asiatic yellowood

Louisville, KY

Has anyone ever grown this tree from seed? I have buckets of them, but have never started one. Any help is appreciated. I searched on google, but there is little info for this.
Thanks
Also, I'm happy to share seeds for SASE

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Where, and how long ago, did you collect the seed?

When you write Asiatic Yellowwood, do you mean it is really Cladrastis platycarpa (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/173174)? Or is it Cladrastis sinensis, which has had a difficult time growing in the eastern US.

I can speak to growing American Yellowwood from seed, Cladrastis kentukea (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1588/). I would expect that fresh seed from the above species would not be terribly different to grow.

Seed can be scarified in hot water or with sulfuric acid (!) to allow imbibition through the hard seed coat. One could also sow outdoors, and allow nature to work its wonder slightly more slowly. I have had seedlings germinate in landscape beds with no assistance from me. The seeds aren't particularly interesting to animals, so you could sow seed trays and store them outdoors over the winter.

Louisville, KY

I'm refering to maackia amurensis. And I collected the seeds a very recently. The pods have a very thick sticky interior that is difficult to wash off, making storage of seeds questionable, at least for me.
So, I'm wondering if direct sow is the way to go, how deep, do they require stratification, do the seeds need that gooeyness for a reason, ect...

OK, you pulled an atypical common name on me. I only know that plant as Amur Maackia, though it is related to the yellowwoods (Cladrastis spp.).

I know someone who is quite partial to this plant, and has personally grown seedlings. I'll report back.

Louisville, KY

Your'e a sweetie. Thanks. This tree is quite hardy here, very fragrant in flower and something different than the same old thing eveybody has. I'd love to see more and also start a few from seed to offer to other folks.

I'd still like to know where you collected the seed.

The finest specimens I know of this species are the grove down at Bernheim, along the main drive not far from the ginkgo collection. There are some 40 year old beauties there, and I've admired them ever since I was knee-high to a viburnum.

Just took a look in PlantFiles; I can't believe I haven't posted any pictures of these. I'll have to get on that this weekend.

Louisville, KY

Practically in my front yard. Two are growing very close by.

I've been to Bernheim a few times for classes. Wonderful place, but a bit too far to hop over when the whim hits.

You can probably see Bernheim from your place, compared to way over here by the Toyota plant in Georgetown. I don't get down to the arboretum as much as I used to; I need to make more of an effort.

Here's what I've learned about seed propagation of Maackia amurensis; sounds like folks don't have to put a lot of effort into it.

•"I grew some several years ago, and I had good results at straight 70ºF, but it would never hurt to give them a winter outside...if you can keep the mice away from them."
Scott in Cincinnati

•"Seedlings pop up under my tree, so I would say cold/moist is good for
germination."
Kevin in Chicago

Here are some of the trees at Bernheim...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Louisville, KY

Thanks for the info VV. This does sound easy. I don't mind a challenge, but I'll take a cake walk too.
Great pic too. Bernheim is truly a great place to see and they offer some unique classes. An excellent reason to grab your kid's nose out of technilogical gadgetry and toss them into the woods for awhile, let them see what real dirt feels like. lol

Another tidbit from the Maackia collection, showing leftover seed pods in June 2006 with new flowers just getting ready to open.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Louisville, KY

Ooooh, lovely. Thanks for the pic. That tree is a bit different from the ones out front. But, it is very close in leaf structure, although the leaves are a bit smaller. It's always tricky to tell from one photo, but those pods seem to be the main dif. I wish I could post a pic, but no camera. Sorry.

Eau Claire, WI

Why are you letting the poster get away with calling it Asiatic Yellowwood? You took me to task not so long ago for using this common name. Something about it disparaging our native treasure. What up? Are you showing favoritism for a fellow Kentuckian? ;)

Now, now. It must be awfully cold up on the frigid frontier; are your bourbon supplies getting low? I'll see if there is a midwestern version of the Iditarod scheduled to save the day.

I have a hard time finding fault when the OP is using the terminology found in PlantFiles. However (one plant geek to another), some elder statesmen should just know better, especially when it is their namesake.

At least the OP thinks this is a great plant - maybe I ought to harp on that...

Danville, IN

Dirr instructs to soak seed in hot water overnight, then sow it. (Note: Maackia amurensis is native to Manchuria and was introduced to N. America in 1864. Often called Chinese Yellowwood since it is so closely related to Cladrastis; in fact, some authorities have placed it in that genus... to add to the confusion.)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

(chuckle) Oh Maackia, you had it coming . . . .

And for the benefit of other readers here, I just want to make it clear that VV and Maackia have been good friends for a very long time.

Louisville, KY

Thanks for the sowing instructions and other info HoosierG, VV.
This has been a most stimulating thread.
In a few years, we can all sit underneath the shade of this conversation engaging tree and sip bourbon, my treat since Kentucky is the bourbon capital and as I will be playing hostess, then I should indeed be hostpitable.
Cheers y'all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.