Violet-Blue MTB or IB needs ID

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

I received this MTB as Vibrant Spring a number of years ago, but it does not fit the description (DNFD) since the markings on the haft are quite obvious.

Vibrant Spring: "Vibrant rosy red-violet self, inconspicuous markings deep in haft, violet flush below violet beard tipped yellow."

Thumbnail by hespiris
Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Garden visitors noted it as Spring Harmony, but alas, another DNFD.
Spring Harmony: Md Lav over Purp, deeper on edge; cream beard.

It grows like a weed in either full sun or part shade, and the timing is Mid-late IB/Early-Mid MTB.Any ideas who it might be?

Thanks for looking,
hespiris

Thumbnail by hespiris
Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

It is a beauty, I wish I could help.

South Hamilton, MA

Definiately a MTB, but I don't have an ID.Will look up the suposed ID in the median checklist.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

It reminds me of Missus Bee, but I'm not sure it's a match. It might be close enough to be worth getting a rz of Missus Bee to grow side by side for direct comparison.

South Hamilton, MA

Not Missus Bee, also older. Vibrant Spring says violet beards, tipped yellow ( the ends of the hairs are the tips. Is it yellow all the way down to the bottom or just the tips that color?

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Laurie, it does look alot like the pictures of Missus Bee.I had bought that at one time - but, according to memory and notes, it died and never bloomed - same with Little Paul.

The beards appear white tipped orangy-deep yellow in this unknown. Spring Harmony notes a darker edge on the falls, while this has a lighter edge.

I will have to pay better attention next spring. It is in a couple of spots in my garden - one with the IBs and SDBs, the other spot with the MTBs and SDB's where it tends to look... out of place for some reason. My MTB beds are a mix of older and newer.

The color in the picture is pretty true, and I had thought Missus Bee was blue-purple and darker.I've been double checking the descriptions before loading a picture to Plant Files, and since this one has alsawy been questionable, I was not surprised it wasn't VS - but surprised it was neither!

Thank you all for helping me get a match on this. It is one of those irises that gets sold at the local club sales because it is so prolific.

I have a couple of others in question - some also DNFD, others I think the camera sees different than the eye. Since I'm new at posting - is it okay to do a new post on each (easier to see) - or do it add them onto this thread?

As usual, it's late night in the NE... cold and raining...
Thank you again,
Sondra

South Hamilton, MA

Do you know club members well enough to ask for garden checks on which MTBs they grow? they might have pictures. MTBs are bad about forming bee pods & can drop seeds, resulting plants can get mixed up with their pod parent.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

What about SDB Spark Plug?

South Hamilton, MA

Definiately a MTB--but checking the height might be a good idea.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

I have a picture of Missus Bee for it bloomed this year.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

IrisMA,

I'm sorry to be so stupid, but what does MTB, SDB, DNFD & etc mean? We've grown TBI for over 56 years, but never got into the abbreviations used by iris breeders. As you can guess I don't do cell phones & text messaging either. 8^)

Donna

Olympiad

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Lebanon, OR

SDB=standard dwarf bearded
MTB=miniature tall bearded
IB=Interemediate bearded
AR=arils or arilbred
BB=Border Bearded

This are put into different classes by height and bloom season

D

South Hamilton, MA

Dee has it. Anytime you see a capital B, it stands for bearded. We have a cell phone for emergencies, What is Text, haha? My fingers wouldn't fit those little keys.

Lebanon, OR

Have cell but no text by chose, I figure if you can not talk to family you do not need to text. My grandson hates that I do not have text since he is living with us for a while...

D

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

HappyJackMom
DNFD - Does Not Fit Description. I use this abbreviation when checking 'Named' iris (vs unknown) against their description, and they don't match - reminds me check my purchase lists to see if I can get the correct ID on it.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Thank's guys, now I don't feel quite so stupid. I find that a lot of plants DNFD, and maybe/can be sports. We had a Big Leaf Maple tree in WA state that had one branch that had white and/or near white leaves on it. And of course some plants will revert back to a parent. When we first started a garden here 15 years ago, I planted Sweet Violets 'Freckles' under the oak trees, they have revert back to lavender violets, which I really like better anyway. Iris don't do that in my experience.

We would have a cell phone for emergencies, but no cell service for 25-30 miles away, maybe even into Winslow, AZ.

South Hamilton, MA

did you deadhead your white violets? Rather than 'reverting' they may have just dropped seeds & you are looking at the seedlings.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Yes, I did deadhead back then, since it was only one plant. But even if the seedings came up, 'Freckles' either died or never bloomed again. But if I remember right, before the young plants got so thick, 'Freckles' never showed up again. Then again, there may have been more than one plant in the original pot. With violets, it hard to tell how many there are, as the roots are so tangled. I do love the new flowers and they have provided many neighbors with beautiful flowers. And they smell soooo good.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice Yes but the seeds tend to go were they aren't meant to be like in my iris beds.

Thumbnail by DaLoveRat
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, violets can be very invasive! Your photo is beautiful. Ours have filled in a lot more since the pic was taken 4-5 years ago. Then of course, DH goes in to the middle of the bed and cuts some out for friends.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.