Sustainable Turkeys (not animal rights)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I wrote an article for DG today on heritage turkeys, which are sustainable... ie, they can breed naturally (among other criteria) where supermarket turkeys cannot without human intervention. Researching the 'net for information was a real eye-opener, with much of the data not suitable for an article. (Esp. youtube videos showing semen collection, and another on artificial insemination, never mind the atrocious living and trucking-to-processing conditions.) One thing I read was that today's factory turkeys may become extinct in a few years, due to inbreeding. A another factor cited is an increase in disease of vital organs in these birds, plus some physical body diseases (not normal bird diseases). I could not find an estimate of what % of these birds are already dying before market-ready, but I can guess no grower would want to release those statistics.

This afternoon I called a DG friend who raises chickens and heritage turkeys. She was encouraging me to consider raising heritage turkeys as it is very profitable. I won't, but only because I don't have enough fencing or flatish land for them to free-range. I DO hope to have just a few chickens next year... IF I can get a chicken tractor built.

Anyone have any thoughts on sustainable turkeys?

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!