nastutium seeds

Louisville, KY

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please forgive what may be a question you have heard before. Last week, I collected seed pods that had dropped to the ground as I was pulling out nast. that had crapped out from the cold temps. What do I do with them now? Currently, they are drying out and turning brown on a paper towel. Do I let them dry completely or do I pry out the seed from the pod and let it dry? Also, do I even have viable seed? I have never grown this plant before or collected its seed. The pod was green when I picked them up off the ground, so I wonder if it's ripe.
Thanks for any help.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

If you found them on the ground, (and if they're pretty fat) they're probably viable. Let them dry completely on your paper towel (out of direct sunlight) and then you should be able to pop the seeds out without damaging them. Store the seeds in a cool, dry & dark place- if they seem completely dry, (like little wooden balls) you can put them in a glass or plastic jar (check for mold later anyway!) or put them in a paper bag or envelope for a bit of air circulation.

When you go to plant them, just be sure the soil is pretty warm- nasturtiums don't like it cold & damp.

This is a handy site on seeds:

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've saved seed from my nasturtiums this year too, and the seeds fell off as they dried. You mentioned prying them out of the pod, but I didn't really see pods, just the exposed, green seeds with a little papery husk around them. They look so odd to me, like little brains, LOL.

Louisville, KY

Thank you both so much. :) Yes, they were like fat little brains. lol One of the most unusual seed pods I have come across.
GS, what I mean by pod is the casing that surrounds the seed. Perhaps pod is not an accurate term. What I had found was a plump green pea-sized thing that was wrinkly, and when opened, contained a seed. I'm guessing that from what you described, these did not have a chance to fully ripen on the vine. Here's to keeping fingers crossed for spring blooms.

Thanks again for the growing tips and website nedweenie. These are very helpful.
Come on spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.