is expressing his love of woven textiles (as reinterpreted in plaid), cool western hats and giant belt buckles. Is anyone else seeing this? He has a beautiful, strong face. He is not overweight and must do physical work or eat a good diet (or both). He doesn't need to wear Gucci loafers and carry a monogrammed Tumi briefcase. He's a very fit, sexy looking guy. Come on now.
L

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What ever floats your boat, MaypopMy guys wear LL Bean or Eddie Bauer , no Gucci here.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2008 6:17 AM

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

He looks like an old cowboy to me. Are his fingers itching for a gun? Double plaid is a fashion statement to say the least, but as my engineer Dad always said - they have to go together - the lines all go the same way. (He said the same thing about wearing a checked shirt with plaid pants!) I do like the hat - I'm kinda partial to guys in cowboy hats. . .

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

AYankeeCat, your dad is very fashion forward!

Scottish clan plaids and Native American are very connected in history and culture. I always loved seeing the Chief of the Creek Nation in Oklahoma wearing a full feather headdress with a McIntosh kilt and sporran, as that was also his bloodline, at the gathering of the clans for the Scottish Games. It seemed so natural, not to mention colorful.

This dude could be also one who wears his colors and worn and weathered wrinkles with great pride. I would rather die wrinkled from honest work outside and feasting on left overs than from laying on a beach blanket and eating processed foods.

I love the plaid on plaid, but then my Grandmother was named Jessie McLean. And the belt buckle is so rodeo. Patti

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

It's a jolk. He looks like a Saturday night bar or square dance cowboy to me. Maybe he is all duded up for his grandaughter's wedding. I don't think he could shoot marbles.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm with you Docgipe.
I like the duded up for the wedding idea.
Those are his best clothes he has has for the past twentyfive years.
I know this because it is getting hard to find anything to wear if you are over 60.
Stiff joints means all upper garb has to open in the front. Pants need an elastic waistline because arthritic fingers cant grasp and pull those tiny zipper tabs.
We just "deal-with-it"

This message was edited Dec 10, 2008 4:46 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is another travisty of wardrobe justice.
"If you cant find a decent hat Dont wear one"

Thumbnail by ge1836
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I think he forgot to take his pajamas off. Or maybe that's standard nursing home issue!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL! JoAnn, I loved that one!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.