Edibles '08 Year-End Recap (or Part 5)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I hope no one minds, I started a new thread even though (for most) the season for growing has passed.

Even though we might not have NEW pics to share, I thought maybe we could use this RECAP thread to post pics of our highlights (or discuss the lowlights) of the past year.

I will start us off with a photo I snapped at the Atlanta Farmer's Market.

Something about this setting never seems cliché or old.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You should be growing snow cones any time now!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

oh yeah .... full swing! Italian ice is very popular!!

Thomaston, CT

I love collards, kale, & mustard greens. A friend from my writing class, who died this spring, loved kale--he let it come up in the garden wherever it seeded itself. He also wrote a very funny article about kale that was published in a gardening mag---don't know which one--it was a few years ago--but a few days after he died, there was a pot of kale soup in our grocery store--they usually sell 3 different kinds at lunchtime---but I never had seen it before---naturally, I bought some!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

All those dark green greens are very healthy.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

As are the orange oranges.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

When were you at the Atlanta Farmer's Market, William? You didn't visit me.

The last green beans (about three pounds) went into the pot tonight. The over-the-hill ones were shelled for soup beans. Part will be for dinner and the rest frozen for soup. I have collards in the pot now. Not very Southern with chicken broth and a dash of soy sauce. There are great ways to prepare greens that most can appreciate but, in general, they are not among the more mild coles and may be a bit of acquired taste. We have picked all the tomatoes, but will probably have "turners" for the next two to four weeks. Things are very slow in the garden and we are not much warmer than you are up Notch.

Have a great Thanksgiving, All. I'm making nine courses, seven of which will be all, or in part, from the garden. I have some catering and two cooking students tomorrow. Will catch you after the holiday.
Laurel

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the dark and vibrantly colored "greens."

That photo was from a couple of years back, Laurel! Before I knew ALL y'all were a-sittin' here waiting to be discovered and appreciated!! (Sorry, my southern drawl is weak!)

I was enlisted to pick-up a friend from Florida and provide transportation back to Buffalo. I have some really nice photos and memories from that fun trip!

I did have an awesome time in Atlanta, that fine sunny day.

I have an early date with the grocer tomorrow morning to (hopefully) get all the things I need for preps. Not hosting this year, so don't have to make much, but will anyway .... I tried to hint I would gladly prep the turkey this year, too, but I don't think my subtle undertones were heard. Fingers crossed! :-)

LOL. Isn't "All, Y'all" like a double negative? Is that like none of us? Geesh I'm feeling sensitive.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I thought "y'all" was singular and "all y'all" was plural.

:-)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sophie had greens tonight too. lol

Sir and Mam are singular and Y'all is plural for a mess of folks. :) Please remember, though I am a native Southerner, the parental units were NY City types and serious Yankee fans. This make me trilingual since DH and family are Bostonians, I have a passing ability to translate which came in handy when our engagement was announced.
L

I should add that when mixing NY Cityers and Bostonians at a black tie event, there should be an arbitrator as well as a translator. That's why I moved to Atlanta...I had burn out from the job! lol
Laurel

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

So Laurel, it sounds like you enjoy the respite from the Yankees. LOL I can't believe you also cater and teach cooking in addition to all the other things you do. How about coughing up some good side dish recipes for this week? LOL. Cyndie

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'd like to be a fly on the wall at that event. LOL

Never pre-suppose. DH's folks were the more "earthy" type and mine the more "spacial" (does that word apply? I was trying to think of the antithesis of earthy) . Need I say more? The wedding was a bride's worst nightmare. You could here my mother (the one who ran hotel and restaurant kitchens) cussing out the executive chef throughout the main room. I had to be the only wedding on the planet that had fillet of sole Marseilles as a main course. She was convinced he had substituted flounder. She knew her stuff and I'm sure she was right, but I bet no one else knew. Then they lost the wedding cake somewhere in the hotel and served cupcakes with tacky bride and groom thingies in each one. I thought Mom was going to pull out her Sabatier knives on everyone in the kitchen. I'm still recovering. After the wedding we went up to our room and I cried 'til I fell asleep. I'm never getting married again!

I'll send you some recipes pronto Cyndie. Hope you had a great holiday!
L

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Aren't people supposed to get married only once, anyway??

I would not be happy finding flounder substituted, I guess, either .... Like being sold orchids and finding dandelions when you got home and unwrapped it!

I hope recovery is swift, Laurel, ;-) and you can soon see it all as most humorous!! Sometimes people who have your best interests at heart loose sight of what is really important when they are trying to protect you, as only they know how.

I am sure the vow affirmation ceremony will go MUCH more smoothly for you!!

I think is saw "What is the plural of 'y'all?'" as a trivia question somewhere ........

William, we've been married for thirty seven years. The reaffirmation took place seventeen years ago. It's working. They found the wedding cake in a utility closet the next day. Case of kitchen sabatoge? It's all very funny now. I've seen and heard worse at other weddings.
L

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I've heard it can take 37 years ..... :- Glad it only took 20 ;-)

It took less than five minutes and I'd not change a thing (other than the Victoria's Secret catalogue and my figure).
Laurel

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Laurel, your figure is nothing to complain about! We do a reaffirmation of our vows every five years - at least we have so far. I'm not sure why DH likes to do it so much but it is a nice chance to invite friends we didn't know five years ago! It's his baby, I just do the party part.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.