My first egg ever!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! I am so excited! Chirp, my first hen just layed her first egg.
She used the new nesting box and everything. She is all grown up!!!!!
It may be little but its pure gold to me!
This just made my whole day.
I think the 9 inches of snow we got yesterday just scared it out of her. LOL!
Well here it is!

Thumbnail by sewincircle
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Congrats Jeanmarie! Hope you have many, many more!!!!!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much! I am so happy. Bronze it or eat it? lol

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

very pretty egg

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh how exciting! I haven't gotten my first yet and just can't wait. Congratulations! Can we see a pic of the special lady? I say Bronze it..

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Is this the best day ever or what???? I went out again this morning to fill the feeders and just glanced in the boxes. Same box....another egg! She must have layed the first one yesterday evening after we tucked them in because I dont think the others are laying yet. They are a bit younger than her! I am so giddy! Two eggs, one chicken, one day! WOW! I am Blessed!

Thumbnail by sewincircle
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I will run out and take one! BRB

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay...Here she is. I think she is glowing!

Thumbnail by sewincircle
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

And her sweet face. I was thinking that I may not get any this year til spring. I guess the cold did not affect her like I thought. I have a light on in the hen house. Its bright enough to look like July at midnight in January. LOL I cant wait to get your Praise report! Those eggs will come and I will be here to see the pictures!!!! Thanks everyone!

Thumbnail by sewincircle
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

BTW would anyone know what kind of chicken she is? It does not really matter I love them all. I was just curious. :/ jeanmarie

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a wonderful day!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you! Wonderful sums it up. ;D

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Congrats Jeanmarie! I can share your excitement -- it wasn't too long ago that my girls started to lay.

RE: Bronze it or eat it - we may be nuts, but we blew out the first three eggs of each of our girls (we only have 3) and then put them on display in a shadow box in the kitchen. Its quite cute. :-)

She is beautiful -- not sure what type. Someone with more knowledge will come along and say for sure.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I cant believe it! I was just thinking the same thing!!!! I have to figure out how to do it w/o cracking the eggs! :o

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

My DH used his dremel tool to make a very small hole in the top and bottom and then just blew on the top over a bowl -- by the way, we still ate them, it was just scrambled. ha!

You can also just use sometime small and sharp to make the hole, if you don't have a dremel tool.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I do have drills but I dont believe we have a dremel here. I am sure I can get one though. My dad has some and I use to use them at work. I am thrilled to have them forever. well at least the shells. How did you wash them out? I will eat them just to experience the whole "first egg thing"!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

You can us a very sharp needle just fine. Remember to take a tooth pick and scramble the egg up inside of the shell so it will be easier to blow out.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Good Call! I dont want to pass out blowing on an egg! Explain that one in the ER. LOL

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

i have tried doing it and you could pass out. LOL

Belchertown, MA

Congratulations!!
It's better than Christmas when you find the first one!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thats how I felt all day! I told everyone and anyone that would listen.
I am excited to go out tomorrow and see if there is another! Everyday is an adventure!
Thanks for listening Teresa83!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

People at my work think I'm a nut, well they aren't too far off, but anyway, they think I'm a nut because I was ecstatic each time one of my girls started laying.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, I have told everyone and anyone that would listen. Even some who wouldnt! LOL
Maybe we are a little nuts? But I like it! ;) This is great! I got two eggs in one day. I cant wait til tomorrow. Maybe another. Either way, she made me proud! I love her big time!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

My girls have suddenly slowed down... they were really in production there for a bit, but now its slowed. I don't know if its just the light catching up or what, but I still love my girls. they are so hilarious. I was actually a bit bummed with DH had already closed them up for the night when I got home. I love coming home and seeing them preening themselves on the back step. :-)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Excellent news! So happy for you and your hen! She's a beauty!

My egg production is currently only at 2 to 3 a day, and I have about 70 hens! Insane! Some of them are too old to lay, some are too young to lay, and those that should be laying are too affected by the cold, the day length, or their recent traumatic past (by this I mean the ones I recently rescued) to be laying.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Ohhh! It really makes me sad when the poor things have been neglected! I am glad they have a new home and a place to recover from the trauma. You have a big heart to take them on!

How many immature chickens do you have? All mine but one are too young to lay. She was my very first hen. We started with three chicks. Two turned out to be roos, so I gave one of the roos to a friend. I love them all though!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yup! (the next day) egg number 3! Could not be prouder of that sweet girl! Thanks for listening!
jeanmarie

Clarksburg, MO

Congrats on your new girl laying. I remember my first egg and it is so eggciting. Going to the Er after blowing out an egg would not be the thing to do. Let us know how it goes.

SHeila

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

How many immature chickens do I have....oh goodness...

I have 6 that are about 17-18 weeks old.
I have maybe 10-12 that are about 15-16 weeks old.
I have about 20 that are about 10-12 weeks old.
I have about 20 that are about 4-6 weeks old.
I have about 20 that are less than 3 weeks old.
I have a bunch of eggs in the 'bator, some due tomorrow, some due Monday, some due on the 29th, and a couple of batches due in early December.

Yes, since I hear you asking, I am indeed completely nuts.
Claire

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Congrats on your first eggs!

We just found out my daughter's rooster is not a rooster! LOL It is an Araucana/game bird cross so we had no idea what to look for.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

My 1st hatch is due the 29th also, and the 2nd batch is the 8th. I know I am nuts for doing this in the winter. got a good deal on the bators tho. So HAD to get some eggs to put in them.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Badseed,
now thats an error you don't often hear. congrats on the little layer!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Badseed, do the Araucana/game birds have distinct characteristics? Do the females have large combs? I really dont know much about the breeds! I am glad it turned out to be a hen!!! (unless she wanted a roo) Its usually the other way around. All my roos had girls names til they crowed. LOL
Loves 2garden, do you have other chickens? Or are these your first? How many are you hatching? Its not crazy if you have the room! I just dont have any place to put them in the winter.
Cmoxon, okay, you got a few!!! LOL What do you do with them all???? Do you breed to sell? show? eggs? Or all of the above. I would truely like to have more chickens but I wont push my luck with my husband. It took 14 years to get the dozen I have. ;)
Thanks! jeanmarie

LOL do I have other chickens, yea like about 300 give or take. Building an outside brooder this weekend for the chicks.

13 doz of eggs in the sportsman due the 8th of december and then 3 doz in the brower due the 29th.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

WOW! WOW! WOW! Now thats a lot of chickens! luvs2garden, what do you do with all your chickens? eggs, breeding, ... I am just curious. You must have a huge lot for them. Do they free range? WOW again. Okay, my jaw is back in place. LOL

Yes to eggs Yes to breeding Yes to free ranging, they have access to 40 acres but just use about 2 acres give or take.

My plans are right under 1 thousand hens.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Cool! I would like to have a few more. Especailly when I see pics of all these really beautiful chickens! My daughter really wants a Turken! I would rather add Silkies or Frizzles! Or those new birds Sarah put on a thread...Sizzle ;) Who knows she may change her mind. I told her she could pic out her own. I guess that means Turkens! hehehe!
Do you breed to sell? Eggs, chicks, adults? OK is a long way from here!
My sister is moving to OK. She is selling her house in AL.

Yes will be selling eggs, chicks, and adults. Where abouts in OK?

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I am not sure yet. Her husbands family already live there on a farm. But i cant remember where. I will ask her though. wont call her now cause of the time dif and she likes to sleep. NOT A FARM GIRL (yet) hehehe! She does not share my enthusiasm for the chicken. :(

very good. it is cold here now and usually isnt this cold yet. The Almanac did say we would be below normal this winter. I was raised a city girl until I was 16 and hated living in the country then. I cam back to the country about 3 years ago and I LOVE it. There is NO way I would go back to city living.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.