to grow good coleus

Coushatta, LA

If you want your coleus to grow big and tall.Then put rotten cotton from a cotton gin in your flower bed.I did that and it made them spread out.So if you know somebody at a cotton gin try to get the rotten cotton that has been there the longest.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL - that is definitely regional advice! There are some cotton gins in this state, but they're about 4 hours west of here.

Coushatta, LA

well if you know someone that is every going that way let them know.

Coushatta, LA

It is good for all plants in flower beds and so is rotten pine straws

Great, thanks for the advice. And I just might head west here, soon...

Coushatta, LA

you are welcome.my coleus done better in the ground with the rotten cotton then in the pot.

Coushatta, LA

Oh by the way if you put rotten cotton from a cotton gin in your flower bed,watch it because you will have cotton plants in your bed i did.Its neat it starts out being a pretty flower then it turns to cotton.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't want to put anything rotten in my flower beds or pots because of the smell. We have lots of cotton in Texas and there are companies that compost the burs and bag and sell it and it is good as a soil amendment, but no better than other composted products. There's nothing magical about it.

*sigh*

Coushatta, LA

I did not say it was any thing magical about it thank you.I was just letting some people out their know that you can use it,because some don't know about thank you.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Pagancat - I just sat down and out of the blue happened to click on this thread from the bottom of my "home" page because I always like to see what's going on in the coleus forum. I read through it, saw your sigh, and I just burst into laughter! I love Dave's for oh so many reasons!
And you know what RoseGirl, Paul James on Gardening by the Yard was just talking about cotton burs as mulch. He really seemed to like it. Apparently he can't get pine straw as readily as we can here in the south. Thanks for the tip about the rotten cotton. I'm headed to MS for Thanksgiving and pass some fields. I may see if I can check it out.

Coushatta, LA

Put it this way we planted our roses and perennials this year and they grew huge.Plus it's free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 11:24 PM

Coushatta, LA

Thank you so much 3gardeners.

Coushatta, LA

3gardeners go to a cotton gin if you can.The longer its been there the better.

And free is my favorite price!

Coushatta, LA

That's right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

RoseGirl- since we can't use italics in our posts, why don't you use all capital letters along with your strings of exclamation points? It might get your ideas over even stronger.
Sawdust is free, too, but I'm not sure I want to pile them it all over my flower beds.
You've made your point. "Rotten" cotton burs make things grow "HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Have you considered bagging and selling this product? You give a powerful testimony. Anecdotal "evidence" is a strong selling point. Just browse the Internet and there's lots of it out there.

Coushatta, LA

Look dude go take your smart remarks some where else.Looks to me that you are nothing but a trouble maker.Look dude just because somebody likes my idea and you can't stand stinky stuff around you that is your business.Grow up and what ever.

Hi Pagan Cat....I love your sense of humor...(We were real life buddies in Phoenix)
Thanks for the cotton info Rose Girl!

Thumbnail by
Coushatta, LA

You are very very welcome Booplants.

Yes, thank you - I'm always amazed and comforted that people are so willing on these forums to take the time to type out all the information and tips that they do, and ask nothing in return but to be treated well.

Thank you, RoseGirl. This one's for you and Boo - 'Angel Face'

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Coushatta, LA

You are very welcome.

Thanks for the Rose PC! I love it's fragrance! :-)

Coushatta, LA

Yeah thanks for the Rose.You are so sweet.

Wish I could give ya'll the real thing.

Okay, back to the coleus!!!

Coushatta, LA

I wish i could get some cuttings of your angel face.It's a beautiful rose.

Ha - me too. I had it at my last home in Phoenix, Arizona.

Coushatta, LA

I can't believe you didn't dig it up and take it with you.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Just checking in on the Coleus forum as I do every week or so to see what's going on. A person never knows when there might be some useful information and not mostly chit-chat.. I wonder if you fine ladies know about d-mails, which are useful for one-on-one conversations because they don't show up for EVERYONE who runs through the latest postings.

As for "back to the coleus," (post #5823676), someone's intentions were good, but it didn't quite work out, did it?

Coushatta, LA

LLLLOOOLLL!!!

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Happy to have made your weekend! Have a lovely Thanksgiving celebration. Maybe you long-time comrades can get together.

Coushatta, LA

Some to you.

Coushatta, LA

SORRY same to you dude.

James, are you now part of the admin staff? Congratulations on your new-found employment.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Please keep in mind that folks come here for information and friendship. We can all be civil and find ways to post a response without being sarcastic.

Please bear this in mind and read over your posts before you send them.

Coushatta, LA

Thank you so much.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You're quite welcome.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Pagancat and TheRoseGirl have a vendetta going against me. It's ok, but I'm glad an administrator stepped in. I'm a big boy and just shrug it off, but they ought to be called down. There are prima donnas on all lists, and they evidently want to share the honor.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

dp72, we try to avoid "calling people down" especially in public. It's unnecessarily embarrassing for most of the issues we deal with on a daily basis.

However, several of your posts here border on rude, which--regretfully but not surprisingly--triggered some rude replies in response.

We can't make everyone exercise diplomacy in their choice of words, but our Acceptable Use Policy does require that you exercise restraint when interacting with other members in our forums. (read: if you can't write anything nice, then sit on your hands instead of pushing "send.") Any questions? Please refer to the Acceptable Use Policy for clarification, or use the "Contact Us" to reach our admin team.

so, moving on....

I love this forum and love all I am learning here about coleus from everyone. Don't throw your keyboards at me but...........my coleus are still thriving right now in Phoenix. You may live vicariously through mine until they also die off from the winter frosts. I have rooted several.

This was just taken three days ago. See it's sport? (Thanks Dale for helping me learn what a sport is)

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.