CLOSED: Have: Red Alder (Alnus rubra) Seeds

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I got a little carried away harvesting seeds from this tree so I have a pile of extras.

Alnus rubra is a fast growing in youth then typically slows down considerably when it reaches the 20' range. It's tolerant of everything from moist, poorly draining areas to well drained sand/gravel areas and will grow in light conditions from full sun to a decent amount of shade. It's not a long lived tree as far as trees go, but it's a nitrogen fixing species that quickly makes great habitat for wildlife and provides useful wood.

The pictured tree is the proud mama tree, which is growing in an open area in full sun. When grown in shadier areas or amongst other trees this species is a lot narrower in growth and you tend to see a lot more of the lovely mottled bark because the branching tends to be higher up.

Seeds are small and could safely travel in a regular envelope so SASE would work just fine for those. I also still have some Big Leaf Maple seeds looking for a home - those ones are large and would need a SASBE. If anyone is interested just let me know.

~Amanda

This message was edited Jan 6, 2009 4:36 PM

Thumbnail by Spookycharles
Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Hi Amanda, i'm just curious about the trap? It looks like a catch & release type trap. What kind of critters are you trapping?

Have a nice day,

Larry

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Larry,

That's so funny - it really does look like a bear catch and release trap ;) No bears here though, just coyote, deer and friends. That's actually a home made three bin compost system. It's primarily for the veggie area, but we put it beneath the tree to conserve moisture during the composting process in the hotter months.

~Amanda

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Last call on Alnus rubra seeds. It's time to get these planted and I'll be donating whatever doesn't find a home by this weekend. I have three packs left (30 seeds per pack) for SASE. Just send a D-Mail my way if interested.

Thanks,
Amanda

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 2:55 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.