November Daily Weather - Season Changes Part III

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We are coming from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922311/

Thumbnail by Kelli

After seeing the rest of you all's weather, this is almost too embarassing to post.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PST on November 22, 2008
82 °F / 28 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 16%
Dew Point: 32 °F / 0 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.99 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 30000 ft / 9144 m
(Above Ground Level)

MIL is staying for a week. She wanted to get me a plant, so I chose this

Thumbnail by Kelli

and I had DH get me a yellow one. (Yeah, I'm spoiled. I admit it.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's in the 40s here, sunny and very windy.

Nice ones Kelli. My fav is the yellow one. :~)

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Kelli, the flowers are beautiful but I can't ID them. Would you be so kind as to say what they are. My brain must be quite addled. LOL Lee

They're Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks for getting back to me on them. They really are splendid. Lee

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm way too far behind to comment on everybody's posts but I do want to say "welcome" to our newcomers: Rusty and Lee.
Kelli: my Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus has some great big buds on it and should be blooming out within a few days. I can't take a picture of it though, because my DGD borrowed my camera a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to get it back.
Sharon: I am sorry you have been under the weather and I hope you are better by now. I just skimmed over the previous thread so I may have missed it, but did you lose your job because you were ill? I certainly hope not!
I believe I have already thanked you all for your kind words of condolence in the loss of my husband but just in case, I want to say again how wonderful the good people here on Dave's Garden have been. I have received many cards and dmails and many of you have signed the online guestbook. It means so much to me to know that you took the time to do that. Thank you again for everything.

It has been very cold here and it is currently 40º with a low of 31º expected tonight but a warmer high tomorrow of 58º.

Hugs to you all,
Marilyn

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Marilyn, you are kind to welcome us and I appreciate it very much. Marilyn, of course I didn't know of your profound loss and do allow me to add my condolences. Warmly, Lee

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Lee. I appreciate that.

Marilyn

(Zone 5a)

Marsue - it's good to see you posting again :-) We missed you. So glad that your DGS wasn't injured.

Lee - Thank you for your kind comment and Welcome to daily weather :-)

Kelli - glorious november cactus, I've never seen a yellow one - very nice :-)

Joey - thanks - the recital went very well. We're very proud of her :-)

This is the cliff where those photogenic puffins were hanging out - it was back in July 2006 .....

Have a good night all!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli: Thanks for the new thread! I love your "new" cacti. I searched for a yellow one this week, but all I could find were the red.
Marsue: Good to "see" you. :)
Rann: What a beautiful spot. No wonder the Puffins like it.

Still darn cold, but now it's Dyson dark!!
;>
Deb

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

than you Rann for the lovely pictures and the interesting information you share. Lee

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the white Christmas orchid cactus:

It sitting in attach garage with window

Thumbnail by JuJu55

It looks like you have a bunch of them. How many do you have?

I had never seen a yellow one before. I had heard of them but not seen them.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have 2 red, 2 yellow with pink middle, 2 pink with white (photo show) and 1 orange...

Yellow is only color gold... I has see at Wal-Mart early ask for $7.00 so flowers gone quickly then can't tell which is it!

(Zone 7a)

It seems I've had several of these and I've killed every single one. I don't try anymore. I'll just envy yours! LOL

Mau! So nice to have you posting again. We missed you lots. (((((HUGS)))))

Sharon, look what's happening!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Kwanjin, is that pic that of a hibiscus? Lee

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Christmas ocrhid cactus not need water in winter time just only until it dry little bit water (I have let Mother's Nature water plant it work) until spring or late summer I put all out on my back porch deck...

Day before first frost hit just bring in or they will be froze easy and mushy...

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 8:18 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

(((((Marilyn!)))) glad to have you posting again.
It's turned into a lovely little Family here and when one of us is hurting we all are.

Well I guess I better grab the bull by the horns.
Many of us already know this but Sidney (Sugarweed) won't be posting at Dave's any more.
There was an incident on another Forum.
Please free to DMail me privately.
'Nuff said here in public.

Here's where we ended up last night on the FPR.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here we are just before the insulation and barrier.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It is cold here in Pa. Nigh time temps in the 19-22 deg range. Daytime in the 'up to 32' range. Snow flurries from off of Lake Erie. We have about 4 inches that mels on the roads and driveway during the highs of 32 and sunny. Have not gone out for 4 days. No energy nor inclination to do so. I figure my body says stay home and recuperate - so I listen to it.

It is interesting to see more and more people raising small animals for meat - goats and sheep. Although I never could like sheep and lamb, I raised about 1/2 doz goats at a time. Their flesh is low fat and has the texture of venison - with out the 'gamey' taste. I love venison - it is high protein low fat meat but requires a different seasoning procedure.

The large 'Dutch Giant' rabbits, filled with stuffing and roasted are really a treat. Only thing was, my husband got attached to the critters and was reluctant to eat them. I ended up taking them to a local livestock auction as they will quickly eat you out of house and home.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Back when I raised rabbits pellets were cheap, you could raid the grocery dumpsters for old veggies and I had enough room to put a pen rather than cage them. (think free range chicken housing)
They cost about nothing to raise.... now it's a different story.
Plus Robyn won't eat the meat we raise... so.... I let someone else do it.... LOL!

Looks like near 50 tomorrow and Sunny!
28° now and calm....

Here's where we finished tonight.
Make no mistake Robyn does at least 50% of the work.
I've been teaching her to use the power tools and she does ALL the tiling.
She cut almost all the 2 x 4's in this section.
I measure, yell out the size, she cuts and I nail or screw them up.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin, Missouri (Airport)
Updated: 56 min 15 sec ago
33 °F / 1 °C
Clear
Windchill: 26 °F / -3 °C
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 26 °F / -3 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 30.25 in / 1024 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 981 ft / 299 m

Rusty still don't want go outside again lol . Rusty alway sit by me and worried my health...

I just go shopping at Big Lot and got nice colors came out is tan, red, and green (Autumn Memories) scrapebook papers so I try make a bind book for that and get all of my pictures which I was on Mother Road (Route 66) and some other place that I remember on road...

Have a nice day and stay warm again.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's windy and cold, mostly cloudy and dry. 37°F.

Ric - so sorry to hear about Sidney, shocked really. You have D-mail.

Sally - I forgot yesterday to thank you for your kind comments about Selma, and you noticed her bow grip! Do you play?

All this talk about eating rabbits is interesting ..... I've heard they're good but I couldn't possibly try them since we have a pet rabbit. She earns her keep by providing me with droppings I mix in with the compost ;-) lol

Another "re-run", this one's from December 2007 ...

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Got it Rann.
You have DMail.

Cold again here but nothing like yesterday morning. 21°
Watching football I noticed the super cold appears to have pushed further East.
The funny thing is that it's currently 51° in Denver, CO at just after Sunup.....
We should see temps near 50° today under Sunny skies.... then the rain/snow move in.....

Beautiful Thanksgiving Cactus!!
Ours didn't get a lot of care this year so are not yet budding.
Our Hibiscus though still hasn't stopped cranking out the blooms.

Thought you'd get a kick out of the insulation in the 'bay' under the closet.
We got 5 HUGE bags of it from our Son's friend.
It's actually door and window insulation but...... lol!
Edited to add:
W/o the ceiling being insulated and using only a small oil filled heater it was 42° in the room this morning.
Since the temps were near 20° last night...... not bad! lol!

Ric

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008 9:47 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, gorgeous orange on that pumpkin! Thanks for the new thread. What beautiful plants!! What beautiful family! If I had to chose which color I'd be there all day!!

Marsue, you're family and a beautiful person. I hope you can come back full time soon. We miss you!

Rann, I love cliffs and this one is so pretty. I love the exposed layers of earth. It's like it's giving it's secrets away.

Rusty, you sure have a green thumb! I'd like to see a picture of all of them blooming at the same time. I wish I had room for one. (My cats would eat it if it sat out.)

Kwanjin, I love your enthusiasm! Can't wait to see it fully open. It's sure red!!

Crying for Sugar.

Ric, it's coming along. I sure wish I had a new room.

Seeds, we have to listen to our bodies. Hope you recoup soon!

Ric, Robin has my admitation!!

Rusty, sounds like a very nice scrapbook in the making. It's good to have a hobby and warm dog by your side in the cold weather :o)

Rann, it would be nice, but I can't sing a note much less find one on an instrument. I notice how people hold it because I really like violin music. I'm proud of her too, for mastering it. What a beautiful picture!

Ric, the insulation brought a smile to my face, but you won't regret it! And those temps are not bad indeed!

30* and sunny. I hung clothes out at 27*. A bit cold on the fingers.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks to all of you for the hugs and for missing me and for considering me "family". I consider you all to be a part of a very special family, too!
Rann: as always, Selma is a lovely "flower" (and Hildur Eva, too) Lovely "re-run" photos. :o))
Celia: . Pretty red flower. What is it?
Ric, you have dmail. Missing Sugar. The FPR is coming along nicely.
My son used to raise rabbits when he was in high school. That "project" didn't last very long--taking care of them took up more time than he was willing to spend. I never could have eaten one of them. They are much too cute! LOL

Currently 45º and overcast. Feels colder than that to me probably because we haven't seen the sun at all today. High this afternoon to be around 56º.

Have a good day!
Marilyn

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Rann, your picture you posted at 7:52am today is beautiful and relaxing. You do post some very interesting and educational ones. Thanks, Lee

(Zone 7a)

So nice to see you back, Mau! We missed you. Family is extremely important, even those you've never met.

33°F with 52º for later today. Sunny and pretty. Rain coming after T-Day.
Feels like: 33°F

Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 27°
Humidity: 78%
Visibility: 8 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 5:03 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Afternoon, all!
We had yet another freeze last night. So strange. Warming up nicely now. No freeze predicted for the next week at least.
Never been this cold in November. Come on spring!!
Ric: Do you sleep? ;->

My T-giving cactus's first bloom.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I learned a long time ago about a boss being a friend. I think everyone should be human enough to show compassion to others regardless of the relationship.

Enough of the bad stuff…
Sally – I squeaked my way through the sale. Mitzi spoke for me often though LOL!
Rann – I think I want to move to Iceland LOL! The bosses there are very generous. How did Selma do at the recital? I’m sure she did a great job J
Kelli – Thanks for the new thread! Pretty cacti – I’ve never seen a yellow.
Marsue – HI! No I didn’t loose my job, just less respect for my boss. So glad to see you back. You are part of our family.
Rann- The cliffs are beautiful!
Celia – YAY! Beautiful :)

62.6 °F / 17.0 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 44 °F / 7 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.42 in / 1030.0 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft / 3352 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft / 5 m

Today
Partly cloudy. High 62. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

The yard sale went pretty good this time, not as good as the first. Everyone was complaining at how "cold" it was at 52* LOL! Luckily I had lost my voice and "they" couldn't hear me laughing. We'll hold another in a couple of weeks. Still have more "stuff" and more "stuff" to go through. My voice is coming back, but I'm still not 100% well.

I went for a little drive this morning and finally, after years of hearing about the peacocks on Scott Road, saw 2 peacocks. I've only seen them in a zoo. They are sooo beautiful in person. There is a sign in the street with a picture of a peacock and "crossing" written under. This picture isn't great, the sun was glaring on the wind sheild, but it's when I first saw them.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Deb - we crossed - beautiful cactus :)

Here is another. They wandered across the street and went to a puddle to drink.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Their necks are the most beautiful shade of blue

Thumbnail by MySharona

One more

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: I'd venture to say that's something ya don't see every day! Cool!

Yeah, I was talking to a friend on the phone the whole time "OMG - you should see this"! LOL!

I wish one of them had spread it's tail, but am happy to have finally seen them. It was one of the "WOW" moments :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Celia. (Maybe one of these days I will tell this "gang" how I came to be known as "Mau". LOL)
Sharon: glad you are getting your voice back. Great photos of the peacocks. Scott Road is very pretty with the way the trees arch over the road and come together making a "tunnel". I need to have a garage sale and get rid of "somebody else's treasures", better known as "my junk". P.S. You should see my "donkey ears"! My DGD still has my camera but when I get it back I will take a picture of it.
Deb: pretty cactus--I have only had white Thanksgiving cacti. I'd like to have one the color of yours and now that I have seen Kelli's yellow cactus, I'd like to have one of those, too. However, I'll have to get a greenhouse first because I'm just about on overload when it comes to house plants. :o))

Currently 47º and still overcast. No sunshine at all today. :o((

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: I just read the latest on Gary in the journal at Caring Bridge. So sorry that he had a setback but I am glad to know that he was released from the hospital and is resting at his mom's home now. Prayers are continuing for him and your entire family.

(Zone 7a)

I just read that, too. Sending more (((hugs))) and happy thoughts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.