Creeping Charlie

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Are Creeping Charlie and Ground Ivy the same thing? How do you get rid of it? I've tried Roundup and hand pulling and it keeps coming back. Thanks

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a photo:

Thumbnail by stormyla
Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

I have been fighting this for several years.....this past summer, a professional landscape friend of mine recommended a chemical "Lesco Three Way" - it was not cheap, but nothing ventured, nothing gained - I found a source nearby and got some.....it worked !!!! On a few really thick areas, it took a second application, but the weed died. Now, the thing to be cautious about is the fact that this chemical will kill anything, so be sure to protect anything that you do not want to kill....I often use a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut out and stick the sprayer nozzle in the top - that way the spray is contained - or of course you can make any sort of device you need to do the job....the other thing is that it works best when the temp is under 80 F.....don't know the low range.
To find a source near you, just do a google search on Lesco Three Way and a lot of sites will come up..........good luck

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, jrwbirds. Did you plant anything in the spots that you sprayed afterward? How long after spraying did you wait?

Roundup did kill some of what I have, but more grew back.

I have a lot of it growing where voles have made tunnels through the grass. If I spray it, will all of the surrounding grass die, and then have to be replanted?

There is also a lot of it growing around the edges of my beds, which I have sprayed and pulled up many times.

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

I waited a couple of weeks......was not sure about that issue, so I put in some annuals (cheap)and they did fine..

On this weed, I think Roundup just burns the foliage, but does not kill the roots.

Anywhere you spray it, the grass will die, so you would need to replant....if it is a small area, the grass will fill in pretty quickly on its own....yes, I am a lazy gardener

the edges of beds are the easiest......kill the points of inflow and then the bed can be quickly erradicated by diligent hand pulling....I have a couple of areas that the GI is in the lawn...OK grass.. around daylily beds and this is the method I use with success

good luck........jan

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Jan. I'll look around for some of the Lesco. I don't want to have a lot of eyesores in the lawn over the winter, so maybe I'll wait for spring to spray and then put some grass seed down on the large patches.

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

a correction....Lesco Three Way is a broad leaf herbicide.....so, lawns should not be affected....On the web site, there is a complete list of applicationsm so be sure to read it. I, with my "chemo brain" just get things confused every once in a while......have been taking chemo treatments since late Aug - hopefully, it is working......don't want to go thru this again.

jan

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

WeedBGone works quite well on Creeping Charlies as long as you apply it when it's actively growing in the Spring. It may take two applications, a week apart, but I got rid of mine.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Pastime. I may actually have some of that.

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

any broadleaf killer with dicamba in it will knock CC back......I have found three way to be the most effective.......of all the weeds, I think CC is the most frustrating...

I have used Roundup to kill a lilac bush so why wouldn't it kill Creeping Charlie, and many other weeds?

The reason may be that it self sows and sprays don't kill the seeds already in the ground. Best time to spray is before a weed sets seeds, and when it is actively growing during spring and summer.

Also, when you pull a weed out, any tiny root left behind will sprout a new plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.